It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2017
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Location: Canada
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.79
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 10:52
Hi Experts ,

I have my exam scheduled in 2 weeks , and all I gave my first diagnostic on Economic Tutor , I scored 410 . It is nerve wrecking to even think what will be the outcome in 2 weeks . Also its was diagnostic not even mock , does that mean i am going to be even worse in actual mock ?


I am studying 14 hours a day from a week taking a sabbatical from work . I am not aiming a 700 but 600 to 650 should qualify me for an admit.


Kindly guide me how i can improve on this ?
I am an average or point above average scorer in Verbal , and a below average to average in Quant.

Losing motivation and focus :(

Any help is appreciated.


Thanks Nisha :)


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

1 KUDOS received
Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 954

Kudos [?]: 487 [1], given: 113

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 11:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
nishasharmagsk wrote:
Hi Experts ,

I have my exam scheduled in 2 weeks , and all I gave my first diagnostic on Economic Tutor , I scored 410 . It is nerve wrecking to even think what will be the outcome in 2 weeks . Also its was diagnostic not even mock , does that mean i am going to be even worse in actual mock ?


I am studying 14 hours a day from a week taking a sabbatical from work . I am not aiming a 700 but 600 to 650 should qualify me for an admit.


Kindly guide me how i can improve on this ?
I am an average or point above average scorer in Verbal , and a below average to average in Quant.

Losing motivation and focus :(

Any help is appreciated.


Thanks Nisha :)


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Hi nishasharmagsk,

You have not mentioned how long have you been studying already. How are you performing in all the sections. When is your sabbatical ending?

From mba.com, download GMATPrep free CATs - it gives you 2 free CATs - and take one in two days.

Post your GMATPrep CAT-1 score and analysis here and then that should help decide whether you POSTPONE the exam.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 487 [1], given: 113

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Posts: 1691

Kudos [?]: 745 [1], given: 19

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 13:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi nishasharmagsk


1. From the Economic tutor test that you had given, you could try and understand what the problem
areas are. But from the score, it is kind of clear you need to put some consistent effort in all
the topics.

2. To begin with, it makes sense to clarify your concepts(for each topic that you made mistakes in) and then follow it up with
practice. To build your concepts, you could use Manhattan Guides for Verbal and Quant.

Alternatively, you could use the Quantitative Mega-Thread to build your Quant Concepts.

For SC, I will recommend you to use the eGmat to build your concepts(Am not sure if they still
give that package individually, but if they do, it is worth the money. The entire content is structured
in the form of videos and can be used to improve your scores.

You could use the PowerScore CR bible in order to get a basic understanding of how the CR section works.
For RC, this link is very beneficial: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

If time were not an issue I would recommend you to push your exam by sometime, because with a 410 in this test it seems a bit difficult to hit your target of 650. You should try the tests available on http://www.mba.com (as already mentioned) to ascertain your exact level and then take a call about the exam

Hope this helps you in some way
_________________

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 745 [1], given: 19

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2017
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Location: Canada
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.79
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 22:06
HKD1710 wrote:
nishasharmagsk wrote:
Hi Experts ,

I have my exam scheduled in 2 weeks , and all I gave my first diagnostic on Economic Tutor , I scored 410 . It is nerve wrecking to even think what will be the outcome in 2 weeks . Also its was diagnostic not even mock , does that mean i am going to be even worse in actual mock ?


I am studying 14 hours a day from a week taking a sabbatical from work . I am not aiming a 700 but 600 to 650 should qualify me for an admit.


Kindly guide me how i can improve on this ?
I am an average or point above average scorer in Verbal , and a below average to average in Quant.

Losing motivation and focus :(

Any help is appreciated.


Thanks Nisha :)


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Hi nishasharmagsk,

You have not mentioned how long have you been studying already. How are you performing in all the sections. When is your sabbatical ending?

I started prepping 3 months back. My raw scores are Q33 V15 (i ran out of time).

From mba.com, download GMATPrep free CATs - it gives you 2 free CATs - and take one in two days.

Will give this a shot.

Post your GMATPrep CAT-1 score and analysis here and then that should help decide whether you POSTPONE the exam.



Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7791

Kudos [?]: 18107 [1], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 04:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nishasharmagsk wrote:
Hi Experts ,

I have my exam scheduled in 2 weeks , and all I gave my first diagnostic on Economic Tutor , I scored 410 . It is nerve wrecking to even think what will be the outcome in 2 weeks . Also its was diagnostic not even mock , does that mean i am going to be even worse in actual mock ?


I am studying 14 hours a day from a week taking a sabbatical from work . I am not aiming a 700 but 600 to 650 should qualify me for an admit.


Kindly guide me how i can improve on this ?
I am an average or point above average scorer in Verbal , and a below average to average in Quant.

Losing motivation and focus :(

Any help is appreciated.


Thanks Nisha :)


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Hey Nisha!

Unfortunately, I don't think 600+ is achievable in 2 weeks if you are currently at 400. It doesn't matter which test you took - the gap is just too much. My sincere suggestion would be this:

- Postpone your GMAT to Jan/Feb. If you are targeting round 2, then this may not be possible. In that case, I would suggest you to take the test in 2 weeks but most probably as a trial run. If you do get an acceptable score, great! Else, cancel the score and take it again in 2-3 months.

- 14 hrs a day doesn't add much value. I suggest my students to study at most 6 hrs spread over a day - 3 for Quant and 3 for Verbal (for those at similar level in both). Hence, taking a sabbatical may not add a lot of value. Until and unless someone's work demands 12 hrs everyday, prep for GMAT should continue along with the job.

- Working hard is one thing, working smart is another. Many test takers focus on only solving questions. Have you ensured that your fundamentals are well taken care of? Have you gone through the complete curriculum of a test prep company? If not, you do need to do that. Thereafter, practice questions and their proper analysis will be required.

- Once you decide how you want to proceed, I can offer more advice.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18107 [1], given: 236

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2017
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Location: Canada
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.79
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 10:42
Thank you Karishma for your valuable inputs. I will take a chance with the exam and see where I land , if the score is not satisfactory would surely find a way.

I understand the exam is all about strategies and smart work, but for someone like me who has completely lost touch of these concepts , somehow it is building up confidence .


I was not even expecting more than 300 but got 410 with rigorous study of 2 weeks , so i would want your suggestions to understand if there are resources to improve on the weak topics of mine - absolute , PnC and statistics .


Really appreciate your inputs .
In case it doesnt work my way , its definitely the way you have shown me above .

Thanks ,
Nisha.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2017
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Location: Canada
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.79
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 10:46
pushpitkc wrote:
Hi nishasharmagsk


1. From the Economic tutor test that you had given, you could try and understand what the problem
areas are. But from the score, it is kind of clear you need to put some consistent effort in all
the topics.

2. To begin with, it makes sense to clarify your concepts(for each topic that you made mistakes in) and then follow it up with
practice. To build your concepts, you could use Manhattan Guides for Verbal and Quant.

Alternatively, you could use the Quantitative Mega-Thread to build your Quant Concepts.

For SC, I will recommend you to use the eGmat to build your concepts(Am not sure if they still
give that package individually, but if they do, it is worth the money. The entire content is structured
in the form of videos and can be used to improve your scores.

You could use the PowerScore CR bible in order to get a basic understanding of how the CR section works.
For RC, this link is very beneficial: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

If time were not an issue I would recommend you to push your exam by sometime, because with a 410 in this test it seems a bit difficult to hit your target of 650. You should try the tests available on http://www.mba.com (as already mentioned) to ascertain your exact level and then take a call about the exam

Hope this helps you in some way



Thanks for reverting , I went back and analysed the test. Most of my issues are silly calculation mistake , book to screen transition and inability to switch between topics which is if i solve one topic in a go i get them right but if there are multiple topics together , that transition is not happening . Think the more I practice, the more it may improve.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks ,
Nisha


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Posts: 1691

Kudos [?]: 745 [0], given: 19

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 11:02
nishasharmagsk wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:
Hi nishasharmagsk


1. From the Economic tutor test that you had given, you could try and understand what the problem
areas are. But from the score, it is kind of clear you need to put some consistent effort in all
the topics.

2. To begin with, it makes sense to clarify your concepts(for each topic that you made mistakes in) and then follow it up with
practice. To build your concepts, you could use Manhattan Guides for Verbal and Quant.

Alternatively, you could use the Quantitative Mega-Thread to build your Quant Concepts.

For SC, I will recommend you to use the eGmat to build your concepts(Am not sure if they still
give that package individually, but if they do, it is worth the money. The entire content is structured
in the form of videos and can be used to improve your scores.

You could use the PowerScore CR bible in order to get a basic understanding of how the CR section works.
For RC, this link is very beneficial: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

If time were not an issue I would recommend you to push your exam by sometime, because with a 410 in this test it seems a bit difficult to hit your target of 650. You should try the tests available on http://www.mba.com (as already mentioned) to ascertain your exact level and then take a call about the exam

Hope this helps you in some way


Thanks for reverting , I went back and analysed the test. Most of my issues are silly calculation mistake , book to screen transition and inability to switch between topics which is if i solve one topic in a go i get them right but if there are multiple topics together , that transition is not happening . Think the more I practice, the more it may improve.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks ,
Nisha


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app



Practice is definitely the key to improving your score!
Familiarity of the various topics being tested also help with making
that transition easier. I would recommend you to do a batch of 20-25
questions which test multiple topics.

These topics should be ones you have studied over the day. Continue
doing this and hopefully, by the time you are ready to take a full-timed
test, you would have successfully cleared this problem

Hope this helps you!
_________________

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 745 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2017
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Location: Canada
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.79
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 11:26
pushpitkc wrote:
nishasharmagsk wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:
Hi nishasharmagsk


1. From the Economic tutor test that you had given, you could try and understand what the problem
areas are. But from the score, it is kind of clear you need to put some consistent effort in all
the topics.

2. To begin with, it makes sense to clarify your concepts(for each topic that you made mistakes in) and then follow it up with
practice. To build your concepts, you could use Manhattan Guides for Verbal and Quant.

Alternatively, you could use the Quantitative Mega-Thread to build your Quant Concepts.

For SC, I will recommend you to use the eGmat to build your concepts(Am not sure if they still
give that package individually, but if they do, it is worth the money. The entire content is structured
in the form of videos and can be used to improve your scores.

You could use the PowerScore CR bible in order to get a basic understanding of how the CR section works.
For RC, this link is very beneficial: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

If time were not an issue I would recommend you to push your exam by sometime, because with a 410 in this test it seems a bit difficult to hit your target of 650. You should try the tests available on http://www.mba.com (as already mentioned) to ascertain your exact level and then take a call about the exam

Hope this helps you in some way


Thanks for reverting , I went back and analysed the test. Most of my issues are silly calculation mistake , book to screen transition and inability to switch between topics which is if i solve one topic in a go i get them right but if there are multiple topics together , that transition is not happening . Think the more I practice, the more it may improve.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks ,
Nisha


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app



Practice is definitely the key to improving your score!
Familiarity of the various topics being tested also help with making
that transition easier. I would recommend you to do a batch of 20-25
questions which test multiple topics.

These topics should be ones you have studied over the day. Continue
doing this and hopefully, by the time you are ready to take a full-timed
test, you would have successfully cleared this problem

Hope this helps you!


Thank you ! :)


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7791

Kudos [?]: 18107 [0], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 01:03
nishasharmagsk wrote:
Thank you Karishma for your valuable inputs. I will take a chance with the exam and see where I land , if the score is not satisfactory would surely find a way.

I understand the exam is all about strategies and smart work, but for someone like me who has completely lost touch of these concepts , somehow it is building up confidence .


I was not even expecting more than 300 but got 410 with rigorous study of 2 weeks , so i would want your suggestions to understand if there are resources to improve on the weak topics of mine - absolute , PnC and statistics .


Really appreciate your inputs .
In case it doesnt work my way , its definitely the way you have shown me above .

Thanks ,
Nisha.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum


The exam is about strategies and smart work, but first and foremost it is about strong fundamentals. So continue working on that.

Since your target score is 600 and you have limited time, you should try to spend more time on basics of number properties, algebra and geometry. P&C can be ignored for the time being.

Here are some posts on statistics:

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/categor ... om/?s=mean
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/categor ... +deviation
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18107 [0], given: 236

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2017
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Location: Canada
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.79
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 06:09
Thank you Karishma Mam, that helps.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2017
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Location: Canada
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.79
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 22:49
Hello Experts, I just gave a practice test on Veritas Prep (Free) , scored 530.
Any comments/Suggestion?

Also, is it a reliable source to measure in sync with official GMAT Exam?

Thanks,
Nisha.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

Re: Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2017, 22:49
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Improve GMAT score in 2 weeks

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.