Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 06:23 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 159
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22069 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
To improve quant score from Q40 to Q45 [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Radyah,

Why don't you take an official practice exam just to see how you do?

Thank you for the advice, scott . I took mock 1 again (I didn't review any of the questions before.) My score did improve but I'm not sure how inflated this score is, as I have seen questions get repeated, but only those I had got right in my first attempt (and some from GMATClub). I went from (Q39, V31) to (Q47, V38).

Either ways, I think I'm on the right track. Just a little more practice on remainders, combinatorics, series and word problems.

Any further advice and/or suggestions would be appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: To improve quant score from Q40 to Q45 [#permalink]
You could consider spending some time learning techniques to speed up calculations, learning squares and square roots (A Vedic Math Technique), memorise key formula using flashcards so no time is spent trying to recall/accuracy-check your formulae. Also, with big numbers where the answer options are spread apart, try using approximations while calculating

Hope it helps

________

The Guide Project
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Radyah wrote:
Thank you for the advice, scott . I took mock 1 again (I didn't review any of the questions before.) My score did improve but I'm not sure how inflated this score is, as I have seen questions get repeated, but only those I had got right in my first attempt (and some from GMATClub). I went from (Q39, V31) to (Q47, V38).

Either ways, I think I'm on the right track. Just a little more practice on remainders, combinatorics, series and word problems.

Here are a few articles that may help:
- Improving Your Accuracy on the GMAT
- 11 Strategies for Earning a High GMAT Quant Score Without a Calculator
- Timing Strategies For a Higher GMAT Quant Score
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Radyah wrote:

Here are a few articles that may help:
- Improving Your Accuracy on the GMAT
- 11 Strategies for Earning a High GMAT Quant Score Without a Calculator
- Timing Strategies For a Higher GMAT Quant Score

Thank you, scott. I also need some help with verbal, since I scored a V32 in my second mock, which was way below mock 1 score, because of panicking from RC passages. I got 3/4 long passages, and one short passage showed up in question 26, while I was already behind time. Can you provide some advice that can help?

I also got a little rusty on CR too, but I'm only focusing on easy and medium questions to regain my logical reasoning. Still, with just 7 days left, I am quite terrified how I'm supposed to approach the exam so that at least my target score is met.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4655 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Radyah wrote:
Thank you, scott. I also need some help with verbal, since I scored a V32 in my second mock, which was way below mock 1 score, because of panicking from RC passages. I got 3/4 long passages, and one short passage showed up in question 26, while I was already behind time. Can you provide some advice that can help?

Hi Radyah,

V32 is a good score, but you may have to do a little bit of smart guessing to hit your time targets.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Radyah wrote:

Hi Radyah,

V32 is a good score, but you may have to do a little bit of smart guessing to hit your time targets.

I took another mock today and got a (Q47, V34) which equated to 650 composite. But in my previous mock, I had a (Q48, V32) which equated to 660. Does this mean one point is worth more for quant than for verbal?

My mock scores so far:

Mock 1 (retake after 2.5 months): 690 (Q47, V38)
Mock 2: 660 (Q48, V32)
Mock 3: 650 (Q47, V34)

What do you think I should do in terms of strategy? I have 6 days left, what should my focus be for the exam? I initially targeted a 700, but now I am looking towards a 680? Is that doable?

scott GMATNinja your advice would also be helpful.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Radyah,
Radyah wrote:
I took another mock today and got a (Q47, V34) which equated to 650 composite. But in my previous mock, I had a (Q48, V32) which equated to 660. Does this mean one point is worth more for quant than for verbal?

Not really. The (section) scores we see aren't as accurate as the ones used to calculate the total score, so it's hard to compare these scores.

Radyah wrote:
What do you think I should do in terms of strategy? I have 6 days left, what should my focus be for the exam? I initially targeted a 700, but now I am looking towards a 680? Is that doable?

I generally recommend that we not make too many changes as we get closer to the exam. Also, try not to focus on the outcome or how you think your test may be going (this is especially important in adaptive tests like the GMAT). Try to focus as much as possible on only the question in front of you. Go over your timing strategy again so that you don't lose track of time because of actual exam pressure.

All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun wrote:
Hi Radyah,

I generally recommend that we not make too many changes as we get closer to the exam. Also, try not to focus on the outcome or how you think your test may be going (this is especially important in adaptive tests like the GMAT). Try to focus as much as possible on only the question in front of you. Go over your timing strategy again so that you don't lose track of time because of actual exam pressure.

All the best.

Hi Ajitesh!

Thanks for the last minute advice. I took the GMAT yesterday and scored 640 (Q47, V31). I don't know why my verbal score was so low but there's no point wondering now. I am still glad I retained my quant score.

Now, I am looking for full-funding opportunities (in the form of GA/TA/RA ships and scholarships), for my MBA. I have targeted Canada and US unis, but it's really difficult to narrow down my search. Can you please refer some unis where my chances of getting funding are higher? And also, can you please tell me what criteria should I follow when searching for and selecting unis?

Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Radyah wrote:
Hi Ajitesh!

Thanks for the last minute advice. I took the GMAT yesterday and scored 640 (Q47, V31). I don't know why my verbal score was so low but there's no point wondering now. I am still glad I retained my quant score.

Now, I am looking for full-funding opportunities (in the form of GA/TA/RA ships and scholarships), for my MBA. I have targeted Canada and US unis, but it's really difficult to narrow down my search. Can you please refer some unis where my chances of getting funding are higher? And also, can you please tell me what criteria should I follow when searching for and selecting unis?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Radyah,

Those are some tough questions. I generally try not to get into school selection, as that's really your call. If you're not sure what you're looking for, I recommend that you take some time to think about your goals, or (if you don't have enough time) postpone that decision and apply to a wider range of schools.

It's good to see that you got the score that you wanted. Well done, and all the best.
GMAT Club Bot