GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 23:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Help Getting from Q40 -> Q45

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q40 V44
GPA: 3.58
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Help Getting from Q40 -> Q45  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 18:14
Hello all. I have taken the GMAT twice now. First attempt was Q29/V40 in mid-August 2018. I studied for 6 weeks and on my second attempt was able to bring my scores up to Q40/V44. During those two months, I relied heavily on EmpowerGMAT and found it to be a very useful practice tool. On test day, I found that I was still a little slow on some basics and was having difficulty with DS generally and advanced rate problems.

Though I was happy with my improvement and score at the time, I am looking to retake the test once more and want to boost my quant (realistically) to Q45. I found the video lessons and structured practice helpful with EmpowerGMAT, but I am wondering if MathRevolution or Target Test Prep may be better resources for getting to that next level. Anyone have any thoughts on the pros/cons of these resources or any other suggestions?

Along with whichever path I choose, I also plan to go back through OG problems and review all of my notes.

Thanks,
J
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Help Getting from Q40 -> Q45  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 21:51
jch103020 wrote:
Hello all. I have taken the GMAT twice now. First attempt was Q29/V40 in mid-August 2018. I studied for 6 weeks and on my second attempt was able to bring my scores up to Q40/V44. During those two months, I relied heavily on EmpowerGMAT and found it to be a very useful practice tool. On test day, I found that I was still a little slow on some basics and was having difficulty with DS generally and advanced rate problems.

Though I was happy with my improvement and score at the time, I am looking to retake the test once more and want to boost my quant (realistically) to Q45. I found the video lessons and structured practice helpful with EmpowerGMAT, but I am wondering if MathRevolution or Target Test Prep may be better resources for getting to that next level. Anyone have any thoughts on the pros/cons of these resources or any other suggestions?

Along with whichever path I choose, I also plan to go back through OG problems and review all of my notes.

Thanks,
J
Your V44 (98%) shows that you have excellent logical thinking skills, and given that you are capable of this level of performance, I'd have to say that you still need to work on your concepts in quant. Sure, there could be other reasons for the 39% in quant, but I think this is the most likely. Focus on the basics for now. I'm sure other replies here can help you get a better idea about the products you're considering, but remember there is no way to "magic" your way to the right answer.

A 690 with a Q40 is almost unheard of. Just give yourself the "tools" you need to let whatever gets you a 44 on verbal happen in the quant section as well.
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 09:30
Hi jch102020,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help.

Since you are looking for quant help, TTP would be an awesome resource for you. We are the top-rated quant course here on GMAT Club. If you can complete the course, there is no reason as to why you cannot score a Q45 (or higher) on test day.

If you’d like to discuss TTP further, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 13:44
Hi jch103020

The increases in both your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores show that you clearly have the capacity to learn and improve - and your Verbal Scaled Scores (on both Exams) show that you're clearly a strong critical thinker. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you spent just 6 weeks working through the EMPOWERgmat Course, then it's possible that you could have improved further with additional repetitions and guidance.

Since both of those Tests were taken in 2018, it's been several months since you were in 'study mode' - so it would help to know what additional studying you've done since then. I'm not sure if we've ever discussed your overall timeline and goals either, so it would help to know a bit more about those plans too.

1) What studying, if any, have you done since you took your 2nd GMAT?
2) When are you thinking about retesting?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q40 V44
GPA: 3.58
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 18:44
Thanks for the comments all.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jch103020
1) What studying, if any, have you done since you took your 2nd GMAT?
2) When are you thinking about retesting?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

1) I have not done any studying since taking my second GMAT. I was satisfied with the score I achieved and submitted applications, but have been waitlisted and I believe the hole in my application is the low quant score.
2) I am looking to retest late March/early April, but willing to go into late April if I deem it necessary. This should give me time to provide the updated score to the school.
3) I have submitted applications for fall 2019. I would like to start 2019, but will re-apply for 2020 start if I feel my application will be stronger.
4) I am looking at schools in the top 20, McCombs being my number one choice due to quality of school, practical opportunities, and cost.

AjiteshArun wrote:
Your V44 (98%) shows that you have excellent logical thinking skills, and given that you are capable of this level of performance, I'd have to say that you still need to work on your concepts in quant. Sure, there could be other reasons for the 39% in quant, but I think this is the most likely. Focus on the basics for now. I'm sure other replies here can help you get a better idea about the products you're considering, but remember there is no way to "magic" your way to the right answer.

A 690 with a Q40 is almost unheard of. Just give yourself the "tools" you need to let whatever gets you a 44 on verbal happen in the quant section as well.

Ajitesh - It definitely feels difficult to make this next jump. I appreciate your words of encouragement.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 12:48
Hi jch103020

Do you still have access to any of the prior practice CATs/mocks that you took in late 2018? I ask because we might be able to review those Exams and identify any underlying issues with how you handled the Quant section. For example, there's a big difference between getting questions wrong because you made a little mistake (meaning that you COULD have gotten them correct, but didn't) and getting questions wrong because the questions were just too difficult for you.

Regardless of whether you still have those CATs or not, if you're convinced that you want to retest, then the logical first step at this point would be for you to take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT (meaning a CAT that you have NOT taken before - and with the Essay and IR sections), so that we can get a sense of your current skills and 'ability level.' Once you have those scores, you should post back here and we can discuss the results.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Help Getting from Q40 -> Q45  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 22:28
Hi, jch103020

I’m glad to hear that your Quant score has been improved. Firstly, a jump of quant from 26 to 40 is huge, considering that you spent 2 months studying. This means that you choose a right path to improve Quant. However, you should keep in mind that it is needed to have efficient skill(+solid establishment) to get Q45. If you want to hit the score Q50-51, then, you have to get the most difficult questions correct, which are called ‘Common Mistake Type’ in our course. But, it is more important for you, who want around Q45, to focus on getting the problems correct except those CMT, and not making mistakes. Of course, skipping questions is not good for your score. You have to mark the guessed answer which is better than skipping answers in terms of GMAT scoring algorithm, but you don’t have to put a lot of efforts and time into solving it. Therefore, time management doesn’t matter.

DS part requires logical thinking and some basic concepts. To apply complicated formula and solve math questions, you have to fully understand and master all those basic concepts. However, it is really time-consuming and inefficient. You don't have to internalize all the concepts if you want to get Q45 and see improvements in DS. (over Q49 needs highly crafted skills and solid basics)

Math revolution’s online courses and teaching styles are different and unique. Also, by focusing on time efficiency, we guarantee that students have 10 minutes to spare on the real test. So, you are able to check your answer again and increase the accuracy. (over 80 percent) (solving a question in + having a checking time = 2 minute) By applying our ’variables–equations matching system’ to the DS questions, you can easily solve the questions. To briefly explain, count the number of variables & equations given in the question and determine which answer choice will most likely be the answer. This process is repeated over and over. If there are only two variables in a question, you need at least 2 equations to solve the question. Since two conditions in the question usually give 2 separate equations, it is most likely that C (both conditions together are sufficient) will be the answer. (More information about our approach: https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/vs) So, the most important thing is to be familiarized with those concepts and skills.

To exactly assess your current math skill and receive a customized guide to improve your target score within time the frame you are expecting, we highly recommend you to take our "Free Diagnostic Test" that assesses your skill with 73 questions including all categories and topics. You may try it after registering for the membership.

Please let us know if you have further questions.You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach,
Good luck
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"
GMAT Club Bot
Help Getting from Q40 -> Q45   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2019, 22:28

Help Getting from Q40 -> Q45

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep