It is currently 26 Jun 2017, 14:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2008, 07:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:55) correct 61% (01:01) wrong based on 487 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Edit: The discussion is locked. Go HERE for further discussion.

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.

(A) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
(B) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
(C) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
(D) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
(E) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by nguyendinhtuong on 12 Jun 2017, 22:34, edited 2 times in total.
Reformatted question
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2008, 14:26
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Between B and D. I think it is D.

1860 the Philological Society launched its effort || the Oxford English Dictionary was born - past indefinite.
(before 1860) the world had ever seen - past perfect
(after 1860) the project would take more than 60 years to complete - future in the past

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2008, 00:31
A: would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been [Why need to have past perfect tense – eliminate it]
B: took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was [ Both verbs in simple past, it is difficult to identify which action completed first – eliminate it]
C: would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being [Why to have past progressive form – eliminate it]
D: would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was [Hold it]

E: took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be [Difficult to identify the action – eliminate it]

Answer: D
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2008, 18:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Fistail wrote:
In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.

A. would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
B. took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
C. would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
D. would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
E. took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be

D is my take.

I eliminated B and E because of the use of "took" changes the meaning of the sentence. We have three events here. We are talking about the effort of creating the dictionary, and we need "would" to convey the estimated and uncertain timing of the creation of dictionary.

C is out because of "being"
A is not correct either. The meaning of "had been" suggests that the dictionary was continuously born until the time of its creation.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2008, 18:47
fresinha12 wrote:
i dont get why B would be wrong?

i mean..it saying the project took 60 years to comple..and as a result the Oxford Dictionary was born..? whats wrong with that?

It's all about meaning :wink:
I believe the intended meaning here is estimation of project length at the time when the effort was launched. This means "would" is correct usage for uncertainty.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2008, 03:55
[quote="marshpa"]In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.
A would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
B took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was - the project completed and after which the dictionary was born - makes sense
C would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
D would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
E took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be[ Just weird/quote]
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2008, 14:34
I am with B.

Edit : I am wrong... removing rest of the reasoning to avoid misleading.

Very good explanation on this in Manhattan site.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/in- ... -t421.html

Last edited by vishy007 on 03 Jun 2008, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2010, 07:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
@ phoenixrulzz: You will use would in the following instances.

When the main verb of the sentence is in past tense, and whey you want to express something that will be happening thereafter in the future, you will use the past tense of will i.e. would

E.g. I knew well even before the test that I would not make the grade.

Tom realized much later that going to the pub with Dick and Harry would cost him a fortune

But would also can be used to mark some polite plea such as

Would you mind getting me a glass of water!
Would you please give me a loan on my house!

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

1 KUDOS received
Knewton GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2010, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
@daagh, That's a great explanation! We use "would" to describe the future from a past tense point of view, which is the situation we have in this question. This usage isn't super common, but it's definitely good to know and is fair game for testing on the GMAT.

Another situation in which you'd see the "would" construction is with abstract hypothetical situations:

If the two companies merged, the resulting corporation would be unstoppable.
If I were rich, I would buy a house in the Bahamas.

In these types of conditional statements, the condition (or "if" statement) will be in the past tense and the result will have "would + verb root".
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2010, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
To understand the logic behind this question, let us travel back to 1860 and view the events from thereon. In 1860, the project did not take sixty years; rather it was just launched and would take another sixty years to complete thenceforth. Secondly in 1860, the Dictionary was born and not had been born nor was about to be born.

D conveys both perspectives rightly and is the answer

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2011, 14:40
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
great explanation about the "took"/"would take" split daagh.

Another quick clue--the launch of the PS's effort *was* the birth of the OED, so those two tenses should match up. "Had been" is in the past perfect, and would imply that the birth happened *before* the other specified past event (the launch).

Sometimes if I have a question about whether to use a perfect tense or not, I do a quick sketch of the events in a timeline. Any event in the same "slot" along that timeline should have matching tenses.

[pre-1860 ]---------------[1860]---------------[post-1860]

[other dictionaries: "the world had ever seen"]-----[PS Launched effort/OED born]-----[project completed]

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

9 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2011, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
To understand this question in its right perspective, let us put ourselves in 1860 and look ahead from then on.

In 1860, the project was just launched and certainly it had not taken 60 years nor took 60 years at the point. It would be taking a further 60 years to complete. Hence ‘took’ is wrong and ‘would take’ is right

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2011, 17:28
Quote:
In 1860, the project was just launched and certainly it had not taken 60 years nor took 60 years at the point. It would be taking a further 60 years to complete. Hence ‘took’ is wrong and ‘would take’ is right

I agree with you till this point - It would take 60 years to complete but why do we have "Oxford was born".

Current scenario - In 2011 Jan I embarked on mission MBA; Although it would take 1 year to complete, GMAT score was born.

After 10 years - In 2011 I embarked on mission MBA; Although it would take 1 year to complete, GMAT score was born.

OR

After 10 years - In 2011 I embarked on mission MBA; Although it took 1 year to complete, GMAT score was born.

Tough one guys.

Thanks
Sumeet
http://www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2011, 10:06
Fistail wrote:

A. would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
C. would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
E. took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be

"would" signifies uncertainty, so we keep "would" in answer choices.
Hence (B) and (E) are out.

(A) "Oxford English Dictionary" was born after the effort was launched. So "had been" is incorrect.
(C) "Oxford English Dictionary" was born after the effort was launched. So "was being" is incorrect.

(D) remains and is the answer.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2011, 22:39
This post received
KUDOS
From the sentence here is the chronology of events:

1) 1860, the Philological Society launches effort to create a dictionary : At this time the Society didn't know how long would it take to complete the project.
2) It takes 60 years for the project to complete. Oxford dictionary is born in 1920.

From the intended point of view, we need a conditional to represent the first event(start of project) and simple past to represent the second event(birth of Dictionary).

Hence D is the strongest choice.

Crick
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2011, 04:32
GMATD11 wrote:
1) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
2) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
3) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
4) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
5) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be

I marked 5)

I want to discuss the sentence structure, "the Oxford English Dictionary was born" plays what is the sequence of events here

In this, the highlighted point is birth of Oxford dictionary.
To show the contrast between efforts used and birth of Oxford dictionary, the word "although" is used.
Here, the speaker is speaking in the past. i.e., in 1860. So, "would" is needed.
And the birth of Oxford dictionary was in 1860, we can consider the period of 60 years as the growth. :-D
So the dictionary "was born" in 1860.

So, logically the answer should be D or 4.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2011, 19:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ajay369 wrote:
I'll go for "B" but I understand OA is D.

Can someone highlight that why "would" is needed, as mentioned in D?

Cheers,
Aj.

This is one of those SC problems, which are difficult to explain. Here is another one

san-franciscans-of-the-1890s-mocked-the-claim-that-declared-los-angeles-a-world-city-101974.html

Check out the discussion for better understanding.

Crick
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2011, 01:53
Fistail wrote:

i think B would be the answer if 'had been' were used instead of 'was'. birth of dictionary and 60 years of completion work can not happen simultaneously.

choice D correctly uses 'was' since 'would take' is not simple past tense and hence there is no need to use 'had been' (this is the reason why choice A is not correct)
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2011, 03:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
D is more correct tense. Clause with although will go with "would take", another go with "was". "had been" is wrong tense and change the chronological sentences.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2011, 10:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be

The chase begins ...

Last edited by nguyendinhtuong on 12 Jun 2017, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting
Re: In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2011, 10:02

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 83 posts ]