It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1959, the Nobel Prize was awarded to the Czech chemist and inventor

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1816 [1], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In 1959, the Nobel Prize was awarded to the Czech chemist and inventor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 10:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (00:51) correct 39% (00:45) wrong based on 181 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In 1959, the Nobel Prize was awarded to the Czech chemist and inventor Jaroslav Heyrovsky for discovering and the development of the polarographic method of analysis.

A. the Czech chemist and inventor Jaroslav Heyrovsky for discovering and the development
B. Jaroslav Heyrovsky, the Czech chemist and inventor, for the discovery and developing
C. Jaroslav Heyrovsky, the Czech chemist and inventor, for discovering and developing
D. the Czech chemist and inventor, Jaroslav Heyrovsky, for his discovery and development
E. a Czech chemist and inventor by the name of Jaroslav Heyrovsky for the discovery and development
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1816 [1], given: 302

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

Re: In 1959, the Nobel Prize was awarded to the Czech chemist and inventor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 12:11
reto wrote:
In 1959, the Nobel Prize was awarded to the Czech chemist and inventor Jaroslav Heyrovsky for discovering and the development of the polarographic method of analysis.

A. the Czech chemist and inventor Jaroslav Heyrovsky for discovering and the development
B. Jaroslav Heyrovsky, the Czech chemist and inventor, for the discovery and developing
C. Jaroslav Heyrovsky, the Czech chemist and inventor, for discovering and developing
D. the Czech chemist and inventor, Jaroslav Heyrovsky, for his discovery and development
E. a Czech chemist and inventor by the name of Jaroslav Heyrovsky for the discovery and development

+1 for D. We need to understand the meaning here. The Nobel prize was awarded to JH for his discovery and development of a certain method. Only D satisfies this.

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 102

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Re: In 1959, the Nobel Prize was awarded to the Czech chemist and inventor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 03:18
What is wrong with "C" exactly? Why can't we see it as "The prize was awarded to him for discovering something."

Is "C" wrong just becasue we want to stay clear of the 'ing" form or for some other reason too?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 102

8 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1816 [8], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In 1959, the Nobel Prize was awarded to the Czech chemist and inventor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 03:47
This post received
KUDOS
akirah wrote:
What is wrong with "C" exactly? Why can't we see it as "The prize was awarded to him for discovering something."

Is "C" wrong just becasue we want to stay clear of the 'ing" form or for some other reason too?

Official Ex:
Although this answer choice corrects the original Parallelism mistake by using two unconjugated verbs of the same type (discovering and developing), it does not fit into the original sentence as discovering and developing cannot be followed by the preposition of.

Incorrect: discovering and developing of the polarographic method of analysis
Correct: discovering and developing the polarographic method of analysis
Correct: the discovery and development of the polarographic method of analysis

Remember! Before clicking on an answer choice, always make sure that it fits into the original sentence.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1816 [8], given: 302

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 02:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 09:50
I was able to narrow down the answer choices to D and E. But i have a doubt in E.
Is the option E rejected only because it is too wordy?
Is there any other reason to reject E.
Can anyone please answer that.

The thing about privilege is.. you often don't recognize your own !!!

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Re: In 1959, the Nobel Prize was awarded to the Czech chemist and inventor   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2017, 09:50

In 1959, the Nobel Prize was awarded to the Czech chemist and inventor

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap