Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [18]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [3]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [1]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: In 1973, a remote town first acquired television. Shortly before broad [#permalink]
Error Analysis. Here's what I found.

A) A is wrong because it talks about what influenced Television Content. We're not looking for that. OUT

B)B is wrong because it says nothing about different reactions among the communities studied on the basis of TV viewing. In fact, as you'll realize later, you'll know that we cannot compare the two studies because the demographics in terms of TV viewing is different between the groups in the first study and the second, for all their "similarity". The second group has had TV for decades. The first group has only had the TV for a couple of years. You can't rule out the possibility that the second study groups could have also had a similar increase in aggressiveness in the initial stages of their TV viewing experience. OUT

C) C is wrong because it compares long term effects and short term effects. Effects? Yes, aggression is an effect. But the plural effects suggests that there were more than just one effect, and we certainly do not know about the other effects. This is a sort of Trap answer choice you'd be tempted to select out of urgency on Test Day. OUT

D)D, At first glance seems wrong. On Test Day, You're probably Eliminating the wrong choices and more often than not an answer choice like this is the first you'd look at and say "This one's a goner!". But hold on, Bunuel has explained why this is indeed the right choice on this thread. I'd like to add more to Bunuel 's reasoning. The mere fact that we're comparing two(actually three) similar, yet different set of communities (different in terms of TV viewing experience) (10 or 20 years of TV >> 2 years of TV) on the basis of research results requires one to read between the lines. It's a possibility that these communities, out of their similarity in all the things you could think of (eg- lifestyle, habits, etc.) with the community in the first study, might have had a similar increase in aggression when TV was first introduced to them. KEEP

E) The problem with E is that it seems so good and goes so well with the pattern of the passage. A great little trap. The conclusion from the first study gives us an observation about TV in its initial years after being introduced to a community. The second study is 10 or maybe 20 years too late. The aggression probably has already been developed for the researchers to notice. E is a tough trap to avoid because to understand it, you'll have to understand what isn't obvious from the passage. OUT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: In 1973, a remote town first acquired television. Shortly before broad [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In 1973, a remote town first acquired television. Shortly before broadcasts began there, a study was made of children's behavior. A similar study in the same community, after two years of TV, showed that the aggression rate among children of this age had increased by 160%. The conclusion drawn was that TV plays an important role in generating aggressive behavior in children. A second study, covering the same years, was made in two similar communities that had had television for decades. This study showed no change in the aggression rate from 1973 to 1975. The results of the second study:

(A) suggest that the prevalence of violent themes in TV programming may be explained by the tendencies toward violence, which are deep-rooted in human nature.
(B) indicate that different social groups may react quite differently to similar stimuli.
(C) demonstrate that long-term exposure to TV has no more severe effects than short-term exposure.
(D) confirm the conclusion drawn from the first study.
(E) disprove the conclusion drawn from the first study.

Official Explanation

Correct answer D.

This is a complicated question and requires a complicated explanation. It is important to keep in mind just what the reported results are. Perhaps most important, nothing is said about the absolute values of the aggression rates, but only about changes in the rates. And nothing is said about how the rates in the other two communities compared with those of the first. The first study correlated two changes-the change from no TV to TV in 1973, as well as the change in aggression rates from 1973 to 1975. The tentative conclusion is that the first of these changes was the cause of the second change. The second study focused on communities in which there was no change --they were already well accustomed to TV in 1973. (Thus the second study focuses on a sort of natural "control group.") That study found that there was no change of the second type - aggression rates in those communities remained constant from 1973 to 1975. The second study thus tends to reduce the plausibility of the suggestion that some change other than the introduction of TV caused the rise in aggressiveness in the first community. If there was some other cause, at least it doesn't seem to have been acting in the communities of the second study. And that reduces the range of possible candidates. Thus the second study tends to make more probable the conclusion drawn from the first study.

Hi Bunuel ,
The question I am about to ask is probably the stupidest question that you would have been asked so far on this forum.

I did understand the official explanation. But what learning should I take forward from this question that could help me in future to avoid marking an incorrect answer choice? Could I encounter a question in future that will have the same line of reasoning?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
By critical thinking and by POE, each wrong answer can be eliminated.

A, we do not know anything of the type of programmes viewers choosed nor we have any information about the human nature. WRONG ANSWER

B, the second study shows that people did not have any change in the rate of aggression after 10 or 20 years of viewing TV, but the possibility that this group also experienced an increase in the aggression rates in their first two years cannot be eliminated. Hence, we cannot say that differents social groups reach quite differently to similar stimuli. Further we are talking only about aggression, a stimulus; nothing can be told about other stimuli. WRONG ANSWER

C, long-term exposure may have had effects other than aggression (eg. vision impairment) which may not be a short-term effect. We do not have any information about the effects other than aggression. WRONG ANSWER

D, though the second study doesn't confirm that TV viewers in their initial two years had increased rate of aggression, there is no evidence opposing the view that there is no increase in the rate of aggression in the initial two years. Hence, this choice cannot be eliminated. WAIT FOR OPTION E.

E, as explained in option D, there is no evidence to disprove the conclusion in the first study. WRONG ANSWER.

Therefore, by POE option D is the CORRECT ANSWER.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In 1973, a remote town first acquired television. Shortly [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In 1973, a remote town first acquired television. Shortly [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts