Last visit was: 19 Jul 2024, 23:37 It is currently 19 Jul 2024, 23:37
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64537 [3]
Given Kudos: 1823
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66741 [3]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical condition in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
KarishmaB Ma'am,

Please help me understand some basics in this question.

The incidence rate of S is same for all age groups. This means that S can occur to any person from ages 5 to 55.
The incidence rate of A and BP increases with age. This means that as the person's age increases then the incidence of A and BP increases. In other words, a person aged 5 to 20 might not develop A and Bp, but a person aged 55 will definitely do.

It is about probabilities. A person aged 5 to 20 will have a low probability of developing A or Bp but aged 55 will have a higher probability of developing them.

If incidence of S is the same for all age groups, it means in the set of people who have S, there will be people of all age groups. For every age, the probability is the same.

So the set of people who have S will be a sample of the population without any age bias. If there is a 20% incidence rate of S (same for all age groups) and there is a population of 100 people (20 children, 30 youth, 30 adults, 20 old), the set of people with S will likely be 20 people (4 children, 6 youth, 6 adults, 4 old). So the average age of this set of people will be similar to the average age of the population.

In contrast, note that average age of set of people having A or Bp will be higher since incidence of these diseases is higher among the older people.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical condition in the [#permalink]
KarishmaB Ma'am,

Quote:
So the set of people who have S will be a sample of the population without any age bias. If there is a 20% incidence rate of S (same for all age groups) and there is a population of 100 people (20 children, 30 youth, 30 adults, 20 old), the set of people with S will likely be 20 people (4 children, 6 youth, 6 adults, 4 old). So the average age of this set of people will be similar to the average age of the population.

In this we are assuming that the age is same for all age groups. I mean the we are taking the age of children, youth, adults, and old to be the same.

Am I right?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66741 [1]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical condition in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
KarishmaB Ma'am,

Quote:

In this we are assuming that the age is same for all age groups. I mean the we are taking the age of children, youth, adults, and old to be the same.

Am I right?

You can make the data as granular as you wish to. Only for ease have I divided them into 4 groups of children, youth, adult and old. I could divide them into 100 grps of 1 yr old, 2 yr old, 3 yr old etc and still the logic remains the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Is inference question and derive conclusion questions the same?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
ajit257 wrote:
In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical condition in the United States, followed by arthritis and high blood pressure, in that order.
The incidence rates for both arthritis and high blood pressure increase with age, but the incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages.
The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn about chronic medical conditions in the United States from the information given above?
(A) Sinusitis will be more common than either arthritis or high blood pressure in 2000.
(B) Arthritis will be the most common chronic medical condition in 2000.
(C) The average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase between 1987 and 2000.
(D) Fewer people will suffer from sinusitis in 2000 than suffered from it in 1987.
(E) A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.

I am having some difficulty in drawing conclusion questions. Please can some provide some helpful pointers to tackle such questions.. thanks.

One important point you need to understand to understand this question is the increase in average age of a population.
Lets say average age of US population is 40 yrs. (Add ages of all people and divide by the number of people). The average age need not increase with time (it can even reduce e.g. when life expectancy decreases; people live shorter lives; lots of new babies are born) If average age increases to 50 yrs, it means people are living longer lives or not many new babies are being born or both (a problem being faced by much of the developed world today)
So when we say average life increased, it is probably because there are more aged people.

Premises:
- In 1987 sinusitis most common chronic condition followed by arthritis and high blood pressure
- More arthritis and high blood pressure with age
- Incidence of sinusitis is the same for people of all ages
- Average age will increase between 1987 and 2000.

Let's refresh what we said about conclusion questions - should be implied from the argument and should give no new data.

(A) Sinusitis will be more common than either arthritis or high blood pressure in 2000.
With increase in average age, we cannot say this. It is possible that other two become more common.

(B) Arthritis will be the most common chronic medical condition in 2000.
Definitely no reason to pick Arthritis out of the two - BP and Arthritis so no need to even think about it.

(C) The average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase between 1987 and 2000.
Since incidence of sinusitis is the same for all ages, we can conclude that the average age of a person suffering from Sinusitis is the same as the average age of the population. Since average age of population will increase, average age of people suffering from Sinusitis will also increase.

(D) Fewer people will suffer from sinusitis in 2000 than suffered from it in 1987.
Sinusitis does not depend on age so cannot be concluded.

(E) A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.
No reason to conclude this.

Here- what if the the incidence of sinusitis is more common amongst the younger cohort? Would even then an increase in the average age also increase the incidence of sinusitis ? I fail to understand why is E wrong.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 869 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6984 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts