GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Mar 2019, 13:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a college alumni meet, 30% of the students were those who were stud

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Feb 2019
Posts: 121
Location: India
GMAT 1: 490 Q47 V13
GPA: 3.6
In a college alumni meet, 30% of the students were those who were stud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 00:15
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

88% (01:45) correct 13% (00:39) wrong based on 16 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a college alumni meet, 30% of the students were those who were studying in college and the rest were alumni of the college. What percent of the students, including alumni and non alumni, were males who participated in the meet?

I. 10% of the alumni students who came were females
II. 20% of college studying students who participated were males.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 111
Location: United Arab Emirates
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: CBS '21, Yale '21, INSEAD
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Re: In a college alumni meet, 30% of the students were those who were stud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 03:16
kiran120680 wrote:
In a college alumni meet, 30% of the students were those who were studying in college and the rest were alumni of the college. What percent of the students, including alumni and non alumni, were males who participated in the meet?

I. 10% of the alumni students who came were females
II. 20% of college studying students who participated were males.


Let us take the total of the number of people who attended to be 100

hence 30 students were studying in college
and 70 were alumni.

Now as per the question we need to know the total number of students who were males, for this we need to know the number of males out of the students who are studying and the number of males from the alumni who visited.

Statement 1 - Tells us that 10% are females hence remaining 90% of the alumni visiting are males. Hence 63 out of 70 are males. On its own, the statement is insufficient as it does not tell us the number of males students studying in the college.

Statement 2 - Tells us that 20% of students are males i.e. 6 out of 30 are males. On its own, this statement is insufficient as it does not tell us the number of male alumni visiting.

But together these statements are feasible as out of 100 we have 63+6 = 69 males hence 69% of the participants were males.

Hence C is the correct answer.
_________________

Hit Kudos if you like what you see!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a college alumni meet, 30% of the students were those who were stud   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2019, 03:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a college alumni meet, 30% of the students were those who were stud

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.