It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town..

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 233 [2], given: 8

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2013, 04:55
2
This post received
KUDOS
9
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:38) correct 67% (02:00) wrong based on 888 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town bordering it, a plant was discovered that is believed to have been accidentally introduced by colonialists who tried to grow foreign vegetables in the area. The plant carries a potent neurotoxin, and upon digestion is capable of killing small to medium-sized animals. To cease the dwindling population of a small deer species that populates the forest, authorities are planning to erect explanatory signs at all the main entrances to the forest pleading to visitors to uproot and dispose of any such plants if identified.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most solid reason to expect that the authorities' plan will succeed?

    A) A glass recycling project that was initiated by the authorities of the town had very successful results primarily because of the enthusiastic cooperation of the townspeople, who were offered small monetary incentives.

    B) The elimination of the plants is imperative since the sap carrying the active neurotoxin that can be absorbed by the skin, oozes from picked leaves and results in cardiac symptoms, often fatal to humans.

    C) The emblem of the town, a yellow and cobalt blue coat of arms, has in its center a stylized image of the deer species that inhabits the forest, and appears on municipal buildings, statues, and documents.

    D) Continuing an age-old tradition started by the founders of the town, many townspeople engage in the breeding of dogs and can often be seen strolling the vicinity with two or three of their prized animals.

    E) Mysterious to foreigners, the forest is a territory well-known to the townspeople, who as youths often wander through it, becoming familiar with the countless hidden paths leading into it.

Source: gmat.babson.edu
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 233 [2], given: 8

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 832

Kudos [?]: 1563 [2], given: 197

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2013, 05:12
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town bordering it, a plant was discovered that is believed to have been accidentally introduced by colonialists who tried to grow foreign vegetables in the area. The plant carries a potent neurotoxin, and upon digestion is capable of killing small to medium-sized animals. To cease the dwindling population of a small deer species that populates the forest, authorities are planning to erect explanatory signs at all the main entrances to the forest pleading to visitors to uproot and dispose of any such plants if identified.


argument says that plant upon digestion kills small to medium sixzed people.
now for the success of the authorities plan==> visitors are supposed to participate.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most solid reason to expect that the authorities' plan will succeed?

    A) A glass recycling project that was initiated by the authorities of the town had very successful results primarily because of the enthusiastic cooperation of the townspeople, who were offered small monetary incentives.
    this option tells that some previous other plan was successfull in pass not related this scenario...hence it is OUT OF CONTEXT.

    B) The elimination of the plants is imperative since the sap carrying the active neurotoxin that can be absorbed by the skin, oozes from picked leaves and results in cardiac symptoms, often fatal to humans.
    If this thing is fatal to humans..then people will not co-operate or participate in this plan....hence it weakens.

    C) The emblem of the town, a yellow and cobalt blue coat of arms, has in its center a stylized image of the deer species that inhabits the forest, and appears on municipal buildings, statues, and documents.
    just stating a fact and describing the emblem...hence doesnt affects the conclusion

    D) Continuing an age-old tradition started by the founders of the town, many townspeople engage in the breeding of dogs and can often be seen strolling the vicinity with two or three of their prized animals.
    this is correct
    if people come there for breeding of dogs....it means...those plants are also harmful to those dogs(smal and medium sized)...since those plant are harmful ..and people are aware that which all plants are causing this harm..then they will defenetely participate in uprooting and disposing of any such plants if identified in order to save their pets
    .


    E) Mysterious to foreigners, the forest is a territory well-known to the townspeople, who as youths often wander through it, becoming familiar with the countless hidden paths leading into it.
out of context.
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Kudos [?]: 1563 [2], given: 197

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2012
Posts: 39

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 15

Concentration: Organizational Behavior, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V26
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2013, 06:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
Question Stem: Strengthen the conclusion.

POE:

A) A glass recycling project that was initiated by the authorities of the town had very successful results primarily because of the enthusiastic cooperation of the townspeople, who were offered small monetary incentives. ***OUT OF SCOPE*** analogy is not possible because the townspeoplle are not being given any incentive for the help.

B) The elimination of the plants is imperative since the sap carrying the active neurotoxin that can be absorbed by the skin, oozes from picked leaves and results in cardiac symptoms, often fatal to humans.****WEAKEN***** it acutally weakens the conclusion because if this situation were true then people will not be doing the job , which are being asked for in question.

C) The emblem of the town, a yellow and cobalt blue coat of arms, has in its center a stylized image of the deer species that inhabits the forest, and appears on municipal buildings, statues, and documents. ****OUT OF SCOPE*** its not a strong case to motivate people to do the job.

D) Continuing an age-old tradition started by the founders of the town, many townspeople engage in the breeding of dogs and can often be seen strolling the vicinity with two or three of their prized animals.#### CORRECT #### now there own pets are being saved if they do this job. SO this is a very STRONG motivation and hence strengthen the conclusion:)

E) Mysterious to foreigners, the forest is a territory well-known to the townspeople, who as youths often wander through it, becoming familiar with the countless hidden paths leading into it. ***** TOTALLY OUT OF SCOPE******WASTE OPTION
_________________

PLAN >>> EXECUTE >>> MEASURE

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 15

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2231

Kudos [?]: 8799 [5], given: 328

Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2013, 10:27
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
shailendrasharma wrote:
In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town bordering it, a plant was discovered that is believed to have been accidentally introduced by colonialists who tried to grow foreign vegetables in the area. The plant carries a potent neurotoxin, and upon digestion is capable of killing small to medium-sized animals. To cease the dwindling population of a small deer species that populates the forest, authorities are planning to erect explanatory signs at all the main entrances to the forest pleading to visitors to uproot and dispose of any such plants if identified.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most solid reason to expect that the authorities' plan will succeed?

    A) A glass recycling project that was initiated by the authorities of the town had very successful results primarily because of the enthusiastic cooperation of the townspeople, who were offered small monetary incentives.

    B) The elimination of the plants is imperative since the sap carrying the active neurotoxin that can be absorbed by the skin, oozes from picked leaves and results in cardiac symptoms, often fatal to humans.

    C) The emblem of the town, a yellow and cobalt blue coat of arms, has in its center a stylized image of the deer species that inhabits the forest, and appears on municipal buildings, statues, and documents.

    D) Continuing an age-old tradition started by the founders of the town, many townspeople engage in the breeding of dogs and can often be seen strolling the vicinity with two or three of their prized animals.

    E) Mysterious to foreigners, the forest is a territory well-known to the townspeople, who as youths often wander through it, becoming familiar with the countless hidden paths leading into it.

Source: gmat.babson.edu


Responding to a PM.

I would just look at options D and E.

In my opinion, I don't see any of these choices as the correct option, per GMAT standards.

Even though blueseas has very aptly listed out the reason in favor of Option D, a reason which I believe must be shared by the question makers too, in my opinion, option D misses the essence of the plan.

The plan nowhere lists that people would be made aware that such plants cause deaths of small to mid-size animals. The plan is to plead them to uproot those plants. Now, there are two situations possible:

1. People already know that these plants are poisonous for their dogs - In this case, they don't need any pleading. They'll do it anyway. So, the plan is not going to have any impact.
2. People don't know about it - In this case, there is no difference between dog-owners and others. So, given option would not strengthen the belief in the success of the plan.

So, in both case, option D is not going to help.

Now, there is only one face saver for the question makers - they have used word "explanatory signs" - this can be used by them to say that they meant telling that plants are harmful for small and mid sized animals. But I don't buy this logic. If the intention is to explain, then it should be "explain the visitors", rather than "plead to visitors".

All in all, option D is not a strengthener, per GMAT standards.

Now coming to option E - This also looks like a strengthener since if townspeople know about ins and outs of the forest, telling them to remove such plants would likely mean the removal of most of these plants. The problem with option E is that it says that these paths are mysterious to foreigners and we know the plan is to plead to the visitors, so this option also doesnt look correct.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 8799 [5], given: 328

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 148

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 41

Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2013, 08:53
egmat wrote:
shailendrasharma wrote:
In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town bordering it, a plant was discovered that is believed to have been accidentally introduced by colonialists who tried to grow foreign vegetables in the area. The plant carries a potent neurotoxin, and upon digestion is capable of killing small to medium-sized animals. To cease the dwindling population of a small deer species that populates the forest, authorities are planning to erect explanatory signs at all the main entrances to the forest pleading to visitors to uproot and dispose of any such plants if identified.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most solid reason to expect that the authorities' plan will succeed?

    A) A glass recycling project that was initiated by the authorities of the town had very successful results primarily because of the enthusiastic cooperation of the townspeople, who were offered small monetary incentives.

    B) The elimination of the plants is imperative since the sap carrying the active neurotoxin that can be absorbed by the skin, oozes from picked leaves and results in cardiac symptoms, often fatal to humans.

    C) The emblem of the town, a yellow and cobalt blue coat of arms, has in its center a stylized image of the deer species that inhabits the forest, and appears on municipal buildings, statues, and documents.

    D) Continuing an age-old tradition started by the founders of the town, many townspeople engage in the breeding of dogs and can often be seen strolling the vicinity with two or three of their prized animals.

    E) Mysterious to foreigners, the forest is a territory well-known to the townspeople, who as youths often wander through it, becoming familiar with the countless hidden paths leading into it.

Source: gmat.babson.edu


Responding to a PM.

I would just look at options D and E.

In my opinion, I don't see any of these choices as the correct option, per GMAT standards.

Even though blueseas has very aptly listed out the reason in favor of Option D, a reason which I believe must be shared by the question makers too, in my opinion, option D misses the essence of the plan.

The plan nowhere lists that people would be made aware that such plants cause deaths of small to mid-size animals. The plan is to plead them to uproot those plants. Now, there are two situations possible:

1. People already know that these plants are poisonous for their dogs - In this case, they don't need any pleading. They'll do it anyway. So, the plan is not going to have any impact.
2. People don't know about it - In this case, there is no difference between dog-owners and others. So, given option would not strengthen the belief in the success of the plan.

So, in both case, option D is not going to help.

Now, there is only one face saver for the question makers - they have used word "explanatory signs" - this can be used by them to say that they meant telling that plants are harmful for small and mid sized animals. But I don't buy this logic. If the intention is to explain, then it should be "explain the visitors", rather than "plead to visitors".

All in all, option D is not a strengthener, per GMAT standards.

Now coming to option E - This also looks like a strengthener since if townspeople know about ins and outs of the forest, telling them to remove such plants would likely mean the removal of most of these plants. The problem with option E is that it says that these paths are mysterious to foreigners and we know the plan is to plead to the visitors, so this option also doesnt look correct.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev


HI Chiranjeev,

I have a doubt... In any of the options, it is nowhere mentioned that visitors will uproot and dispose of any such plants.

Our conclusion is that....

authorities are planning to erect explanatory signs ======> through visitors.
The conclusion does not state that townspeople will help to eradicate the plants....

So any statement to support the conclusion, will make sure that visitors play a +ve part to support the conclusion.

So how are we considering option D correct..???
_________________

MODULUS Concept ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 41

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10172

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 18:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Posts: 215

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 75

GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 01:00
In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town bordering it, a plant was discovered that is believed to have been accidentally introduced by colonialists who tried to grow foreign vegetables in the area. The plant carries a potent neurotoxin, and upon digestion is capable of killing small to medium-sized animals. To cease the dwindling population of a small deer species that populates the forest, authorities are planning to erect explanatory signs at all the main entrances to the forest pleading to visitors to uproot and dispose of any such plants if identified.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most solid reason to expect that the authorities' plan will succeed?

A) A glass recycling project that was initiated by the authorities of the town had very successful results primarily because of the enthusiastic cooperation of the townspeople, who were offered small monetary incentives.

B) The elimination of the plants is imperative since the sap carrying the active neurotoxin that can be absorbed by the skin, oozes from picked leaves and results in cardiac symptoms, often fatal to humans.

C) The emblem of the town, a yellow and cobalt blue coat of arms, has in its center a stylized image of the deer species that inhabits the forest, and appears on municipal buildings, statues, and documents.

D) Continuing an age-old tradition started by the founders of the town, many townspeople engage in the breeding of dogs and can often be seen strolling the vicinity with two or three of their prized animals.

E) Mysterious to foreigners, the forest is a territory well-known to the townspeople, who as youths often wander through it, becoming familiar with the countless hidden paths leading into it.



Hi all,

Already Chiranjeev from eGmat have explained nicely why choice D is incorrect.

I would like to add my 2 cents in favour of choice E

Conclusion: Authority's plan to erect explanatory signs at all the main entrances to the forest pleading to visitors to uproot and dispose of any such plants will be successful in saving small deer species.

We need to strengthen this. One way to achieve this is to find the potential weakeners first and then WEAKEN or eliminate the weakeners. There cud be many potential weakeners such as:
1. Visitors will not heed to the pleading.
2. Visitors may not have the adeptness required to trace and uproot those plants.

E) Mysterious to foreigners, the forest is a territory well-known to the townspeople, who as youths often wander through it, becoming familiar with the countless hidden paths leading into it.

Now, the plants were introduced by colonialists or foreigners. So, in a way, choice E reaffirms that the visitors or the townspeople will be able to trace and remove the plants and thus eliminates our potential weakener 2. So, E strengthens the conclusion.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 51

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 25

Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 20:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town bordering it, a plant was discovered that is believed to have been accidentally introduced by colonialists who tried to grow foreign vegetables in the area. The plant carries a potent neurotoxin, and upon digestion is capable of killing small to medium-sized animals. To cease the dwindling population of a small deer species that populates the forest, authorities are planning to erect explanatory signs at all the main entrances to the forest pleading to visitors to uproot and dispose of any such plants if identified.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most solid reason to expect that the authorities' plan will succeed?

A) A glass recycling project that was initiated by the authorities of the town had very successful results primarily because of the enthusiastic cooperation of the townspeople, who were offered small monetary incentives. - A candidate but not the most solid one. Can't say for sure if one succeeds, the other will.

B) The elimination of the plants is imperative since the sap carrying the active neurotoxin that can be absorbed by the skin, oozes from picked leaves and results in cardiac symptoms, often fatal to humans. - This actually attacks the plan.

C) The emblem of the town, a yellow and cobalt blue coat of arms, has in its center a stylized image of the deer species that inhabits the forest, and appears on municipal buildings, statues, and documents. - Trying to form an emotional connection but not really the strongest incentive for the plan to succeed.

D) Continuing an age-old tradition started by the founders of the town, many townspeople engage in the breeding of dogs and can often be seen strolling the vicinity with two or three of their prized animals. - The neurotoxin is capabale of killing small to medium sized animals. Not many people would want to risk the lives of their prized animals while taking a stroll. Pitting this against A, I will go with D because this directly affects people's participation in the proposed initiative.

E) Mysterious to foreigners, the forest is a territory well-known to the townspeople, who as youths often wander through it, becoming familiar with the countless hidden paths leading into it. - Not relevant.

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 25

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 51

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 25

Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 20:57
binit wrote:
In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town bordering it, a plant was discovered that is believed to have been accidentally introduced by colonialists who tried to grow foreign vegetables in the area. The plant carries a potent neurotoxin, and upon digestion is capable of killing small to medium-sized animals. To cease the dwindling population of a small deer species that populates the forest, authorities are planning to erect explanatory signs at all the main entrances to the forest pleading to visitors to uproot and dispose of any such plants if identified.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most solid reason to expect that the authorities' plan will succeed?

A) A glass recycling project that was initiated by the authorities of the town had very successful results primarily because of the enthusiastic cooperation of the townspeople, who were offered small monetary incentives.

B) The elimination of the plants is imperative since the sap carrying the active neurotoxin that can be absorbed by the skin, oozes from picked leaves and results in cardiac symptoms, often fatal to humans.

C) The emblem of the town, a yellow and cobalt blue coat of arms, has in its center a stylized image of the deer species that inhabits the forest, and appears on municipal buildings, statues, and documents.

D) Continuing an age-old tradition started by the founders of the town, many townspeople engage in the breeding of dogs and can often be seen strolling the vicinity with two or three of their prized animals.

E) Mysterious to foreigners, the forest is a territory well-known to the townspeople, who as youths often wander through it, becoming familiar with the countless hidden paths leading into it.



Hi all,

Already Chiranjeev from eGmat have explained nicely why choice D is incorrect.

I would like to add my 2 cents in favour of choice E

Conclusion: Authority's plan to erect explanatory signs at all the main entrances to the forest pleading to visitors to uproot and dispose of any such plants will be successful in saving small deer species.

We need to strengthen this. One way to achieve this is to find the potential weakeners first and then WEAKEN or eliminate the weakeners. There cud be many potential weakeners such as:
1. Visitors will not heed to the pleading.
2. Visitors may not have the adeptness required to trace and uproot those plants.

E) Mysterious to foreigners, the forest is a territory well-known to the townspeople, who as youths often wander through it, becoming familiar with the countless hidden paths leading into it.

Now, the plants were introduced by colonialists or foreigners. So, in a way, choice E reaffirms that the visitors or the townspeople will be able to trace and remove the plants and thus eliminates our potential weakener 2. So, E strengthens the conclusion.

Thanks.


The forest is a territory well-known to townspeople. What if townspeople start avoiding areas where this plant is growing? This would actually defeat the purpose. Not really the "most solid" reason.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 25

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Sep 2016
Posts: 28

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 32

Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 09:06
Vicinity and visiting the forest same thing!?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2017
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

10keythings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 05:31
Really interesting topic. Perfect discussion for knowledge. I not at all felt bored with it. I love mathematics & eating in restaurants.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 473

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 49

Location: India
Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 06:14
D because many people wander in that area frequently so the initiative can succeed assuming people tend to follow the sign and interested in animals.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 49

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Jun 2016
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 742

Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 06:45
This is most likely a flawed question. For (D) to be the correct answer, you have to assume that dogs try to eat random plants that come their way (the plant is toxic only upon digestion). On what basis should we assume that dogs exhibit this behavior? There is no basis.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 742

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Posts: 45

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.82
WE: Management Consulting (Manufacturing)
Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 07:21
akhu wrote:
Question Stem: Strengthen the conclusion.

POE:

A) A glass recycling project that was initiated by the authorities of the town had very successful results primarily because of the enthusiastic cooperation of the townspeople, who were offered small monetary incentives. ***OUT OF SCOPE*** analogy is not possible because the townspeoplle are not being given any incentive for the help.

B) The elimination of the plants is imperative since the sap carrying the active neurotoxin that can be absorbed by the skin, oozes from picked leaves and results in cardiac symptoms, often fatal to humans.****WEAKEN***** it acutally weakens the conclusion because if this situation were true then people will not be doing the job , which are being asked for in question.

C) The emblem of the town, a yellow and cobalt blue coat of arms, has in its center a stylized image of the deer species that inhabits the forest, and appears on municipal buildings, statues, and documents. ****OUT OF SCOPE*** its not a strong case to motivate people to do the job.

D) Continuing an age-old tradition started by the founders of the town, many townspeople engage in the breeding of dogs and can often be seen strolling the vicinity with two or three of their prized animals.#### CORRECT #### now there own pets are being saved if they do this job. SO this is a very STRONG motivation and hence strengthen the conclusion:)

E) Mysterious to foreigners, the forest is a territory well-known to the townspeople, who as youths often wander through it, becoming familiar with the countless hidden paths leading into it. ***** TOTALLY OUT OF SCOPE******WASTE OPTION


Option E actually weakens the statement, because officials plan is to "put signs at all the main entrances". At the same time, locals know hidden paths and, probably, don't use main entrances

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 33

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2016
Posts: 167

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 23:28
The style of this CR question doesn't quite line up with what you'll see on the Official GMAT, but there's enough information that I think I know what the author of this prompt was logically going for.

Notice in the prompt that we're looking for a way to define why the plan will succeed - this is essentially a Strengthen question - so we need an answer that supports the author's logic.

The Facts:
-A forest is OFTEN VISITED BY RESIDENTS of a small town bordering it.
-A plant in this forest carries a neurotoxin that CAN KILL small-to-medium sized animals.

The Plan:
-To help protect the dwindling population of small deer, authorities will erect signs to the MAIN ENTRANCES of the forest pleading with VISITORS to uproot and dispose of any of these plants that the visitors comes across.

The Logic:
-For this plan to work, visitors have to go into the forest, read the signs and look for/uproot the plants. Since the forest is frequently visited by the residents of the town and there are main entrances, it seems likely that the first two steps of the plan would be a given. The third step is the crucial part though - we're likely looking for an answer that gives us a reason WHY the visitors would go to the trouble of uprooting the plants.

Answer D gives us a reason - beyond protecting the deer, the townspeople will also be protecting their prized pets.
_________________

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Jun 2016
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 742

Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 03:31
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
The style of this CR question doesn't quite line up with what you'll see on the Official GMAT, but there's enough information that I think I know what the author of this prompt was logically going for.

Notice in the prompt that we're looking for a way to define why the plan will succeed - this is essentially a Strengthen question - so we need an answer that supports the author's logic.

The Facts:
-A forest is OFTEN VISITED BY RESIDENTS of a small town bordering it.
-A plant in this forest carries a neurotoxin that CAN KILL small-to-medium sized animals.

The Plan:
-To help protect the dwindling population of small deer, authorities will erect signs to the MAIN ENTRANCES of the forest pleading with VISITORS to uproot and dispose of any of these plants that the visitors comes across.

The Logic:
-For this plan to work, visitors have to go into the forest, read the signs and look for/uproot the plants. Since the forest is frequently visited by the residents of the town and there are main entrances, it seems likely that the first two steps of the plan would be a given. The third step is the crucial part though - we're likely looking for an answer that gives us a reason WHY the visitors would go to the trouble of uprooting the plants.

Answer D gives us a reason - beyond protecting the deer, the townspeople will also be protecting their prized pets.



The prompt clearly says that "The plant carries a potent neurotoxin, and upon digestion is capable of killing small to medium-sized animals.". For (D) to be correct we have to assume that dogs eat these plants. On what basis can we assume this? On these grounds (D) cannot be the right answer.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 742

Re: In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town..   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2017, 03:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Residents of Milatia are known for their longevity mba1382 6 28 May 2017, 08:05
6 CR: If the forest continues to disappear Vavali 13 24 Aug 2016, 22:16
4 Mr. Frank Loren owns a house in the small town of Rayleigh Harbor HKD1710 6 28 May 2017, 11:34
3 Dead, rotting logs on the forest floor provide the habitat for a small Nevernevergiveup 2 22 Nov 2015, 11:55
25 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC Because city council members in small towns are intimately Amit05 30 26 Jul 2017, 10:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a forest often visited by the residents of a small town..

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.