GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a plane, points P and Q are 20 inches apart. If point R is randomly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
In a plane, points P and Q are 20 inches apart. If point R is randomly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 00:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:46) correct 67% (01:51) wrong based on 55 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a plane, points P and Q are 20 inches apart. If point R is randomly chosen from all the points in the plane that are 20 inches from P, what is the probability that R is closer to P than it is to Q?

A. \(0\)

B. \(\frac{1}{4}\)

C. \(\frac{1}{3}\)

D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)

E. \(\frac{2}{3}\)

Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions

V
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a plane, points P and Q are 20 inches apart. If point R is randomly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 03:46
Locus of R is a circle, whose center is P and whose radius is 20 inches.

Distance of R from P is 20 inches

R is closer to P if R lies anywhere on the highlighted(Red) portion of the circle

Probability= 240/360=2/3

Bunuel wrote:
In a plane, points P and Q are 20 inches apart. If point R is randomly chosen from all the points in the plane that are 20 inches from P, what is the probability that R is closer to P than it is to Q?

A. \(0\)

B. \(\frac{1}{4}\)

C. \(\frac{1}{3}\)

D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)

E. \(\frac{2}{3}\)

Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions

Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 8.83 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B
Re: In a plane, points P and Q are 20 inches apart. If point R is randomly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 05:01
IMO OA is 0
All the points of R form a circle with P as the center of the circle. Point Q and any point R always lie on the circle. so the Point P is always at equal distance from R & Q and there is no chance where R can be closer to P than Q. So the combinations are 0 hence the probability is 0
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Operations
Schools: INSEAD, ISB

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 11:25
saik1993 wrote:
IMO OA is 0
All the points of R form a circle with P as the center of the circle. Point Q and any point R always lie on the circle. so the Point P is always at equal distance from R & Q and there is no chance where R can be closer to P than Q. So the combinations are 0 hence the probability is 0

saik1993, Your all explanation is wrong.

Please see the above post, explained very good by nick1816

Hope you will read his answer, if you didn't get it. we will explain you.

Answer is E i.e. 2/3
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 03:11
rajatchopra1994
I read the solution from nick1816

I have a few questions,

1. If point R is on the circle, with P as the center, Isn't the distance between them is now the radius of the circle =20
and Q is also 20 inches away from P?

2. From the diagram, Let us consider the other two points be A & B. I can see that PA= 20 & PB= 20 as they are radius,
but how do we get the other side (QA & QB length as 20? why did we assume the angle BPA as 120 and line segment PQ bisects the angle BPA? Why can't the angles be 180 or 60 only?

Please explain in detail,
Thank you.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 02:17
Bunuel or nick1816 can you please in more detail, please?
If I choose a point on the circle which is not highlighted in red, it is 20 inches away from P just as in the red highlighted area?
VP
VP
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 04:51
In the non-highlighted potion, R is closer to Q (less than radius of circle) than it is to P. We are only looking for the portion where R is closer to P than it is to Q.

saik1993 wrote:
Bunuel or nick1816 can you please in more detail, please?
If I choose a point on the circle which is not highlighted in red, it is 20 inches away from P just as in the red highlighted area?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 05:04
Thank you all, read the question wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a plane, points P and Q are 20 inches apart. If point R is randomly   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2019, 05:04

In a plane, points P and Q are 20 inches apart. If point R is randomly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics