Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 570 Q39 V28
GMAT 3: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: In a recent customer satisfaction survey, 2000 customers of a certain [#permalink]
err wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
mayankgupta01 wrote:
In a recent customer satisfaction survey, 2000 customers of a certain bank that had recently switched from live tellers to automated banking expressed dissatisfaction with their bank. They said that they felt alienated and insignificant, and that they believed their bank no longer cared for its customers. Many felt that the services offered were inadequate and that the banking options they desired were not present. Analysts of the banking industry have used the evidence gathered in this survey in their reports to warn banks that automation of banking procedures, while cost-efficient, leads to dissatisfaction among customers.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most forcefully undermines the conclusion of the banking industry analysts described above?

A. The customers surveyed were chosen at random, and represent a valid cross-section of the bank’s customer base.
B. The accuracy of bank record-keeping procedures has increased dramatically in recent years with the advent of advanced computers.
C. The bank in question had turned to the use of automated banking in response to customer complaints of poor service and general dissatisfaction.
D. Since the standardization of banking procedures is now controlled by federal law, the importance of banking options had declined significantly.
E. According to another survey, computerization and automation of certain other financial-services industries have led to increased client satisfaction.

Please explain the answer with reasoning?

I think that C is incorrect because in argument we have such structure:
bank provide automation -> select users with experience from that automation -> and ask them about this automation -> users complain about the automated system

But it is not clear stated that users complain about the automated system and this creates confusion. For eliminating this confusion we should pay an attention on all information in the argument: it can not be started from the telling about the automated system and then just switch on the survey about bank situation in common. So the survey was about the automated system and customer's feelings about bank before implementation of this system are out of scope.

E is correct because it weakens the argument by saying that there is another survey in the similar industry that shows satisfaction of clients.

In weaken type of question correct answer should not completely destroy an argument. Completely enough if it creates some hesitations about the conclusion of an argument.

But isn’t it a general rule that we don’t consider answer choices that talk about something other than what’s discussed in the passage, in this case other financial services. We are talking about a particular bank in the passage, we don’t care about other institutions.
This is why I didn’t select E. Could you please let me know where I am going wrong with the above logic. TIA

So you’re right. In general, this wouldn’t be a great answer (and it isn’t). But usually in the cases where an answer choice isn’t directly taking about the specific issue in the question, there will be another answer much stronger. This isn’t the case here. C doesn’t undermine the conclusion at all, and E is the only one that comes remotely close to doing so.

But this was also a bad question. Don’t think we would see something like this on the real GMAT. I would just forget about it to be honest.

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: In a recent customer satisfaction survey, 2000 customers of a certain [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I agree that E cannot work as a weaken. We have no idea whether these "certain other financial-services industries" are relevant to banking. (And that wording is strange--WHOLE INDUSTRIES were automated?)

Don't be too quick to throw out C, though, just because it doesn't prove the analysts wrong. That's not what correct weakeners typically do. Rather, it raises a serious doubt about whether the dissatisfaction expressed in the survey is a result of automation. Certainly, it's possible that when the bank automated in response to customer complaints, it only made things worse. On the other hand, it's possible that many of the complaints registered by the survey had nothing to do with automation. In fact, the customers could have been describing experiences that preceded the recent switch to automation. The point is that we don't know. If C leads us to question whether automation itself was the cause of dissatisfaction in this case, then it weakens the general claim that the automation of banking procedures leads to dissatisfaction.

Boiled down to its essentials, this is just another case of correlation vs. causation. Any time an argument reasons to a premise of "X and Y occurred" to "X caused/will cause Y," we can say that the author overlooked the alternative possibilities: "Y caused X," "Z caused both X and Y," and "no causal relationship" (i.e. bad data or coincidence).

Here, C is addressing "Y caused X." The bank made a switch, and customers were upset. But were customers upset because of the switch? C suggests that the opposite may have been the case.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V50
GRE 1: Q159 V138
Send PM
I believe that C is mistaken because, in the contention, we have such a design: The bank furnishes mechanization - > select clients with experience from that computerization - > and get some information about this robotization - > customers whine about the mechanized framework.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts