GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 14:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

In a recent study, each member of two groups of people Group A (compos

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.12
WE: Education (Internet and New Media)
Reviews Badge
In a recent study, each member of two groups of people Group A (compos  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 03:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:05) correct 34% (02:11) wrong based on 317 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Attachment:
LSAT CR 42 9.PNG
LSAT CR 42 9.PNG [ 78.34 KiB | Viewed 2245 times ]

Source: LSAT
The question is a bit tricky
Please post your explanations

Never stop fighting until you arrive at your destined place - that is, the unique you. Have an aim in life, continuously acquire knowledge, work hard, and have the perseverance to realise the great life. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In a recent study, each member of two groups of people Group A (compos  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 22:31
I think the answer should be B since it provides information which does not directly impact the result of the experiment. All other options provide information which should aid the conclusion as they directly influence the groups BEFORE the calls were made.

Would appreciate a kudos if you like my solution!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.12
WE: Education (Internet and New Media)
Reviews Badge
Re: In a recent study, each member of two groups of people Group A (compos  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 02:19
OE:

Premise:
As a person ages, his/her memory deteriorates. This is proved by evidencing the lapses in both groups. One memory doesn't have an effect on age.

Keyword:
The question stem is a little tricky. It is a strengthen question. So hunt for the additional information that can bolster the conclusion

POE
A.The correlation is between age and memory not numbers Wrong
B. This option intends to address the legitimacy of the research. This must be true. If different people answer the calls, then there might be other reason for the lapses. For example, the person attending the call might intentionally delay in answering the query. Correct
C. This is mere an inference. Wrong
D. This information does not address the correlation between the age and memory Wrong
E. This addresses that there is no delay in the starting time of the event. Irrelevant Wrong

Never stop fighting until you arrive at your destined place - that is, the unique you. Have an aim in life, continuously acquire knowledge, work hard, and have the perseverance to realise the great life. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 02:37
Could somebody explain...

Dear Experts, especcially GMATNinja I need your help I did not understand why correct answer is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 13:33
Can someone please help me with why D is incorrect and B is right? I was stuck between these two and chose D instead
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 22:52
Please provide a reason why is it B and not C
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 10:11
yell2012 wrote:
Could somebody explain...

Dear Experts, especcially GMATNinja I need your help I did not understand why correct answer is B

This is a strengthen "except" question so 4 of the answer choices will strengthen the argument whereas one answer choice will have no impact.

The arguments conclusion in that as a person ages, he/she does not suffer from at least one kind of memory loss.

If you pre-think about potential loopholes in this argument (strengthening is about closing loopholes), we could possible think of difference in the group numbers - what if the old people group had only 5 members are 1 failed to call, whereas the young group had 100 members and 14 forgot, then clearly group of the younger folks is better (20% vs 14%) and the conclusion fails. Alternatively, what if the younger group was just busy and had other things to do and just couldnt call despite remembering. or that the young peoples group were told 1 hour ago and the old people were told just 1 min before to place their call. Closing these loopholes would strengthen the argument.

A. Strengthens - as explained above. It closes 1 loophole
B. we arent really concerned with who answered the calls. we care about who made the calls - so this option has no impact on the argument. keep as contender
C. Slightly strengthens - even if confused, B looks a better bet. this may strengthen if we assume that the older people of the young group forgot to make calls. this option closes that loophole.
D. Strengthens - what if the young group were from an impoverished background and could afford a telephone (i.e had no access). so the study would not be conclusive. maybe those 14 people all would have placed a call and only that 1 old man/woman would not have done so. this option closes that loophole.
E. strengthens - again this options says that there was an even playing field b/w the 2 groups.

thus option B has no impact on the argument and plays no role in strengthening it!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 17:57
The author's conclusion is that "at least one type of memory {i.e. the type required to remember to make a phone call at a certain time} does not suffer as a person ages. How does the author arrive at that conclusion?

• A recent study compared Group A (persons sixty-five to seventy-five years old) to Group B (college students).
  • Each member of the two groups was asked to call a certain phone number at a certain time.
  • "The time when each call was initiated was recorded electronically", allowing the scientists conducting the study to see whether the group members made the calls at the requested times.
  • "Group A proved far better at remembering to make a telephone call precisely at a specified time than did Group B." In other words, members of Group A did a better job of making the phone calls at the specific times requested.
  • How much better did Group A do compared to Group B? "There were 14 lapses in Group B but only one lapse in Group A."

Thus, it seems as though the members of Group A were better able to remember to make a phone call at a certain time. But what information would be useful in establishing whether that line of reasoning is accurate? Any statement that IS useful should be eliminated because we are looking for the statement that would be the LEAST useful:

Quote:
(A) There was the same number of people in each group.

Yes, this would be useful to know. What if Group B had 1000 members but Group A only had 10? In that case, the difference in the number of lapses could be contributed to group size, not to a difference in memory between the two groups. Thus, (A) should be eliminated.

Quote:
(B) The same group of researchers answered the calls made by callers in both study groups.

All we need to know is whether the group members made their calls at the specific requested times. "The time when each call was initiated was recorded electronically," so it doesn't matter who answered the calls. (B) does NOT help us evaluate the argument or conclusion, so let's hang on to it.

Quote:
(C) Among the college students there were no persons more than forty years old.

Remember, the conclusion is that "at least one type of memory does not suffer as a person ages." This conclusion is based on evidence comparing a group of college students to a group of persons sixty-five to seventy-five years old. This argument ASSUMES that the college students were much younger, but what if that was not the case? What if most of the college students participating in the study were actually older adults or even senior citizens over sixty-five years old? That would certainly harm the author's argument. Statement (C) WOULD be useful in evaluating the conclusion, so it should be eliminated.

Quote:
(D) Both groups had unrestricted access to telephones for making the required calls.

What if the college students (Group B) did not have unrestricted access to telephones while the members of Group A did have such access? In that case, the difference in the number of lapses could be contributed to telephone access, not to a difference in memory between the two groups. Thus, (D) would be helpful and should be eliminated.

Quote:
(E) The members of the two groups received their instructions approximately the same amount of time before they were to make their telephone calls.

Again, this would provide an alternate reason to explain the difference in the number of lapses. If the college students in Group B were only give a very short amount of time and the members of Group A were given a lot of time, that might have given the members of Group A more time to prepare and make sure they would be ready to make the calls at the specified times. (E) would be helpful and should be eliminated.

Choice (B) is the best answer.

I hope that helps clear up some of the confusion!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 08:49
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a recent study, each member of two groups of people Group A (compos   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2018, 08:49

In a recent study, each member of two groups of people Group A (compos

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap