GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 01:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

     December 14, 2018

     December 14, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 419
In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2014, 05:31
2
14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (00:52) correct 37% (00:48) wrong based on 442 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes for 1995. Was the range of reported 1995 incomes for these families greater than $60,000?

(1) Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000.
(2) Seven of the reported incomes were between $80,000 and $95,000.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: busyness school student
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 419
Location: United States
Schools: Tepper '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Premium Member
Re: In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2014, 05:37
3
1
Statement 1 is insufficient as it only provides the lower bound.
Statement 2 is insufficient as it only provides the upper bound.

Now let's combine both statements, and try the extremes.
Case 1: 13 incomes of 34,000 and 7 incomes of 81,000
Range = 81,000 - 34,000 = 47,000.

Case 2: 13 incomes of 21,000 and 7 incomes of 94,000
Range = 94,000 - 21,000 = 73,000.

In case 1, range is less than 60,000 and in case 2 the range is greater than 60,000.

Thus, the answer is E.
_________________

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2013
Posts: 260
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2014, 08:53
3
1
Statement 1: We only know about the 13 values and know nothing about the remaining values
Statement 2: We only know about the 7 values and know nothing about the remaining values

1+2 --> lowest possible range is = 80k-35k = 45k and the highest possible= 95k-20k = 75k. Since the range is between 45k to 75k impossible to tell if it is greater than 60k. Insuff!

Ans: E
_________________

Please contact me for super inexpensive quality private tutoring

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 237
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 03:33
goodyear2013 wrote:
In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes for 1995. Was the range of reported 1995 incomes for these families greater than $60,000?

(1) Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000.
(2) Seven of the reported incomes were between $80,000 and $95,000.


This question and statements, quite ambiguous for me.

"Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000." --> I thought that $20.000 and $35.000 MUST be among thirteen.
But, as we can see in the answer, $20.000 and $35.000 MAY or MAYBE among thirteen.

Could you please explain Bunuel ? What can we learn from this case?
_________________

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51163
Re: In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 03:51
1
septwibowo wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:
In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes for 1995. Was the range of reported 1995 incomes for these families greater than $60,000?

(1) Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000.
(2) Seven of the reported incomes were between $80,000 and $95,000.


This question and statements, quite ambiguous for me.

"Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000." --> I thought that $20.000 and $35.000 MUST be among thirteen.
But, as we can see in the answer, $20.000 and $35.000 MAY or MAYBE among thirteen.

Could you please explain Bunuel ? What can we learn from this case?


Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000 does not necessarily mean that any of the incomes must be $20,000 or $35,000. It means that $20,000 < (all 13 incomes) < $35,000.

The same logic applies to the second statement.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Aug 2017
Posts: 38
Location: United States (FL)
Schools: Stanford '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4
In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 13:44
Bunuel wrote:
septwibowo wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:
In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes for 1995. Was the range of reported 1995 incomes for these families greater than $60,000?

(1) Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000.
(2) Seven of the reported incomes were between $80,000 and $95,000.


This question and statements, quite ambiguous for me.

"Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000." --> I thought that $20.000 and $35.000 MUST be among thirteen.
But, as we can see in the answer, $20.000 and $35.000 MAY or MAYBE among thirteen.

Could you please explain Bunuel ? What can we learn from this case?


Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000 does not necessarily mean that any of the incomes must be $20,000 or $35,000. It means that $20,000 < (all 13 incomes) < $35,000.

The same logic applies to the second statement.


This is one where the English and Math don't match. In English, when one says "Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000" one implies that at least one salary is 20,000 (or just above it) and one salary is 35K or just below it. In English, this is how one specifies a range, by saying "all x were between y and z."

It's surprising that this was an official GMAT question. Perhaps this ambiguity is why it was retired.
Current Student
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 507
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 19:46
alainca wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
septwibowo wrote:
This question and statements, quite ambiguous for me.

"Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000." --> I thought that $20.000 and $35.000 MUST be among thirteen.
But, as we can see in the answer, $20.000 and $35.000 MAY or MAYBE among thirteen.

Could you please explain Bunuel ? What can we learn from this case?


Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000 does not necessarily mean that any of the incomes must be $20,000 or $35,000. It means that $20,000 < (all 13 incomes) < $35,000.

The same logic applies to the second statement.


This is one where the English and Math don't match. In English, when one says "Thirteen of the reported incomes were between $20,000 and $35,000" one implies that at least one salary is 20,000 (or just above it) and one salary is 35K or just below it.In English, this is how one specifies a range, by saying "all x were between y and z."

It's surprising that this was an official GMAT question. Perhaps this ambiguity is why it was retired.


I beg to differ on that statement.
Even in general english usage when we say that something is between X & Y, it does not necessarily mean that "something" is X or Y.
For eg. All Top Indian B-schools are ranked between 25 to 35 in global FT Rankings.
Does this mean, one of the Indian B-Schools is ranked 25 or 35 ??
I hope you would agree, Not necessarily.
_________________

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Aug 2017
Posts: 38
Location: United States (FL)
Schools: Stanford '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4
Re: In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 19:49
mihir0710 wrote:

I beg to differ on that statement.
Even in general english usage when we say that something is between X & Y, it does not necessarily mean that "something" is X or Y.
For eg. All Top Indian B-schools are ranked between 25 to 35 in global FT Rankings.
Does this mean, one of the Indian B-Schools is ranked 25 or 35 ??
I hope you would agree, Not necessarily.


I disagree. If you said to me that all Top Indian B Schools are ranked between 25 to 35, I would assume that one is ranked 25 and one 35. Otherwise why would you give that range? If I said to you all basketball players in the NBA are between 5'11 and 7'3, you would assume that there is an example on each extreme.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 9142
Premium Member
Re: In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 04:03
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes &nbs [#permalink] 16 Nov 2018, 04:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a recent survey, twenty families reported their incomes

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.