GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a textile company, 60 percent employees are male and the rest are

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49916
In a textile company, 60 percent employees are male and the rest are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 05:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

97% (00:37) correct 3% (00:52) wrong based on 30 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a textile company, 60 percent employees are male and the rest are females. In a union election, 40 percent of male and 60 percent of female employees voted for a Candidate P. What percent of the total employees voted for Candidate P?

(A) 40%
(B) 48%
(C) 50%
(D) 60%
(E) 64%

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 3000
Location: Canada
Re: In a textile company, 60 percent employees are male and the rest are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 10:03
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
In a textile company, 60 percent employees are male and the rest are females. In a union election, 40 percent of male and 60 percent of female employees voted for a Candidate P. What percent of the total employees voted for Candidate P?

(A) 40%
(B) 48%
(C) 50%
(D) 60%
(E) 64%


Let's assign a nice value to the total number of employees.
Let's say that is a TOTAL of 100 employees

In a textile company, 60 percent employees are male and the rest are females. I
So, there are 60 males and 40 females

In a union election, 40 percent of male and 60 percent of female employees voted for a Candidate P.
40% of 60 = 24. So, 24 males voted for Candidate P
60% of 40 = 24. So, 24 females voted for Candidate P
TOTAL number of people who voted for Candidate P = 24 + 24 = 48

What percent of the total employees voted for Candidate P?
48 employees out of 100 employees = 48%

Answer: B

RELATED VIDEO FROM OUR COURSE

_________________

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Sign up for our free Question of the Day emails

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 1
Re: In a textile company, 60 percent employees are male and the rest are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 20:05
0.6 male * 0.4 voted = 0.24

0.4 female * 0.6 voted = 0.24

0.24 + 0.24 = 0.48

Thus, B

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Dec 2017
Posts: 115
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Real Estate
Schools: Johnson '21
Re: In a textile company, 60 percent employees are male and the rest are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 21:35
Let us assume the total number employees in the company is 100

ME = 60
FE = 40

In the union election, 40% ME voted and 60% of the FE voted.
=>ME = 40/100 x 60 = 24
=>FE = 60/100 X 40 = 24

A total of 48 out of 100 employees voted for candidate P. Hence it's 48%.

Answer is B
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
P
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 3846
Location: United States (CA)
Re: In a textile company, 60 percent employees are male and the rest are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 17:23
Bunuel wrote:
In a textile company, 60 percent employees are male and the rest are females. In a union election, 40 percent of male and 60 percent of female employees voted for a Candidate P. What percent of the total employees voted for Candidate P?

(A) 40%
(B) 48%
(C) 50%
(D) 60%
(E) 64%


Let’s assume that the total number of employees is 100, so there are 60 males and 40 females.

We know that 40 percent of the 60 males voted for Candidate P, which is 0.40 x 60 = 24. We know that 60 percent of the 40 females voted for Candidate P, which is 0.60 x 40 = 24. Thus, 24 males and 24 females voted for Candidate P, so 48/100 = 48% voted for Candidate P.

Answer: B
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a textile company, 60 percent employees are male and the rest are &nbs [#permalink] 27 Sep 2018, 17:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a textile company, 60 percent employees are male and the rest are

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.