Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:15 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 1250
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2291 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 925 [7]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Send PM
In an attempt to produce a coffee plant that would yield beans contain [#permalink]
Kudos
avigutman wrote:
GraceSCKao wrote:
C. In coffee plants, the initial stages of caffeine production take place only in the beans, but later stages depend on another substance that is synthesized only in the leaves and does not depend on the blocked substance.[/color]
-> Okay, the initial stages of caffeine production takes place only in the beans.
-> We know that the synthesis of the substance essential for the initial stage of production is blocked in the leaves, but we do not know whether the substance could still be produced in the beans.

Actually, we can infer that the substance can be produced in the beans.

avigutman wrote:
GraceSCKao wrote:
E. Caffeine was produced in the beans of the modified coffee plants, but all of it moved to the leaves, which normally produce their own caffeine.
->The production takes place in the beans. It is still unclear to us whether the substance could be produced in the beans.

Actually, we can infer that the substance was produced in the beans. Because if it couldn't be produced in the beans, the modified plants' wouldn't have been able to produce any caffeine.
It's worth noting that the most important words in (C) are "does not depend on", and the most important words in (E) are "all of it."

Hi avigutman

Thank you so much for your response and explanation!
Now I am more clear about the difference between "the basis for an explanation" and "the explanation," thank you.

Sorry that I still have few follow-up questions about the caffeine production and substance synthesis( I poured myself the second cup of coffee to write this reply)--would appreciate if you could share some thoughts when you have time. :)

First, I hope to compare the option (C) and (E):
Quote:
C. In coffee plants, the initial stages of caffeine production take place only in the beans, but later stages depend on another substance that is synthesized only in the leaves and does not depend on the blocked substance.
E. Caffeine was produced in the beans of the modified coffee plants, but all of it moved to the leaves, which normally produce their own caffeine.

I can understand that because the option (E) specifically introduces the production situation in the modified coffee plants, we could use the fact "caffeine was produced in the beans" to infer that "the substance could be synthesized not only in the leaves," since if the substance is only synthesized in the leaves and not anywhere else, the caffeine would not be produced in the beans because of the blocked synthesis in the leaves. Thank you for explaining this part.

But I have some difficulty understanding your analysis on the option (C). Unlike the option (E), the option (C) seems to introduce a general production situation of coffee plants, not the specific situation of modified coffee plants. When I read the information "the initial stages of caffeine production take place only in the beans," my understanding is just "okay, in coffee plants, the early stage of production occurs in the beans, so the substance that is essential for that stage should be in the beans. But, the substance might come from anywhere else and we do not know where it comes from." The substance could be synthesized in the leaves and move to the beans, or the substance is synthesized in the beans and stays there all the time. I do not think I could draw a further inference about the sources of the substance with the option (C).

On the other hand, if the option (C) talked about the specific production situation in the modified coffee plants, I would be able to understand why we can infer that the substance could be synthesized in the beans. (Since the synthesis of the substance has been stopped in the leaves but the initial production still takes place in the beans, the substance must be able to be produced elsewhere.) With this inference, we can be more sure that the coffee beans should contain caffeine and thus the option could not serve as a basis for the explanation of the observed results. But, the phrasing of the option (C) seems to suggest that the option talks about a general case.

I feel that except for the option (E), all other four options talk about the general case of the caffeine production in coffee plants. I never thought that the test designers could add variations to the options this way, but apparently they can. The general tongue might be one of the reasons I am more skeptical about some of the options. The options tell me a general case, and I need to see if there could be a reasonable connection between the general case and the specific case, but there is so much uncertainty. I personally think finding the basis is harder than finding the explanation itself.

Meanwhile, for the option (B):
avigutman wrote:
GraceSCKao wrote:
B. In coffee plants, the last stage of caffeine production takes place in the beans using a compound that is produced only in the leaves by the substance.[/color]
->The last stage of caffeine production needs a compound that is produced only in the leaves and that is produced by the substance.
->But we only know that the synthesis of the substance is blocked only in the leaves in this case. We do not know whether the substance can still be produced in the beans, nor do we know whether the substance that is produced in the beans can move to the leave to help develop the compound. If the answers to the two questions are "yes," then the option (B) cannot really explain the results.

Actually we do know that the substance cannot be produced in the beans, thanks to "only in the leaves."

"a compound that is produced only in the leaves by the substance."

May I ask how we interpret this modifier? To me this modifier seems to mean that the compound is produced only in the leaves and the compound is produced by the substance in the leaves," but it does not necessarily mean that the substance is also produced/synthesized only in the leaves. Have I mistaken it?

Sorry avigutman that my response is a bit long, once again.
Thank you for helping me learn these concepts and make improvements.
Appreciate your time and response. :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2291 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: In an attempt to produce a coffee plant that would yield beans contain [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
GraceSCKao wrote:
Option (C) seems to introduce a general production situation of coffee plants, not the specific situation of modified coffee plants. When I read the information "the initial stages of caffeine production take place only in the beans," my understanding is just "okay, in coffee plants, the early stage of production occurs in the beans, so the substance that is essential for that stage should be in the beans. But, the substance might come from anywhere else and we do not know where it comes from." The substance could be synthesized in the leaves and move to the beans, or the substance is synthesized in the beans and stays there all the time. I do not think I could draw a further inference about the sources of the substance with the option (C).

I'm going to disagree here, GraceSCKao, for the following reason:
If indeed the substance that is essential for that stage was synthesized in the leaves and then moved to the beans, then I believe it would be false to claim that "the initial stages of caffeine production take place only in the beans." Don't forget, we know from the passage that: "the synthesis of a substance known to be integral to the initial stages of caffeine production" so I would argue that this synthesis is indeed a stage within "the initial stages of caffeine production." Definition of "integral": necessary to make a whole complete; essential or fundamental.
In fact, when I first attempted this problem I chose (C) without reading it all the way to the end (and without reading (D) and (E). I only had to read this part of (C):
In coffee plants, the initial stages of caffeine production take place only in the beans, but later stages...
Just from that, I could tell that this answer choices isn't going to be able to explain (or even provide the basis for an explanation) of the observed results.

GraceSCKao wrote:
I feel that except for the option (E), all other four options talk about the general case of the caffeine production in coffee plants. I never thought that the test designers could add variations to the options this way, but apparently they can. The general tongue might be one of the reasons I am more skeptical about some of the options. The options tell me a general case, and I need to see if there could be a reasonable connection between the general case and the specific case, but there is so much uncertainty. I personally think finding the basis is harder than finding the explanation itself.

I agree. However, anything true of the general case is also going to be true of the specific case, so perhaps information about the general case is even more useful than information about a specific case.

GraceSCKao wrote:
In option B: "a compound that is produced only in the leaves by the substance."

May I ask how we interpret this modifier? To me this modifier seems to mean that the compound is produced only in the leaves and the compound is produced by the substance in the leaves," but it does not necessarily mean that the substance is also produced/synthesized only in the leaves. Have I mistaken it?

I see your point now. Yes, answer choice (B) leaves open the possibility that the substance is synthesized in the beans and then moves to the leaves to allow them to produce the compound which then goes back to the beans for the last stage of caffeine production. In this scenario, (B) doesn't explain the observed results.
But our job isn't to poke holes in the answer choices and wonder whether there could be a scenario in which they fail to explain the observed results. Our job is to pick out the one answer choice that completely fails to provide the basis for an explanation of the observed results, under any circumstances or imagined scenarios.
So, I think you did more work than is necessary here - in this problem we needn't (shouldn't) use our imagination and ask "what if?". We must instead extend a level of generosity to the answer choices as we eliminate them, and choose the one that wouldn't explain the observed results no matter how generous we are toward it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
Re: In an attempt to produce a coffee plant that would yield beans contain [#permalink]
avigutman wrote:
I'm going to disagree here, GraceSCKao, for the following reason:
If indeed the substance that is essential for that stage was synthesized in the leaves and then moved to the beans, then I believe it would be false to claim that "the initial stages of caffeine production take place only in the beans." Don't forget, we know from the passage that: "the synthesis of a substance known to be integral to the initial stages of caffeine production" so I would argue that this synthesis is indeed a stage within "the initial stages of caffeine production." Definition of "integral": necessary to make a whole complete; essential or fundamental.
In fact, when I first attempted this problem I chose (C) without reading it all the way to the end (and without reading (D) and (E). I only had to read this part of (C):
In coffee plants, the initial stages of caffeine production take place only in the beans, but later stages...
Just from that, I could tell that this answer choices isn't going to be able to explain (or even provide the basis for an explanation) of the observed results.

Thank you avigutman so much for your detailed explanations!
I finally see it now. I misunderstood that the word "integral" just means "important" or "essential," but in fact the word "integral" means more than that--it means "necessary as a part of a whole." So now I can understand why we can use the phrasing "the initial stages...take place only in the beans" in the option (C) to infer that the substance is produced/synthesized only in the beans.

Since the substance is synthesized only in the beans, the synthesis would not be affected by the blocking in the leaves. Hence, the production would go smoothly and thus the beans would contain caffeine. The option (C) would not be able to serve as the basis for an explanation of the observed results anyway. This is contrary to my initial analysis and I really appreciate that you help me make improvements. :)

avigutman wrote:
But our job isn't to poke holes in the answer choices and wonder whether there could be a scenario in which they fail to explain the observed results. Our job is to pick out the one answer choice that completely fails to provide the basis for an explanation of the observed results, under any circumstances or imagined scenarios.
So, I think you did more work than is necessary here - in this problem we needn't (shouldn't) use our imagination and ask "what if?". We must instead extend a level of generosity to the answer choices as we eliminate them, and choose the one that wouldn't explain the observed results no matter how generous we are toward it.

Thank you for elaborating on this point.
I know that when we are to weaken an argument, we do not necessarily need to disprove the argument, and when we are to strengthen the argument, we do not need to prove the argument. Some uncertainty can be allowed.
This type of task (finding the basis for an explanation) is new to me--really thank you for your clear explanations. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
parkhydel wrote:
In an attempt to produce a coffee plant that would yield beans containing no caffeine, the synthesis of a substance known to be integral to the initial stages of caffeine production was blocked either in the beans, in the leaves, or both. For those plants in which synthesis of the substance was blocked only in the leaves, the resulting beans contained no caffeine.

Any of the following, if true, would provide the basis for an explanation of the observed results EXCEPT:

A. In coffee plants, the substance is synthesized only in the leaves and then moves to the beans, where the initial stages of caffeine production take place.

B. In coffee plants, the last stage of caffeine production takes place in the beans using a compound that is produced only in the leaves by the substance.

C. In coffee plants, the initial stages of caffeine production take place only in the beans, but later stages depend on another substance that is synthesized only in the leaves and does not depend on the blocked substance.

D. In coffee plants, caffeine production takes place only in the leaves, but the caffeine then moves to the beans.

CR00860.02

Since the question is asking us to exclude we'll search for questions that explain the observed results, then eliminate that option. Any option that explains why "blocked only in the leaves" means "beans contained no caffeine" will be removed.

A, and B mention that the substance is made in the leaves then moves to the beans. We can eliminate these choices.

D mentions caffeine is made in the leaves then moves to the beans. Gone!

E differs from A, B, and D but this option still explains why the beans have no caffeine, everything moved to the leaves.

C is the only one that doesn't explain why there's no caffeine in the beans "synthesized only in the leaves and does not depend on the blocked substance" meaning caffeine would still be created and sent to the beans.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Good question, I thought this as 3 possible cases: leaves/beans/both. And assumed that even blocking the substance in both, didn't stop caffeine production. And that's where I went wrong and wasted more time on this question only to get a wrong answer. :/
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts