It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 08:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In an interview that appeared in a weekly plumbing magazine, the chair

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
Premium Member
In an interview that appeared in a weekly plumbing magazine, the chair [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 01:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (00:57) correct 27% (01:27) wrong based on 119 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In an interview that appeared in a weekly plumbing magazine, the chairperson of the Plumbing Association stated that plumbers are called 45% more on Fridays than on any other day of the week. The chairperson claimed that, though unexplained, it seems pipes are 45% more likely to burst on Fridays.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the chairperson's claim that pipes are 45% more likely to burst on Fridays?

A) Not only plumbers but also electricians are requested to fix appliances on Fridays more than on any other day of the week.

B) People are more concerned about their houses being intact before the weekend than on any other time during the week.

C) A comprehensive survey of 504 households throughout the United States clearly shows that plumbers are called 45% less frequently on Sundays than on any other day of the week.

D) Plumbers charge twenty percent more for house calls made on Friday.

E) There is an undeniable correlation between the strength of the metal used for pipes and the anti-oxidizing coating it is painted with prior to installation.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In an interview that appeared in a weekly plumbing magazine, the chair [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 01:40
B gives a good alternative for the 45% increment

Sent from my D6503 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Re: In an interview that appeared in a weekly plumbing magazine, the chair [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 05:31
why not A? is the answer to the question as it also weakens the argument above.................................
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 08:06
chanuGupta wrote:
why not A? is the answer to the question as it also weakens the argument above.................................

A is a good contender, however, B is the better choice.

If electricians get called in on Fridays as frequently as plumbers on Fridays, we might be inclined to think that there are things to fix on Fridays in general. The problem is that it isn't stated explicitly. Therefore it doesn't really weaken the plumber's argument of the increased likeliness to burst.

In contrast to that, B gives us a clear reason why people call plumbers more frequently on Fridays: They are more concerned about their houses on these days. This statement is a clear weakener and hence preferable over A.

Hope that makes sense to you :-)

My goal: 700 GMAT score

If I could help you with my answer, please think about giving me Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 19:35
chanuGupta wrote:

In addition to that i want to give you a general pattern gmat follows. if something is happening/impacting in x then it does not mean same thing will happen/impact Y. always find the answer that is talking about X.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Re: In an interview that appeared in a weekly plumbing magazine, the chair   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2018, 19:35

In an interview that appeared in a weekly plumbing magazine, the chair

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap