Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1713 [70]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1713 [10]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: In California and New York, Democratic challengers will need to spend [#permalink]
the non underlined portion of this question does not make any sense !!
this construction "ahead to beat back rivals for their own party’s nomination" is hanging .bolded portion does not make any sense .in fact "their own party's" is very awkward .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: In California and New York, Democratic challengers will need to spend [#permalink]
Kudos
In California and New York, Democratic challengers will need to spend more heavily in the months ahead to beat back rivals for their own party’s nomination, or to introduce themselves to voters against Republicans who are already well-known.

A. nomination, or to introduce

On first glance, I considered this a comma splice since "to introduce themselves to voters against Republicans who are already well-known" is not a complete thought.

B. nomination, introduce

This is most definitely a comma splice. Eliminate this one.

C. nomination by introducing

This was the one I was leaning toward at first because it is not a comma splice and it does not violate parallelism. However, I thought that this distorts the meaning of the original sentence. See choice E for the same reasoning. Eliminate this one too.

D. nomination, and introducing

Not parallel with "will need to spend." Eliminated.

E. nomination through the introduction of

This distorts the original meaning of the sentence. That is the democrat will either have "to spend" or "to introduce." Eliminated.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [2]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Imo A
Meaning here is key .
Why the candidates of democratic will have to pay more in the coming months .
The reason can be 1) To secure nomination they have to beat rivals from their own party.
2) To introduce themselves to public against republican candidates.
These two steps are going to be expensive.
only option A makes sense in such a scenario.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
There's a meaning reason to choose "or" over "and": the idea is that a challenger may be trying to beat or unseat other Democrats, or they may be running unopposed against a Republican. It's not necessarily both. However, since the only choice with "and" (D) doesn't work grammatically, we don't need to worry about this, or to know anything about American politics. (By the way, while the GMAT would be unlikely to use this content, there's nothing particularly topical about this statement--it could be true in any election season.)

As for C, it implies that Democratic candidates will succeed against other Democrats by means of introducing themselves to the general voters who may vote Republican. These are two different steps of the process (securing the Democratic nomination and winning the general election against a Republican.) Then again, I'm a long-time California voter. If this isn't clear to everyone, then I'd say that this part does rely on political knowledge!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Hello abhimahna - Could you please help me out here -

Which two things are parallel here -
-- "to spend more money heavily" & "to introduce themselves" (OR)
-- "to beat back rivals" & "to introduce themselves"

I thought - choice A is not making this clear and so selected choice C - which I think is grammatically correct but changes the meaning. Looking forward for your reply -
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
madhukaramar wrote:
Hello abhimahna - Could you please help me out here -

Which two things are parallel here -
-- "to spend more money heavily" & "to introduce themselves" (OR)
-- "to beat back rivals" & "to introduce themselves"

I thought - choice A is not making this clear and so selected choice C - which I think is grammatically correct but changes the meaning. Looking forward for your reply -

Hey madhukaramar ,

I am happy to help :-)

You didn't notice the comma "," before "or to introduce". This is used to clarify the point that || elements of the sentence are 'to spend more" and "to introduce".

Remember this is similar to the construction X, Y and Z , and W. Here Y and Z are || and X is || to (Y and Z) which in turn is || to W.

Also, understanding the meaning of the sentence is the key here. One should not rely completely on the grammar.

As per the meaning of the sentence, "Democratic challengers" need to spend heavily on something as well as introduce themselves.

Hence, A is a clear winner here.

For C, as you mentioned meaning is changing. This is not allowed when you have choice A present.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Good question, C is a trap choice, "this or that" format. Meaning trumps rules.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
DmitryFarber

Although A is correct, but I have a doubt in this.

"party’s nomination, or to introduce", why there is a comma before or?

That shouldn't make any sense.

Please explain me, if it does makes sense
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
In California and New York, Democratic challengers will need to spend [#permalink]
To me, like someone said, this is nothing but a riddle.

In California and New York,
Democratic challengers
will need to spend more heavily in the months ahead to beat back rivals for their own party’s nomination,
or [they will need] to introduce themselves to voters against Republicans who are already well-known.

It seems like too much is missing to make these statements parallel. The comma though strongly indicates this split.

In California and New York,
Democratic challengers will need to spend more heavily in the months ahead
to beat back rivals for their own party’s nomination,
or to introduce themselves to voters against Republicans who are already well-known.

However, the meaning here doesnt get to me. The goal for the challengers is to win the election process within their own party. This can be achieved either "by beating back rivals" or by "introducing themselves to voters in debates against well-know Republicans". But... isn't this introduction of themselves just one of many measure they can take to achieve their goal of winning their own party's nomination?

So on a meaning level, this choice is not parallel. Either we achieve the goal A or we take one specific measure that could lead us to achieve our goal A. What?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
In California and New York, Democratic challengers will need to spend more heavily in the months ahead to beat back rivals for their own party’s nomination* , or to* introduce themselves to voters against Republicans who are already well-known.

I always get confused with the use of commas. I eliminated A because a comma + conjunction requires an independent clause proceeding it.

Can someone help me to understand if there are any exceptions to the above rule. Also, does GMAT tests such cases?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts