It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 04:29

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Country Y, the median age of the population

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior RC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1604 [1], given: 282

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
In Country Y, the median age of the population [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2014, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:14) correct 21% (01:36) wrong based on 226 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In Country Y, the median age of the population has been increasing rapidly because modern medicine is now available to the majority of the population. To prepare for a projected increase of 30% in its senior population, the country is instituting a nationwide program to build nursing homes to house the elderly in upcoming years.

Which of the following statement, if true, would most strongly suggest that Country Y's plan with regards to Country Y's elderly citizens is flawed?

A. There has also been a surge in college-age citizens in Country Y, but there is no effort to build more colleges.

B. The medical advances in Country Y are keeping most of the elderly more healthy and fit than they were in prior periods, enabling them to live independently or with family for the duration of their lives.

C. The nursing and medical schools in Country Y are not graduating more nurses and doctors.

D. Most of the elderly in Country Y are covered by national health insurance.

E. The costs of medication in Country Y are much lower than in neighboring countries.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Kudos [?]: 1604 [1], given: 282

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In Country Y, the median age of the population [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2014, 09:32
B seems best: The medical advances in Country Y are keeping most of the elderly more healthy and fit than they were in prior periods, enabling them to live independently or with family for the duration of their lives.

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 61

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 20:36
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 571

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 10:37
Even I went with B and my reason for selecting this option was that the elderly are as it is more healthy than in previous years resulting in their long life and hence building more nursing homes for them will not help in increasing their age.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 571

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 181

GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V26
GPA: 3.68
In Country Y, the median age of the population [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 18:55
I can`t understand why B is the answer.

Apparently, we should choose a option which demonstrates that the plan is flawed.

But B just offers one of alternatives (even though we don`t know such one is better)

And that option doesn`t demonstrate any flaw within the plan.

(and the logic in it is really problematic. The logic depends on the evidence which derive from the past statement
which does not relevant with the success of the plan)

But C (though it is not crystal clear) demonstrates a flaw in it.

Mike sir, please help.

mikemcgarry

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 181

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [2], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 18:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bluetrain wrote:
I can`t understand why B is the answer.

Apparently, we should choose a option which demonstrates that the plan is flawed.

But B just offers one of alternatives (even though we don`t know such one is better)

And that option doesn`t demonstrate any flaw within the plan.

(and the logic in it is really problematic. The logic depends on the evidence which derive from the past statement
which does not relevant with the success of the plan)

But C (though it is not crystal clear) demonstrates a flaw in it.

Mike sir, please help.

mikemcgarry

Hi bluetrain!

Carolyn from Magoosh here - I'll step in for Mike :-)

First, let's summarize the argument. The argument here is: Because of modern medicine, people are living longer, and therefore we should build more nursing homes. To find a flaw with the argument, we need to find a flaw with one of these parts. Option B points out a flaw with the last part: "and therefore we should build more nursing homes". Option B states that because of these medical advantages, people are staying healthier into old age. So, they won't all need to live in nursing homes. Therefore, we should NOT build more nursing homes, because the elderly population will not need them. This directly contradicts the argument.

Choice C says: The nursing and medical schools in Country Y are not graduating more nurses and doctors.

Now, looking back at the elements of the argument, this doesn't really have anything to do with any of them. It's true that this indicates that there might be a problem with the plan eventually, since there may not be enough nurses and doctors to staff the nursing homes, but it's not directly related to the argument (people living longer = more need for nursing homes). The argument itself stays valid under this case, there's just an additional problem that needs to be considered. But choice B does question the actual argument (people living longer does NOT = more need for nursing homes). So choice B fits better, based on what we're asked here.

Does that make sense? Hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 21 [2], given: 4

Re: In Country Y, the median age of the population   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2017, 18:46

In Country Y, the median age of the population

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap