GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 11:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In GenSect Solutions, majority of the IT professionals

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
In GenSect Solutions, majority of the IT professionals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 07:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (02:01) correct 61% (02:25) wrong based on 117 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In GenSect Solutions, majority of the IT professionals work on Projects involving coding. A survey done last year found that as high as 25% of female IT professionals but only 5% of male ones committed errors while writing codes. The findings of the survey clearly indicate that a longer stint at writing codes and therefore a greater proficiency in coding makes male IT professionals much better at writing codes than their female counterparts.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The per capita coding work done by male IT professionals is not significantly lower than that done by their female counterparts.

B
The male IT professional do not constitute a significantly larger percentage of IT professionals at GenSect Solutions than the female ones.

C
The higher percentage of errors in newly joined IT professionals as compared to that in employees with a few years’ experience is attributable to the greater amount of coding experience.

D. The male IT professionals, in general do a comparable amount of coding with reference to the female IT professionals.

E
The client companies of GenSect prefer their projects to be handled by male IT professionals because of the lower error margins
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Re: In GenSect Solutions, majority of the IT professionals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 09:45
Hi, while evaluating the argument, I did realise that in order to do a likewise comparison between male & female coder, the quantum of work between the 2 should be the same.

So I narrowed down my anwers to A & D, but eventually ended up choosing D.

So can anyone suggest to me what makes A a better option over D? both talks about the work done by the two needs to be comparable both in quantity & work difficulty or quality.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: In GenSect Solutions, majority of the IT professionals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 10:09
abhishek31 wrote:
Hi, while evaluating the argument, I did realise that in order to do a likewise comparison between male & female coder, the quantum of work between the 2 should be the same.

So can anyone suggest to me what makes A a better option over D? both talks about the work done by the two needs to be comparable both in quantity & work difficulty or quality.

Hey,

I was able to narrow it down to A&D as well. My bet on this is that D does not suggest any direction in the amount of work; it only says "it's comparable": meaning it could go either way. If they do more, then that's not the assumption. If they do less, that's the assumption. So D is a bit weak. A on the other side clearly states the directions of the amount of work, mentionning that they do less. Thus, it's superior.

I am not sure it's the right reasoning, but managed to get the answer with that. Hope it helps.
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
In GenSect Solutions, majority of the IT professionals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 10:13
abhishek31 wrote:

(A) and (D) are similar, and, at first glance, one could get the impression that this question has two correct answers. At the same time, there is a key difference between (A) and (D).

(D) says merely that the amounts of coding done by each are comparable. That is not an assumption necessary for making the argument, because the argument would work even if the male IT professionals were doing much MORE coding, in which case the amounts of coding would not be comparable.

(A) makes clear that the assumption is that the male IT professionals are not doing much LESS coding, which assumption is necessary for the integrity of this argument.

Noticing the DIRECTION of the impact of statements made in answer choices is a key aspect of correctly answering CR questions.

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
In GenSect Solutions, majority of the IT professionals   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2019, 10:13

In GenSect Solutions, majority of the IT professionals

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics