Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619175 [102]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 647 [26]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [23]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [7]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
In how many ways can 5 apples (identical) be distributed among 4 child [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
In how many ways can 5 apples (identical) be distributed among 4 children? (Some children may get no apples.)

(A) 56
(B) 144
(C) 200
(D) 256
(E) 312

TL;DR

Direct Formula:

The total number of ways of dividing n IDENTICAL items among r groups, each one of whom, can receive 0, 1, 2 or more items: (n+r-1)C(r-1)

(5+4-1)C(4-1) = 8C3 = 8*7*6/3! = 8*7 = 56 ways

Intuitive Method 1:

Think of dividers + items (AA|A|A|A)
Anagram Grid: 3 lines & 5 apples
8!/3!5! = 56 ways

Intuitive Method 2:

Think of dividers + items (AA|A|A|A)
# of Dividers = Groups (i.e. people) - 1. = 4 - 1 = 3
Formula: (Items + Dividers)C(Dividers) = (5+3)C(3) = 8C3 = 56 ways

Official Solution

Credit: Veritas Prep

We have 5 identical apples and 4 children. We want to find the number of ways in which these apples can be distributed among the children.

Method I

5 apples can be distributed in various ways: {5, 0, 0, 0}, {4, 1, 0, 0}, {3, 2, 0, 0}, {3, 1, 1, 0}, {2, 2, 1, 0}, {2, 1, 1, 1}.

{5, 0, 0, 0} means that one child gets all 5 apples and all others get none. Similarly, {4, 1, 0, 0} means that one child gets 4 apples and another child gets 1 apple. No one else gets any apples and so on…

In each one of these cases, various arrangements are possible e.g. take the case of {5, 0, 0, 0}. The first child could get all 5 apples OR the second child could get all 5 apples OR the third child could get all 5 apples OR the fourth child could get all 5 apples. Basically, the number of ways in which these 4 objects – 5, 0, 0 and 0 can be distributed in 4 different spots (i.e. 4 children) is 4!/3! = 4 arrangements (we divide by 3! because three of the objects – 0, 0 and 0 – are identical). This is just our beloved basic counting principle in action.

Similarly, in the case of {4, 1, 0, 0}, we will get 4!/2! = 12 arrangements (since 2 objects are identical) i.e. 5 apples can be distributed among 4 children by giving 4 apples to one child and 1 apple to another child in 12 ways. The first child could get 4 apples and the second child could get 1 apple OR the third child could get 4 apples and the first child could get 1 apple etc.

In the same way, we will get 12 arrangements in each one of these cases: {3, 2, 0, 0}, {3, 1, 1, 0} and {2, 2, 1, 0}. In the case of {2, 1, 1, 1}, we will get 4!/3! = 4 arrangements.

In all, 5 identical apples can be distributed among 4 children in 4 + 12 + 12 + 12 + 12 + 4 = 56 ways

Here, we have just counted out the ways in which 5 things can be distributed in 4 groups. If we miss even one of these cases, all our effort would go waste. Therefore, let’s look at a more analytical method of solving this question.

Method II

Let’s put the 5 apples in a row: A A A A A

We have to split them in 4 groups. The 4 groups will have a one-to-one relation with the 4 children – Apples in the first group will be given to the first child, those in the second group will be given to the second child and so on…

Say we split the apples in 4 groups in the following way: A A l A l A l A

The vertical lines separate one group from the other. The first group has 2 apples and the rest of the three groups have 1 apple each. This means, the first child gets 2 apples and each of the other 3 children get 1 apple each.

The split can also be made in the following way: A l A A l A l A

Here, the second group has 2 apples and the rest of the three groups have 1 apple each. So the second child gets 2 apples and the rest of the 3 children get 1 apple each.

The split can also be made in the following way: l A A A l A l A

Here, the first group has no apples, the second group has 3 apples and the third and the fourth groups have one apple each. The first child gets no apples, the second child gets 3 apples and the other 2 children get 1 apple each.

What I am trying to show here is that arranging these 5 identical As and the 3 identical vertical lines in as many different ways as possible will give us all the ways in which we can distribute 5 identical apples among 4 different children.

In how many different ways can we arrange these 8 objects i.e. 5 identical As and 3 identical vertical lines? In 8!/(5! * 3!) = 56 ways

Answer (A)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 647 [6]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
In how many ways can 5 apples (identical) be distributed among 4 child [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ar500 wrote:
kunal555 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In how many ways can 5 apples (identical) be distributed among 4 children? (Some children may get no apples.)

(A) 56
(B) 144
(C) 200
(D) 256
(E) 312

Number of ways of dividing 'n' identical objects into 'r' groups such that each group can contain any number of objects is given by

\(n+r-1_C_{r-1}\)

So,
The number of ways of dividing 5 apples among 4 children is

\(5+4-1_C_{4-1}\)

= \(8_{C_3}\)

= \(\frac{8!}{5!*3!}\)

= \(56\)

Answer:- A

Does this specifically include zero, as in zero apples in a basket?

If so, what formula would you use in the event that everyone had to have at least 1 apple? Can you merely reduce "n" by 1, since n cant be zero? Suppose this there the case with 20 apples and 4 baskets.

Yes, the above formula includes zero.
The number of ways of distributing 'n' identical objects amongst 'r' groups such that each group gets at least 1 object is given by

\({n-1}_C_{r-1}\)

The number of ways of distributing 20 apples among 4 baskets such that each basket has at least 1 apple is

\({20-1}_C_{4-1}\) = \({19}_C_{3}\)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [6]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 5 apples (identical) be distributed among 4 child [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
lets try to solve it differently
if you have 5 apples A,A,A,A,A and you have to put three partition +,+,+

it can be AAA+AA+nothing+nothing
or
A+A+AA+A
or
nothing+AA+AAA+nothing

ultimately you are arranging 5 A and 3+

question becomes In how many different way you can arrange AAAAA+++

\(= \frac{8!}{(3!*5!)}\)=56
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [4]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
WE:Business Development (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 5 apples (identical) be distributed among 4 child [#permalink]
Kudos
The answer is A.
Here is how I found the answer
Suppose we have five letter A’s representing apples. Let us also use three *’s which will represent partitions (four) between the apples belonging to different children. We order the A’s and *’s as we like and interpret all A’s before the first * as being apples belonging to Kathy. Now if you, the different ways these As and *s can be arranged, you will notice that each arrangement corresponds to a specific distribution. There are 5 As and 3 *s. The number of ways you can arrange them is [8!/(3!5!)]
Generalised form for n = number of identical objects, and r = number of children is n+r-1Cr-1.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13391 [3]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 56
(B) 144
(C) 200
(D) 256
(E) 312

This questions can be solved by a property that's useful for calculating WHOLE NUMBER Solutions (All Non-Negative Solution)

Whole Solution of a linear Equation a+b+c+d+e+.... = n

where we have r variables (a, b, c, d, e)

is (n+r-1)C(r-1)

Here we have, a+b+c+d = 5

so Whole no. solution of the equation = (5+4-1)C(4-1) = 8C3 = 56

Answer: option A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [2]
Given Kudos: 230
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 590 Q46 V25
GMAT 4: 600 Q48 V25 (Online)
GMAT 5: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I have tried writing an explanation in a lucid way. Hope it helps someone.
Attachments

File comment: Graphical solution
In how many ways can 5 apples.png
In how many ways can 5 apples.png [ 115.64 KiB | Viewed 52274 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi camlan1990,

This question comes with a bit of a 'twist.' Since the apples are IDENTICAL, you have to be careful about duplicate 'options'...

For example:
Giving 1 apple to child A and 1 apple to child B

is the SAME as....

Giving 1 apple to child B and 1 apple to child A

Since those duplicate options are NOT supposed to be counted twice, the Combination Formula is necessary (the solutions by icefrog and ankuragarwal1301 showcase that math).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Kudos
kunal555 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 56
(B) 144
(C) 200
(D) 256
(E) 312

Number of ways of dividing 'n' identical objects into 'r' groups such that each group can contain any number of objects is given by

\(n+r-1_C_{r-1}\)

So,
The number of ways of dividing 5 apples among 4 children is

\(5+4-1_C_{4-1}\)

= \(8_{C_3}\)

= \(\frac{8!}{5!*3!}\)

= \(56\)

Answer:- A

Does this specifically include zero, as in zero apples in a basket?

If so, what formula would you use in the event that everyone had to have at least 1 apple? Can you merely reduce "n" by 1, since n cant be zero? Suppose this there the case with 20 apples and 4 baskets.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM