GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 18:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

In isoceles triangle MNP, MN=MP and NP=6. Which of the following could

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-03-2015
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
In isoceles triangle MNP, MN=MP and NP=6. Which of the following could  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 20:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:14) correct 30% (01:11) wrong based on 138 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In isoceles triangle MNP, MN=MP and NP=6. Which of the following could be the length of side MN?

I. 2
II. 6
III. 12

A) II only
B) III only
C) I and II only
D) II and III only
E) I,II, and III

I have marked answer as 'B' considering we have to check the triangle rules for Isosceles. But the OA is 'D', Isn't II true for an equilateral triangle or should I say doesn't II make the isosceles triangle an equilateral? Do we have to even test this?

On the Kudos Spree.

If you like my post/comment please appreciate with kudos :)

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: In isoceles triangle MNP, MN=MP and NP=6. Which of the following could  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 21:13
Hi Pretz,

While this might seem like a 'nitpick' issue, an Isosceles triangle has 2 (or more) equal sides, so a triangle with sides of 6, 6 and 6 DOES fall under the technical definition of Isosceles. You're not likely to see an Official GMAT question worded the way this prompt is written though. It would likely state:

"In triangle MNP, MN=MP and NP=6....."

In this phrasing, you know that 2 of the sides are equal, but the third side MIGHT also equal the other two. While the GMAT is designed to test the thoroughness of your thinking, it's NOT designed to try to trick you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Math Expert
V
Re: In isoceles triangle MNP, MN=MP and NP=6. Which of the following could  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 00:39
Pretz wrote:
In isoceles triangle MNP, MN=MP and NP=6. Which of the following could be the length of side MN?

I. 2
II. 6
III. 12

A) II only
B) III only
C) I and II only
D) II and III only
E) I,II, and III

I have marked answer as 'B' considering we have to check the triangle rules for Isosceles. But the OA is 'D', Isn't II true for an equilateral triangle or should I say doesn't II make the isosceles triangle an equilateral? Do we have to even test this?

hi pretz

an equilateral triangle is a type of an isosceles triangle in the similar way as a square is a type of rectangle..
so you will require to consider equilateral triangle also as an isosceles triangle

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 10:37
Why can it not be 2 also??? You can make the base as long or short as you want by in/decreasing the angle of the two equal sides right?
PS Forum Moderator
D
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 10:48
Hermes wrote:
Why can it not be 2 also??? You can make the base as long or short as you want by in/decreasing the angle of the two equal sides right?

Hi Hermes

if side MN=2 then MP=2 as it is an isosceles triangle. in this case sum of two sides will not be greater than third side i.e. 2+2<6 which is not possible.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In isoceles triangle MNP, MN=MP and NP=6. Which of the following could &nbs [#permalink] 06 Jan 2018, 10:48

In isoceles triangle MNP, MN=MP and NP=6. Which of the following could

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap