GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 08:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Leadership in Admissions

January 23, 2019

January 23, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Learn how to portray yourself as a leader in your MBA applications when you download this free guide!
  • No Stone Unturned: Your 2019/2020 MBA Application Starts Now!

January 24, 2019

January 24, 2019

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Planning to apply to business school in 2019 or 2020? It is not too early to start planning! By taking action now, you can dramatically improve your chances of gaining admission to a top MBA program.

In it to win it - Interact with ISB R1 admit

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In it to win it - Interact with ISB R1 admit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 21:27

ISB R1 Admit(with scholarship) is Here to Answer YOUR Questions!

One of our forum members, theseekingsoul recently got accepted at ISB in Round 1 with scholarship. He accepted our invitation to interact with the new applicants, share his insights about the application process, and answer the queries of applicants.

If you have any questions about the application process of ISB, now is your chance to get them clarified by posting your questions here in this topic. theseekingsoul has already shared his learnings here. For follow up communication, we have a live chat with him on Sunday, Jan 6th, 9 PM IST in our chat room.

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

GMATClub School Ambassador

Live Decision Tracker | Interview Debriefs

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In it to win it - Interact with ISB R1 admit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 10:13
Transcript from the live chat session with theseekingsoul

Would you mind telling us a little bit about your professional background, post-MBA goals, and reasons for choosing ISB?

I have a B.Tech. from Thapar University Patiala. Then on, I have a diverse work-ex of 7 years that spans across management consulting, entrepreneurship, and the Government sector.

How to approach if adcom asks if we have applied to multiple colleges?

Best is to tell them the truth. However, you should have your reasons ready as to why you are applying to these colleges, and which one you would choose if selected in multiple ones. Reasons should be in sync with your profile and future aspirations.

Can you please a little about your GMAT profile?

750 as stated on his profile

I am not sure whether its the right question, what is the possibility of getting a seat in upcoming R3 with 710?

There are a lot of people who have converted ISB with a similar score. It would depend not just on the GMAT score, but on your over profile, and how you are able to get it across.

Can you brief us a little about your GMAT preparation?

I have a natural inclination towards aptitude tests and had cleared CAT earlier, getting a call from IIM-B. However, did not join due to personal reasons. For GMAT, my approach was to strengthen the basics, and not give too much importance to short-cuts. Regularly giving mocks was something I did.

How was your interview experience at ISB?

It was an amazing experience! ISB interviews are generally very cordial, and they want to get your best out. The interview mostly revolved around getting me know better as a person, my professional experiences - and how they have shaped me. They delved deep into what I actually did, my plans for the future, and how ISB would help. It was very elaborate.

Can you tell how much hours you prepared for the GMAT? Which books/courses/tests you took?

Since I was very busy with my professional commitments, it was difficult to take time out. However, I feel consistency is the key. I took out around 1.5 hours on most weekdays, and 4-6 hours on weekends. This was for almost 4 months. I referred Manhattan, Princeton review, OG. My advice is to not clutter yourself with too much material.

I am a B.tech. I have 8yrs experience in IT sector but I have taken a break from work for almost 1yr now. Will the break become a problem?

Not as long as you can give a reasonable justification. Don’t bother about it at all.

ISB has over the time increased its focus on "Diversity", for Engineers, who make up the major chunk of applying population. How do you suggest can anyone differentiate his/herself from the rest of the applicants, considering that Indian companies do not offer much space for employees to go beyond their specific roles at work(this happens especially at Public Sector Companies)

This is where creatively portraying your work-ex comes into the picture. You need to take out some real time to reflect on your profile, identify your unique strengths, and portray them concisely in the application. In addition to professional experience, you can use personal/social examples also that many people forget to consider.

Does social service/NGO have a good impact on the profile?

It isn’t a deal maker or breaker. But yes, one of the positive things if you can showcase how it shaped you as a person, or what it means to you.

Approximately how much time did you spend on your essays and any do’s and dont’s you suggest?

It took about 15 days of intense work, but I had been thinking about my profile since the time I began the GMAT prep.
Do’s: Be your true self. Make the essays coherent with your entire profile. Shre it with your close friends or family to see if it reflects you or is it getting too general.

Don’ts: Don't try to fit yourself into a candidate that you think the school would like. Resist from setting post-MBA goals for which you have no base whatsoever.
I am providing guidance to aspirants for admissions consultancy in association with PREPMINDS. You can get in touch with them for the same.

Do you suggest any good NGO to join?

There isn’t a good or bad NGO. It is the work you do and why you do it that matters.

Can you tell us about your scholarship? Did you need to go through separate interviews for that?

No separate interviews for a Merit scholarship.

Can you tell us who did you chose as your recommenders?

I chose my direct supervisor as my recommender. Though it’s best if you do, schools understand reasons as to why some people may not. It’s best to choose somebody who can talk elaborately about you instead of choosing somebody too high up the rank but no knowledge about your contribution.

Have you decided on matriculating at ISB?

ISB is a great place and I am really looking forward to matriculating at ISB.

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

GMATClub School Ambassador

Live Decision Tracker | Interview Debriefs

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In it to win it - Interact with ISB R1 admit &nbs [#permalink] 07 Jan 2019, 10:13

In it to win it - Interact with ISB R1 admit

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap