GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2019, 23:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In it to win it - Interact with Wharton R1 admit

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
In it to win it - Interact with Wharton R1 admit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2018, 05:02

Wharton R1 Admit is Here to Answer YOUR Questions!

One of our forum members, cnweke recently got accepted at Wharton in Round 1. He accepted our invitation to interact with the new applicants, share his insights about the application process, and answer the queries of applicants.

If you have any questions about the application process of Wharton, now is your chance to get them clarified by posting your questions here in this topic. We have a live chat with cnweke on Friday, Jan 4th, 10 PM IST in our chat room.

Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
In it to win it - Interact with Wharton R1 admit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 11:37

Transcript from today's Live chat session with cnweke

Hi everyone, I’m a R1 Wharton admit and will be happy to share my experience. A bit about myself – I’m an engineer in the energy sector with 7years experience. I was also admitted to Kellogg, Duke, Johnson, and HEC (the last 3 from last year). I’m from the UK, African originally.

what do you believe was the most helpful or imp thing in your profile which led to your selection in Wharton?

I’d say my international experience and a concrete post-MBA plan. Lived and studied in different continents, speak different languages. Throughout the application, I stressed these two things. I also think the GMAT matters.

Would you mind telling us a little bit about your post-MBA goals and the reasons for choosing Wharton? (OR) What were your post MBA goals and on what basis you shortlisted the schools?

Post MBA plan is 2-fold - go back to the energy industry in a regional leadership role but in the longer term - entrepreneurship

can you share your GMAT score?

720 as listed on cnweke’s profile

Why Wharton?

The major reason, apart from the excellent executive education and the fact that it’s an M7, is that I have family in Pennsylvania. This would make this easier for me. Also the fact that I want to do my MBA in a city.

Executive education? Did you apply for the 2-yr program or 1-yr program?

By executive education - I mean the school curriculum focuses on developing executives eg. 1 on 1 executive coaching, communication classes and generally the fact that it’s student-led. Lots of leadership fellowship etc.

Got it. Did you talk about the BEES major and Kleiman center in your essays? Also, how did you mention you’ll contribute? (if you do not mind sharing)

I spoke briefly about the specific major that I am interested. But I didn’t write about the centers. As for contribution, I wrote about clubs and how I can use my present experience to grow specific clubs e.g. Europa etc

Wanted to learn more about the admission interview with Wharton. Is it a Q&A format, or more conversational where you are allowed to narrate your story? Further, I’m assuming that you must have prepared for the interview based on information obtained from various sources (or maybe with help of MBA consultants. Despite preparing for the interview, were there any specific moments from the interview that made you feel like you were not completely prepared for "this kind of a question/moment"? Were there any surprises? If so, would like to know what it/they was/were.

The interview is the team-based format. About 5-6 ppl in a team and discuss a topic. In our case, we were 5 to come up with a plan for 3-day retreat. I’d say, choose your role and stick to it. Be friendly, take notes, mention team members by name and finally memorize your pitch (i think I was the only one in my team that did memorize my pitch. I got the chance to share my story during the 1-2-1 in the interview (10mins) why I chose Wharton, my career plans and other things. There were no surprises if you know your role and aware of the team discussion you should be fine. I didn’t use a consultant but I spoke with admissions directors and found out that they were really interested in my international experience..so I focused on it.

I’m curious what you came up with for the 3-day retreat plan in the group discussion

We chose an international location around the US to help the community and meet alumni.

Further to your response, how did you connect with the admission directors? Was it via an offline event or e-mail/Skype chat? This question may be a little naive, but are admission directors for several B Schools accessible through the website?

I connected with admissions directors for different schools (Duke, Cornell, Darden, Haas, and stern) when they came for an event in London.

I also see you have an admit from Fuqua Class of 2020. Did you apply to Fuqua last year and decided to pass?

Yes. I got Fuqua, Cornell, and Kellogg but personal circumstances made me postpone. This is why I think GMAT is important because I applied with a 670 and after getting admitted wrote the admissions office and got $$ for Duke and Cornell.

How much of a role do you feel your extra-curricular’s played (to get you an interview call)?

First of all, I was aware that as an engineer the major doubt would be my social life. So, I made sure my extracurricular activities were well rounded i.e. professional, sports, travels etc. And I also asked my recommenders to mention my out-of-work life.

Also, does scale of extra-curriculars matter? For example, leading 5 people vs leading 75 people, or spending time on a local cause vs spending time with a renowned non-profit? I mean, how much of a difference does it make to a strong academic profile?

I’m not really sure because in my case I had a mixture, some were as small as 15ppl while others were over 1000. Don’t really think it makes much difference. If you have a good GMAT score and/or a strong undergraduate I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Can you tell us which component of your Wharton application you found the most challenging?

Good question - The essays, especially the second essay. I didn’t think I wrote a good essay hence the reason I prepared well for the interview. Another thing is a good CV. If you have MBA friends then they can help you with the CV.

One thing I did when I received the call was to connect with alumni via LinkedIn and ask questions about Wharton and things that are not on the website. This helped me a lot.

Such as? Resources related to post-MBA goals?

I asked what’s different between Wharton and pair schools? About the alumni activities? Post-MBA challenges - this was where I got to know more about the strength and connection of the alumni network. Specifics about the curriculum - knew that it is probably the most quant heavy school.

When we say "most quant heavy" what exactly does it mean? Does it mean that there are more quantitative analysis subjects to cover than non-quant ones?

According to the alumni, it means that even in subjects or courses that would not ordinarily involve quantitative, Wharton usually includes quant/analysis. Almost in all subjects. In fact, I used this point during my interview to justify why I think Wharton should push for the MBA to be a STEM MBA so that internationals would be able to get extended OPT

Did you go on campus for your interview? How was the campus visit experience?

I didn’t do the campus interview. I had my interview in London.

The 2 essays that you wrote: How did they differ from one another? Were there specific questions you had to answer in each? I ask because till now I have only heard of 1 essay - the application essay where you narrate your story, short/long term goals, why MBA and Why Wharton.

Essay 1 - What do you hope to gain professionally from the Wharton MBA? (500 words)
Essay 2 - Describe an impactful experience or accomplishment that is not reflected elsewhere in your application. How will you use what you learned through that experience to contribute to the Wharton community? (500 words)

Can you tell us who did you choose to write your recommendations?

This is a very good question, I should have mentioned earlier. I chose people who I worked directly with and who could speak personally about me. One of my recommenders was my former direct supervisor and the other one was a senior colleague. I am of the opinion that title doesn’t matter because I once chose the MD and got dinged.

We recently got to know that some applicants train their recommenders on how to write the recommendation. For example: coming up with a few situations that the recommenders could talk about etc. Did you work with your recommenders on how to write the recommendation?

Yes, I’d advise you worked with your recommenders. Like I mention earlier, I knew the concerns the adcom may have about me so I worked with my recommenders to address them.

Have you decided on matriculating at Wharton? Did you get any scholarship?

I am yet to decide about Wharton, but I’m 90% sure, still need to discuss with my employer. I didn’t get any scholarship but the school has been helpful with external scholarships.

Ones last question (to end it with smiles) how does it feel to get a Wharton admit and knowing that you’d a student there now?

Hahaha...it’s like a dream come true, honestly. I have already started thinking about how I’d spend my time there, start-up ideas etc. Even friends couldn’t believe it. I’m very happy about the admission

cnweke says Guys, please feel free to write me. I’d be more than happy to help with anything about the application, this community has helped me a lot so I can only give back.
In it to win it - Interact with Wharton R1 admit   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2019, 11:37

In it to win it - Interact with Wharton R1 admit

new topic post reply Update application status