GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 33
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Aug 2019, 23:17
7
42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:50) correct 45% (01:55) wrong based on 2301 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree

(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years.

(C) Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.

(D) In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.

(E) For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.


Edit: Similar question HERE


Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Attachment:
19720423_1092057184229606_498145597_o.png
19720423_1092057184229606_498145597_o.png [ 566.69 KiB | Viewed 1928 times ]

Originally posted by scorpio7 on 14 Jun 2009, 19:09.
Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Aug 2019, 23:17, edited 4 times in total.
Edited the question.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 162
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2009, 03:33
2
B is the only one thats making a litte(though not complete) sense here...A better option would be that the number of people who actully earn a degree is lower...Even though the enrollments are higher...I'll choose B...
_________________
Choose Life
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 139
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2009, 05:07
1
1
By POE, I am left with option 'B'.

Conclusion is that the no. of Kravonians entering the job market with a college degree, would be higher than it was over the last years. We need to find a statement that weakens it.

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree. Irrelevant.
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries. Comparison with other countries is irrelevant .
D. In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees. It supports the conclusion.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available. Irrelevant
_________________
"Always....Read between the lines"
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Posts: 45
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2012, 00:04
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Premise: Avg. salary for college grad jobs > Avg. salary for other jobs
No. of ppl enrolling in college has been increasing steadily.
Conclusion: therefore the no. of ppl who have a college degree will be greater than that of prev. years
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree. Irrelevant.
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years. Seems correct. If the avg. no. of years a student remains in college increases, then the no. of college grad taking jobs may not increase.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries. Irrelevant. We are not bothered about other countries.
D. In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.Strengthens the argument. The employers want more ppl with coll. degrees. The number of college students is also increasing.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.Irrelevant.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 150
Location: Poland
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2013, 03:09
3
scorpio7, you should have specified the source of this question: GMAT Prep.
Guys, please explain to me what is your point in writing posts like "+1 B"? Don't we have the counter for that? Now we have 2 pages of litter and maybe a few valuable responses somewhere inbetween. Mods, I kindly please tag the thread and clean it up a little, GMAT Prep problems deserve the highest attention!



scorpio7 wrote:
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?


Graduates earn more than Not-graduates. More and more people go to college.
Conclusion: Therefore, there will eventually be more graduates entering the job market than in the past.

To weaken this conclusion, we need to find a reason why the graduates would not enter (or enter at a lowered rate) the job market.

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree
The distinction between single and double majors is out of scope.
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
This is the OA. Yet, I am not in love with it, for the AC reads that "the average number of years" has been extended, while the argument reads that the number of graduates entering the market "will eventually be significantly higher". No matter how the college period has been extended, it cannot last forever, thus the graduates will eventually enter the market in significantly increased number. Please have your say on that.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
Both the percentage and the comparison are irrelevant.
D. In recent years, empoyers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
This was my answer. I've conjectured that the increased number of enrollments is a result of higher requirements for the current working force. The graduates would then not enter the job market as they would not have left it at all. True, this is based on the assumption that the employers demand that the workers go to college. However, this assumption seemed to me just to be drawn on this AC, so I've fallen into it. Please discuss.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.
This does not influence the fact that the new graduates will be entering the job market.


I bumped on this question in my mock test and marked it incorrectly. After longer consideration I am still not convinced with the OA. Experts, I would be glad to hear your explanation of this problem. :)
_________________
If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 283
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 05:50
3
scorpio7 wrote:
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventuallty be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
D. In recent years, empoyers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia hva ehad difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.



I think this a typical GMAT entry - exit problem.
The argument discusses the " entry point" and concludes about the " exit point".
That is the logical gap in the argument.

The argument assumes that since more people are joining college , so SIGNFICANTLY more people with degrees will be available for jobs.
In real world that is safe to assume that more people may be available but how can we say that the change will be SIGNIFICANT. Will all the guys finish college, will some leave the college, will most fail ????

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree
This comparison is not relevant to the argument.

B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
This is exactly what we discussed above. More guys are entering college but they will not be available soon and they are taking longer to finish degrees.So we must not expect a significant change in the availability of graduates

C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
Such comparison is besides the argument. We are just interested in the particular country.

D. In recent years, empoyers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
This gives a reason why more people are going to college but does not answer the question of availability. It answers the" entry point" but not the "exit point."

E. For many years, employers in Kravonia hva ehad difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.
So what? We already know that more guys are joining colllege and such information about past is redundant.




I DONOT MIND KUDOS :-D :-D :-D
_________________
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Sep 2017
Posts: 114
Location: United States
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 17:54
1
Hi experts:

The conclusion states that the job market for who have at least a college degree will **eventually** increase significantly.

I rejected B because it says that students stay in college longer than before until graduation. How does this weaken the conclusion? The students are still going to graduate. It does not say that the students never graduate. Hence, there will be an increased number of students with college degree and by definition the number of students with a college degree will be higher than it has been over the past few years (the conclusion).

I chose D because my thought process was as such:
Employers have been requiring college degrees for jobs performed by workers without these degrees; hence, these workers will either go back to college and earn the degree, or current degree holders will do this job. This doesn't mean that the # of students will be higher. I can see the viewpoint that if the current non-degree people go and get degrees for these jobs, then they will add to the population of degree-holders; thus, this could be viewed as a strengthening choice, but still seemed better than B.

Any advice on how to tackle issues like this on test day?
_________________
If this helped, please give kudos!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2857
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 11:18
3
strivingFor800 wrote:
Hi experts:

The conclusion states that the job market for who have at least a college degree will **eventually** increase significantly.

I rejected B because it says that students stay in college longer than before until graduation. How does this weaken the conclusion? The students are still going to graduate. It does not say that the students never graduate. Hence, there will be an increased number of students with college degree and by definition the number of students with a college degree will be higher than it has been over the past few years (the conclusion).

I chose D because my thought process was as such:
Employers have been requiring college degrees for jobs performed by workers without these degrees; hence, these workers will either go back to college and earn the degree, or current degree holders will do this job. This doesn't mean that the # of students will be higher. I can see the viewpoint that if the current non-degree people go and get degrees for these jobs, then they will add to the population of degree-holders; thus, this could be viewed as a strengthening choice, but still seemed better than B.

Any advice on how to tackle issues like this on test day?

The passage does NOT say that the number of students ENTERING college has increased. It just says that the number ENROLLED as been increasing.

If the number ENTERING college remains constant while the average number of years enrolled increases (choice B), then the total number ENROLLED any given year will increase. In other words, if B is true, then the number of students ENROLLED can increase even if the number entering each year remains the same. If the number entering does not increase, then the number who graduate with a college degree will not increase.

(B) definitely weakens the argument.

I hope this helps!
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Apr 2018
Posts: 13
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 04:37
GMATNinja wrote:
strivingFor800 wrote:
Hi experts:

The conclusion states that the job market for who have at least a college degree will **eventually** increase significantly.

I rejected B because it says that students stay in college longer than before until graduation. How does this weaken the conclusion? The students are still going to graduate. It does not say that the students never graduate. Hence, there will be an increased number of students with college degree and by definition the number of students with a college degree will be higher than it has been over the past few years (the conclusion).

I chose D because my thought process was as such:
Employers have been requiring college degrees for jobs performed by workers without these degrees; hence, these workers will either go back to college and earn the degree, or current degree holders will do this job. This doesn't mean that the # of students will be higher. I can see the viewpoint that if the current non-degree people go and get degrees for these jobs, then they will add to the population of degree-holders; thus, this could be viewed as a strengthening choice, but still seemed better than B.

Any advice on how to tackle issues like this on test day?

The passage does NOT say that the number of students ENTERING college has increased. It just says that the number ENROLLED as been increasing.

If the number ENTERING college remains constant while the average number of years enrolled increases (choice B), then the total number ENROLLED any given year will increase. In other words, if B is true, then the number of students ENROLLED can increase even if the number entering each year remains the same. If the number entering does not increase, then the number who graduate with a college degree will not increase.

(B) definitely weakens the argument.

I hope this helps!




GMATNinja
Hi GMATNinja,

Although your explanations have always helped me a lot, I was not able to digest this one.
How is # of people Enrolling in a college is different from those entering the college.(unless they get rejected in an exam,which is out of scope here)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2857
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 13:03
4
pratik521992 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
strivingFor800 wrote:
Hi experts:

The conclusion states that the job market for who have at least a college degree will **eventually** increase significantly.

I rejected B because it says that students stay in college longer than before until graduation. How does this weaken the conclusion? The students are still going to graduate. It does not say that the students never graduate. Hence, there will be an increased number of students with college degree and by definition the number of students with a college degree will be higher than it has been over the past few years (the conclusion).

I chose D because my thought process was as such:
Employers have been requiring college degrees for jobs performed by workers without these degrees; hence, these workers will either go back to college and earn the degree, or current degree holders will do this job. This doesn't mean that the # of students will be higher. I can see the viewpoint that if the current non-degree people go and get degrees for these jobs, then they will add to the population of degree-holders; thus, this could be viewed as a strengthening choice, but still seemed better than B.

Any advice on how to tackle issues like this on test day?

The passage does NOT say that the number of students ENTERING college has increased. It just says that the number ENROLLED as been increasing.

If the number ENTERING college remains constant while the average number of years enrolled increases (choice B), then the total number ENROLLED any given year will increase. In other words, if B is true, then the number of students ENROLLED can increase even if the number entering each year remains the same. If the number entering does not increase, then the number who graduate with a college degree will not increase.

(B) definitely weakens the argument.

I hope this helps!


Hi GMATNinja,

Although your explanations have always helped me a lot, I was not able to digest this one.
How is # of people Enrolling in a college is different from those entering the college.(unless they get rejected in an exam,which is out of scope here)


I’m happy to follow up and clarify, pratik521992.

My point is not that the act of enrolling in college is different from the act of entering college. My point is that, for any given year, counting the number of students newly enrolled is quite different from counting the number of students who have already entered, and therefore remain enrolled.

Quote:
(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years.

Choice (B) clearly refers to students already enrolled and tells us that these students remain in college longer than in previous years. Absent any other new information, this means that the overall graduation rate is not going to increase significantly, because with each year that passes we will see fewer students, on average, reaching the end of their coursework.

If we were also told that graduation rates are rising, or that the rate of students entering Kravonian college is rising, then this wouldn’t be such a clear weakener. But we are given no other information. Because (B) changes a single variable — the amount of time existing students remain in school before graduating — it weakens the argument in a very targeted way.

I hope this is a helpful follow-up!
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Mar 2018
Posts: 246
CAT Tests
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 04:52
KarishmaB broall GMATNinjaTwo nightblade354
Can you please explain why OA A is out of scope?
If more people are enrolled because they are going for multi degree so no increase in the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree.
Since at least the qualification of a college degree is mentioned we can think of more than one degree.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jul 2018
Posts: 11
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 05:57
1
If in my explanation of a question I resort to the Poe technique, then somewhere there is some thing that I don't yet get about that question. Poe is a result of a process of analysis, usually one that leads to a contradiction. It is not the analysis itself.

Furthermore, it is hardly possible to eliminate an answer by labeling it irrelevant. How do we establish the relevance of an answer? If we do not disclose the basis for our judgment, then others cannot possibly evaluate our argument, save by saying it rests upon certain assumptions.

If I consider option A, then I can weigh its relevance by considering whether its meaning-content is damaging to the conclusion. If option A is a weakener, then its meaning-content would have to dispel a key assumption of the argument. Therefore we can reverse the content and ask, If Kravonian double-degree graduates earned significant more or significantly less, or as much as - would the conclusion be more plausible? If so, then option A is likely a weakener.

In this particular case, few perhaps were the people to go for option A. But still, it is technique that counts. My own naive intuition also says to instantly dismiss A, but in a real exam environment, option A would have been pitched right at my then-maximum difficulty tolerance. When facing an adaptive opponent, it becomes necessary to apply solid technical skill, or the analysis will suffer.

As they say in Amsterdam,
SUCCESS!

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree

(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years.

(C) Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.

(D) In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.

(E) For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.

aknine wrote:
By POE, I am left with option 'B'.

Conclusion is that the no. of Kravonians entering the job market with a college degree, would be higher than it was over the last years. We need to find a statement that weakens it.

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree. Irrelevant.
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries. Comparison with other countries is irrelevant .
D. In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees. It supports the conclusion.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available. Irrelevant

_________________
Courtesy of the GMAT Dojo, in Amsterdam
http://www.gmat.amsterdam
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 776
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 06:29
1
teaserbae and OmerPelman

Let's break the argument down:

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Background is in blue
Premise is in pink
Conclusion is in green

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

-- We have established that C - E are incorrect, so no need to review them in your case.

(A) Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree -- So we are talking about wages vs. college degrees. How does this weaken our conclusion that more qualified people will not enter the market? It doesn't. In the conclusion, it says "at least", so this implies more than one degree. Further, it does not help counter WHY qualified people will not enter the workforce. In addition, we are told that they are already in college, so they will graduate at some point, unless stated otherwise (which would be a weakener!).

(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years. -- Interesting. Our conclusion noted "in a few years" and our answer here says "several years". We are also told that students are going to be staying longer in school, thus pushing their graduation date back, thus reducing the number of students in the workforce. Based on the answers, this is by far the best one!


It seems both of you were caught up on the premise and not the conclusion. Use the conclusion to guide you to the correct answer.

-- Does this help?
_________________
D-Day: November 18th, 2017

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
LBS Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 646
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 06:33
nightblade354 wrote:
teaserbae and OmerPelman

(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years. -- [color=#00ff00]Interesting. Our conclusion noted "in a few years" and our answer here says "several years". We are also told that students are going to be staying longer in school, thus pushing their graduation date back, thus reducing the number of students in the workforce. Based on the answers, this is by far the best one!

-- Does this help?


I got this answer via process of elimination, however I am not that happy with it. I find the word play "in a few" / "several" a little to open for interpretation. :(

However, my complains aside, option B is the only one that weakens the statement.
_________________
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 776
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 06:37
Arro44 wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
teaserbae and OmerPelman

(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years. -- [color=#00ff00]Interesting. Our conclusion noted "in a few years" and our answer here says "several years". We are also told that students are going to be staying longer in school, thus pushing their graduation date back, thus reducing the number of students in the workforce. Based on the answers, this is by far the best one!

-- Does this help?


I got this answer via process of elimination, however I am not that happy with it. I find the word play "in a few" / "several" a little to open for interpretation. :(

However, my complains aside, option B is the only one that weakens the statement.


Arro44, my thoughts exactly. The ambiguity caused by using them as synonyms hurt the cause. The number will go up at some point, but to use two different words to state that made this far more difficult to explain than it should have been. Either way, the answer is truly the only one that weakens it.
_________________
D-Day: November 18th, 2017

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9704
Location: Pune, India
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 07:17
4
teaserbae wrote:
KarishmaB broall GMATNinjaTwo nightblade354
Can you please explain why OA A is out of scope?
If more people are enrolled because they are going for multi degree so no increase in the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree.
Since at least the qualification of a college degree is mentioned we can think of more than one degree.


Premises:
The average salary for jobs requiring a college degree is higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree.
Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily.

Conclusion:
The number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Note a few things here: The first sentence of the argument "average salary etc" is irrelevant to the argument. The argument could very well have omitted it and it would still be the same. It just gives a possible reason why more people are enrolling in college. The conclusion is that people who have college degrees will become significantly higher.

We need to weaken the argument.

(A) Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree

One college degree vs multiple degrees is certainly a promising premise but here is the problem - this option doesn't say that more people are enrolling for 2nd/3rd degrees or something like that. It says people with more degrees don't get more money. That has nothing to do with our argument. We are concerned about how many people are there who have at least one college degree - who gets more money who gets less is not relevant to the argument. Even if people with multiple degrees were getting much more money, we cannot assume that more people must be enrolling for multiple degrees. Hence, this option is irrelevant.

(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years.

More people have been enrolling in college, but on average the time they are spending in college is also increasing. If they keep spending more and more time as the years go by, it is unlikely that we will have "significantly higher" number entering the job market. More people will enrol year after year steadily but they will also keep spending more and more time there so the "significantly higher" number may not happen. The number of people entering job market with college degrees may also keep increasing steadily.

(C) Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.

Other countries' numbers are irrelevant.

(D) In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.

Again irrelevant. The demand for college degree workforce is increasing. It doesn't weaken the conclusion that there will be a significantly higher college educated workforce.

(E) For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.

Irrelevant. As discussed, what the job market wants is irrelevant to our argument.

Answer (B)
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 01 Nov 2017
Posts: 95
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.84
Reviews Badge
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 06:42
1
I think the key point here is "SIGNIFICANTLY higher". It is true even with answer B, the number of people entering the job market with at least the qualification of a college degree will increase, but instead steadily or subtly aka not sinfinificantly
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 626
Location: India
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 22:01
Very good question.

The conclusion is based on the past few years data that more students are enrolled. So the conclusion would be true if only more students are enrolling. . But if the increase in the number of enrolled students is because of students remaining enrolled for a longer and longer time, then the increase in students enrolled is not because of more students entering.

That is what B says. The increase in number enrolled is not because of more students entering but because of longer time students take to graduate.
_________________
Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha   [#permalink] 19 May 2019, 22:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne