It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 23:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 31

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2009, 19:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (01:02) correct 65% (01:15) wrong based on 1709 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree

(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years.

(C) Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.

(D) In recent years, empoyers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.

(E) For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 17 Oct 2017, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 31

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 1

Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2009, 03:33
This post received
KUDOS
B is the only one thats making a litte(though not complete) sense here...A better option would be that the number of people who actully earn a degree is lower...Even though the enrollments are higher...I'll choose B...

Choose Life

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 9

Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2009, 05:07
By POE, I am left with option 'B'.

Conclusion is that the no. of Kravonians entering the job market with a college degree, would be higher than it was over the last years. We need to find a statement that weakens it.

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree. Irrelevant.
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries. Comparison with other countries is irrelevant .
D. In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees. It supports the conclusion.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available. Irrelevant

"Always....Read between the lines"

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 9

17 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: SPG

Kudos [?]: 870 [17], given: 28

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2010, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

there are two types of assumptions: supporter and defender.

supporter: directly strengthens the conclusion.
All men like baseball games. Therefore, Jack likes baseball too.
supporter assumption: Jack is a man.

defender: protects the arguments by eliminating ideas that weaken the conclusion.
Jack is a lawyer and he is smart. Thus, studying law made Jack smart.
defender assumption: Jack was not smart before studying law

Conclusion: the average salary for all workers in Kravonia is likely to increase over the next four years
Possible reason of high pay: may be there are more jobs and less people who meet the requirement i.e. having a college degree.

C is also a defender assumption and is the right answer

another way to check assumption questions is to logically negate the answer and see if it weakens the conclusion.

Logical negative of C: the higher average salary for jobs requiring a college degree is due largely to a scarcity among the Kravonian workforce of people with a college degree.

the logical negative definitely weakens the conclusion and is the right answer

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Kudos [?]: 870 [17], given: 28

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2010, 11:52
I think the answer is B.

Conclusion: the average salary for all workers in Kravonia is likely to increase over the next four years.

The average will increase if the salary of individuals will increase and salary will increase only if they have high paying jobs. High paying jobs are possible only with college degree. Hence the assumption is - more people will be enrolled in college to get the degree.

OA please. Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: McCombs '14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2010, 05:05
scorpio7 wrote:
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventuallty be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
D. In recent years, empoyers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia hva ehad difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.

Conclusion : The number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will be high than earlier.
Premise:The average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree.

The no.of people who hold a college degree is high to earn a high.
To weaken the argument: the no.of people who hold a degree are high to procure low salary.

a) nothing mentioned about multiple degrees
b)the same thing specified in the stimulus
c)irrelavent
d)weakens the argument
e)doesnt weaken the argument.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 22:58
ykaiim wrote:
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been
higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Current enrollments in Kravonia’s colleges indicate that over the next four years the percentage of the Kravonian workforce with college degrees will increase dramatically. Therefore, the average salary for all workers in Kravonia is likely to increase over the next four years.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn more, on average, than do
Kravonians with only one college degree.
B. The percentage of Kravonians who attend college in order to earn higher salaries
is higher now than it was several years ago.
C. The higher average salary for jobs requiring a college degree is not due largely to
a scarcity among the Kravonian workforce of people with a college degree.
D. The average salary in Kravonia for jobs that do not require a college degree will
not increase over the next four years.
E. Few members of the Kravonian workforce earned their degrees in other countries.

By process of elimination i got rid of options A/B and E
Between C and D I could not choose an answer choice, so basically i am not convinced with any of the answer choices.
would appreciate if someone could help me out with this-MY Understanding
Conclusion-average salary for all workers would increase in the next four years.
Premise-over the next four years the percentage of the Kravonian workforce with college degrees will increase dramatically
Premise 2-the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree

now according to option C
The higher average salary for jo.bs requiring a college degree is not due largely toa scarcity among the Kravonian workforce of people with a college degree ....then how does adding more people with college degree to the workforce help in raising the average salary....?
Someone pls explain ....

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 23:09
C is saying that the author is assuming that the average salary for college graduates has been more for reasons other than their scarcity till now.
That is an assumption the author is making - if it were to be false, that is, if the larger salary was due to the fact that there was a scarcity of college graduated, then if more students have enrolled and will get degrees 4 years later, it might lead to enough graudates in the market and hence employers wouldnt have to pay more to get one!- Simple Demand - supply. In other words, if it is short supply of graduates in comparison to demand which is leading to them being paid higher, more graduates in market may lead to fillling of the demand gap and they might not be paid as highly.

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 13

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1454 [0], given: 2

Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2011, 10:45
B is the one that makes more sense for me. However, as i have already said, according to my source, oa is D.
please clarify.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1454 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2012, 18:43
Though among all B seems to be the closest possible one, i seriously suspect its wording.

Conclusion is more no. of people with one degree enter the market.
But B says, there are no drop outs in the colleges (more no of students remain in the courses before completing those courses), i.e., the average no. of people who completes the course is increasing. If this no. is increasing, obviously no. of people entering the market is also increasing which actually supports the argument.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 15

Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2012, 00:04
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Premise: Avg. salary for college grad jobs > Avg. salary for other jobs
No. of ppl enrolling in college has been increasing steadily.
Conclusion: therefore the no. of ppl who have a college degree will be greater than that of prev. years

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree. Irrelevant.
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years. Seems correct. If the avg. no. of years a student remains in college increases, then the no. of college grad taking jobs may not increase.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries. Irrelevant. We are not bothered about other countries.
D. In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.Strengthens the argument. The employers want more ppl with coll. degrees. The number of college students is also increasing.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.Irrelevant.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 67

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2013, 03:09
scorpio7, you should have specified the source of this question: GMAT Prep.
Guys, please explain to me what is your point in writing posts like "+1 B"? Don't we have the counter for that? Now we have 2 pages of litter and maybe a few valuable responses somewhere inbetween. Mods, I kindly please tag the thread and clean it up a little, GMAT Prep problems deserve the highest attention!

scorpio7 wrote:

Graduates earn more than Not-graduates. More and more people go to college.
Conclusion: Therefore, there will eventually be more graduates entering the job market than in the past.

To weaken this conclusion, we need to find a reason why the graduates would not enter (or enter at a lowered rate) the job market.

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree
The distinction between single and double majors is out of scope.
This is the OA. Yet, I am not in love with it, for the AC reads that "the average number of years" has been extended, while the argument reads that the number of graduates entering the market "will eventually be significantly higher". No matter how the college period has been extended, it cannot last forever, thus the graduates will eventually enter the market in significantly increased number. Please have your say on that.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
Both the percentage and the comparison are irrelevant.
D. In recent years, empoyers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
This was my answer. I've conjectured that the increased number of enrollments is a result of higher requirements for the current working force. The graduates would then not enter the job market as they would not have left it at all. True, this is based on the assumption that the employers demand that the workers go to college. However, this assumption seemed to me just to be drawn on this AC, so I've fallen into it. Please discuss.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.
This does not influence the fact that the new graduates will be entering the job market.

I bumped on this question in my mock test and marked it incorrectly. After longer consideration I am still not convinced with the OA. Experts, I would be glad to hear your explanation of this problem. :)

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 67

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 8

GPA: 3.95
WE: Supply Chain Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2013, 05:30
I will go with B.

If they stay in college longer, they will enter job late..

Cheers!

+1 Kudos if you like my post! :-D

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 24

WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 12:19
ankurgupta03 wrote:
Why not D?
On negating D, we get that the average salary of the non degree requiring jobs will increase. This makes the argument fall apart...

Upon negating choice D actually strengthens the conclusion rather than weakening. If the average salaries of non degree requiring jobs increase too, then they would add to the total average salaries of all jobs in Karvonia. Hence choice D could not be an assumption.

Hope I made some sense.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Pay attention to every detail"

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 24

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 03:02
HumptyDumpty wrote:
scorpio7, you should have specified the source of this question: GMAT Prep.
Guys, please explain to me what is your point in writing posts like "+1 B"? Don't we have the counter for that? Now we have 2 pages of litter and maybe a few valuable responses somewhere inbetween. Mods, I kindly please tag the thread and clean it up a little, GMAT Prep problems deserve the highest attention!

scorpio7 wrote:

Graduates earn more than Not-graduates. More and more people go to college.
Conclusion: Therefore, there will eventually be more graduates entering the job market than in the past.

To weaken this conclusion, we need to find a reason why the graduates would not enter (or enter at a lowered rate) the job market.

The distinction between single and double majors is out of scope.
This is the OA. Yet, I am not in love with it, for the AC reads that "the average number of years" has been extended, while the argument reads that the number of graduates entering the market "will eventually be significantly higher". No matter how the college period has been extended, it cannot last forever, thus the graduates will eventually enter the market in significantly increased number. Please have your say on that.
Both the percentage and the comparison are irrelevant.
This was my answer. I've conjectured that the increased number of enrollments is a result of higher requirements for the current working force. The graduates would then not enter the job market as they would not have left it at all. True, this is based on the assumption that the employers demand that the workers go to college. However, this assumption seemed to me just to be drawn on this AC, so I've fallen into it. Please discuss.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.
This does not influence the fact that the new graduates will be entering the job market.

I bumped on this question in my mock test and marked it incorrectly. After longer consideration I am still not convinced with the OA. Experts, I would be glad to hear your explanation of this problem. :)

I have the exact same view about this option. The word eventually is a deal breaker. I hope I don't get such questions in actual GMAT

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 46

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 81

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2015, 06:09
E. Few members of the Kravonian workforce earned their degrees in other countries.

Negating E - More members of the Kravonian workforce earned their degrees in other countries.

doesn't this weaken the argument that " Current enrollments in Kravonia’s colleges
indicate that over the next four years the percentage of the Kravonian workforce with college
degrees will increase dramatically" ?

Also C talks about the salary of degree holders only..
whereas the conclusion is about all the workers of Kravonia as whole..

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 81

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 05:50
scorpio7 wrote:
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventuallty be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

E. For many years, employers in Kravonia hva ehad difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.

I think this a typical GMAT entry - exit problem.
The argument discusses the " entry point" and concludes about the " exit point".
That is the logical gap in the argument.

The argument assumes that since more people are joining college , so SIGNFICANTLY more people with degrees will be available for jobs.
In real world that is safe to assume that more people may be available but how can we say that the change will be SIGNIFICANT. Will all the guys finish college, will some leave the college, will most fail ????

This comparison is not relevant to the argument.

This is exactly what we discussed above. More guys are entering college but they will not be available soon and they are taking longer to finish degrees.So we must not expect a significant change in the availability of graduates

Such comparison is besides the argument. We are just interested in the particular country.

This gives a reason why more people are going to college but does not answer the question of availability. It answers the" entry point" but not the "exit point."

So what? We already know that more guys are joining colllege and such information about past is redundant.

I DONOT MIND KUDOS :-D :-D :-D

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 403

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 405 [0], given: 45

WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 10:09
Mixed between B and D. I chose D, but now I agree with the lot, B for me. "D" is too ambiguous. I mean, if he or she will get a job after they graduate, then they will go to school. And yet, if jobs were done "successfully" without a college degree then what value does school provide? I'm starting to see now this is poor reasoning, circular reasoning. It's best to go with B.

Kr,
Mejia

Kudos [?]: 405 [0], given: 45

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 22:17
Answer is C

Understanding the argument:

Kravonians either have a degree or don't
Jobs for degree fells is higher than jobs for non degree fellas
There are a lot of fellas compared to previous years in college in Kravonia.

Joey (I'm a F.R.I.E.N.D.S fan too) logic says things are going to increase.

Question: What should be the ideal world where this would happen?
1. Companies continue to higher people with degree, preferably over non degrees
2. There is an unending demand of fellas with degrees.
3. All other salaries either remain same or don't decrease, while the newer fellas continue to make more money, thereby increasing the minima of the range conisdered for calculating the average.

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree. So? What if the demand for degree fellas ceases. What if we move towards an economy more driven by man efforts rather than brain effort.
B. The percentage of Kravonians who attend college in order to earn higher salaries is higher now than it was several years ago. What if less demand
C. The higher average salary for jobs requiring a college degree is not due largely to a scarcity among the Kravonian workforce of people with a college degree. violates the law of supply and demand and creates the much needed ideal scenario for the argument to stand. This is the answer
D. The average salary in Kravonia for jobs that do not require a college degree will not increase over the next four years. irrelevant
E. Few members of the Kravonian workforce earned their degrees in other countries totally irrelevant

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 165

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 27

Schools: SPJ PGPM"17
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 12:09
SIMPLE EXPLANATION

Answer is option 'B'.

Conclusion is that the no. of Kravonians entering the job market with a college degree, would be higher than it was over the last years. We need to find a statement that weakens it.

A. Irrelevant.
C. Comparison with other countries - irrelevant .
D. It supports the conclusion.
E. Irrelevant
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years. -- Correct

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 27

Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha   [#permalink] 19 May 2017, 12:09

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap