Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: In MGMAT, Chap 4, it mentioned that two sides of a linking [#permalink]
I'm confused about the same thing. MGMAT says that linking verbs are parallelism markers. According to the guide,
this is right: The bouquet of flowers was a gift of love
this is wrong: The bouquet of flowers was a giving of love
because bouquet is a plain noun, so gift (which is also a plain noun) is right and giving (which is gerund) is wrong

Following that logic, isn't the OP's sentence 'The boy is cute' wrong? Isn't 'Amy was cleaning the house' wrong? Are they really wrong or is there some other explanation? Please help!
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
In MGMAT, Chap 4, it mentioned that two sides of a linking [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AC07 wrote:
I'm confused about the same thing. MGMAT says that linking verbs are parallelism markers. According to the guide,
because bouquet is a plain noun, so gift (which is also a plain noun) is right and giving (which is gerund) is wrong

Following that logic, isn't the OP's sentence 'The boy is cute' wrong? Isn't 'Amy was cleaning the house' wrong? Are they really wrong or is there some other explanation? Please help!

Your analogy is not correct:

You need to maintain parallelism ONLY when a parallel structure exists. None of your examples requires a parallel structure.

"Cute" is an adjective. "He is good", "She is beautiful", "The boy is cute" are all correct sentences. There is no parallel structure in these sentences. You need to seek for parallelism ONLY when there is a requirement of two nouns on two sides of a linking verb.

The other example is even more away from analogy: "Amy was cleaning the room" - there is no linking verb at all. The verb in this sentence is "was cleaning" - no question of parallelism arise.

(Referring to the Manhattan example, please note that gerund is a verbal, which works as a noun - for maintaining parallelism, a noun is preferred with another noun rather than a gerund.)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
AC07 wrote:

Your analogy is not correct:

You need to maintain parallelism ONLY when a parallel structure exists. None of your examples requires a parallel structure.

"Cute" is an adjective. "He is good", "She is beautiful", "The boy is cute" are all correct sentences. There is no parallel structure in these sentences. You need to seek for parallelism ONLY when there is a requirement of two nouns on two sides of a linking verb.

The other example is even more away from analogy: "Amy was cleaning the room" - there is no linking verb at all. The verb in this sentence is "was cleaning" - no question of parallelism arise.

(Referring to the Manhattan example, please note that gerund is a verbal, which works as a noun - for maintaining parallelism, a noun is preferred with another noun rather than a gerund.)

I agree, the second example was out of place but I'm still not clear about the justification for the first one going by MGMAT's logic.
MGMAT says that linking verb is a parallelism marker. So, doesn't that mean that wherever there is a linking verb, there have to parallel structures?
If yes, then how do we justify:The bouquet of flowers [noun] was beautiful [adjective] - going by their other example where they say 'The bouquet of flowers was a giving of love' is wrong?

Why is it that the first one (The bouquet of flowers was beautiful) doesn't seek parallelism but the second one (The bouquet of flowers was a giving of love) does?

You said, "You need to seek for parallelism ONLY when there is a requirement of two nouns on two sides of a linking verb," so I guess my question is, how do we know that there is a requirement of two nouns on two sides of a linking verb? Because, as per MGMAT's logic, if there is a linking verb, there is a requirement of parallelism.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
A linking verb as far as it means, just links the subject with the rest of the clause. It doesn't do any thing more. I am not clear about what MGMAT wants to convey if we understand their perspective right.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm sorry, I missed a point by MGMAT - "The subject, bouquet, and the object, gift, have to be parallel."
So, I guess what they meant was that if there is a linking verb which connects a subject and an object, then the subject has to be parallel to the object. I guess that's what sayantanc2k meant too. Thank you!

I think, if we can put it in simple terms it is this: a linking verb is a parallelism marker only if there is also an object in the sentence. In that case, the subject and object have to be parallel.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts