GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 10:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and tal

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2014
Posts: 25
In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and tal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Oct 2018, 01:39
1
8
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:30) correct 37% (01:53) wrong based on 577 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and talent moving toward, internet startups over the last 5 years. The evidence of this explosion is that of the 100 or so internet startups currently active in the "New York Tech Meetup Group," 90 were founded over the course of the last 3 years.

The reasoning above assumes which one of the following?


(A) All of the 100 internet startups are commercially viable options.

(B) There were fewer than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years.

(C) There has not been a corresponding increase in the number of startups devoted to other sectors such as fashion, pharmaceutical, and semiconductors.

(D) The percentage of college graduates going into computer related fields has increased over the past 5 years.

(E) The 90 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of creative energy on the part of young new talent.

Originally posted by dqtuan9627 on 07 May 2014, 07:52.
Last edited by Bunuel on 11 Oct 2018, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8397
Location: Pune, India
Re: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2014, 19:42
3
2
shagalo wrote:
In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and talent moving toward, internet startups over the last 5 years. The evidence of this explosion is that of the 100 or so internet startups currently active in the "New York Tech Meetup Group," 90 were founded over the course of the last 3 years.

The reasoning above assumes which one of the following?

(A)All of the 100 internet startups are commercially viable options.

(B)There were fewer than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years.

(C)There has not been a corresponding increase in the number of startups devoted to other sectors such as fashion, pharmaceutical, and semiconductors.

(D)The percentage of college graduates going into computer related fields has increased over the past 5 years.

(E)The 90 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of creative energy on the part of young new talent.


can any one explain how to relate the correct answer to the passage.
thanks


You have to focus on the conclusion.
Conclusion: Over the last 5 years, there has been an explosion of interest in internet startups.

What does that mean? It means that the interest has increased manifold in the last 5 yrs (focus on the word 'increased')

How does the author support his argument? By saying that out of the current 100 internet startups, 90 were founded in the last 3 yrs i.e. most of them were found in the last 3 yrs.
What is the assumption? The assumption is that 98 internet startups did not shut shop in the last 5 yrs i.e. more than 90 companies did not close down. You need your assumption to be true for the conclusion to be true. If 98 companies had shut down in the past 5 yrs, we can't say that internet startups are becoming more popular.

Think about it: You say, "Popularity of pizza is increasing every day. Every week, one new pizza place opens up in my neighborhood."
What is your assumption? That 2 pizza places do not shut down everyday in your neighborhood. It that were the case, then we cannot say that pizza is becoming more popular.

Hence (B) is your assumption.

There is similar question here: in-north-america-there-has-been-an-explosion-of-public-132612.html?hilit=opera%20houses
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

General Discussion
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 721
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and tal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 08:14
the answer has to be B: There were fewer than 90 internet start ups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years.
the conclusion is :In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in internet startups over the last 5 years

we are basing our conclusion on the fact : of the 100 or so internet startups currently active in the "New York Tech Meetup Group," 90 were founded over the course of the last 3 years.
so while basing on this fact u are assuming at any time fewer than 90 start up were founded that were still active in last 5 year !!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2014
Posts: 21
Location: India
GPA: 3
WE: Business Development (Retail Banking)
Re: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2014, 19:54
Why is C wrong? The argument says the there is explosion of interest and the maximum talent is moving towards internet start ups & this is supported by premise that there is 100 or so active internet startups. But what if the similar or corresponding increase in startups is found in other fields as well.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 49
Re: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2014, 21:54
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shagalo wrote:
In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and talent moving toward, internet startups over the last 5 years. The evidence of this explosion is that of the 100 or so internet startups currently active in the "New York Tech Meetup Group," 90 were founded over the course of the last 3 years.

The reasoning above assumes which one of the following?

(A)All of the 100 internet startups are commercially viable options.

(B)There were fewer than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years.

(C)There has not been a corresponding increase in the number of startups devoted to other sectors such as fashion, pharmaceutical, and semiconductors.

(D)The percentage of college graduates going into computer related fields has increased over the past 5 years.

(E)The 90 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of creative energy on the part of young new talent.


can any one explain how to relate the correct answer to the passage.
thanks


You have to focus on the conclusion.
Conclusion: Over the last 5 years, there has been an explosion of interest in internet startups.

What does that mean? It means that the interest has increased manifold in the last 5 yrs (focus on the word 'increased')

How does the author support his argument? By saying that out of the current 100 internet startups, 90 were founded in the last 3 yrs i.e. most of them were found in the last 3 yrs.
What is the assumption? The assumption is that 98 internet startups did not shut shop in the last 5 yrs i.e. more than 90 companies did not close down. You need your assumption to be true for the conclusion to be true. If 98 companies had shut down in the past 5 yrs, we can't say that internet startups are becoming more popular.

Think about it: You say, "Popularity of pizza is increasing every day. Every week, one new pizza place opens up in my neighborhood."
What is your assumption? That 2 pizza places do not shut down everyday in your neighborhood. It that were the case, then we cannot say that pizza is becoming more popular.

Hence (B) is your assumption.

There is similar question here: in-north-america-there-has-been-an-explosion-of-public-132612.html?hilit=opera%20houses


thanks for taking the time to answer the question. BUT i still need to understand something.

so , the argument says that if 90 out of 100 started work in last 3 years, then the internet start up is explosion.
Answer B says "fewer than 90 ceased operation in the last 5 years) .. i agree with you that if there 98 were ceased in last 5 yeas then the conclusion will fell apart.
BUT
my confusion is … answer B says (fewer than 90 ) so i translated it to ( there is 89 internet startups ceased in last 5 years) this translation will not make sense with the passage.
the passage says : 90 started working in last 3 years
answer B says : 89 stopped working ……. then there 1 left ,,, this will support the conclusion that there is an " explosion "

can you explain please ?
thanks
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8397
Location: Pune, India
Re: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 20:40
shagalo wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shagalo wrote:
In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and talent moving toward, internet startups over the last 5 years. The evidence of this explosion is that of the 100 or so internet startups currently active in the "New York Tech Meetup Group," 90 were founded over the course of the last 3 years.

The reasoning above assumes which one of the following?

(A)All of the 100 internet startups are commercially viable options.

(B)There were fewer than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years.

(C)There has not been a corresponding increase in the number of startups devoted to other sectors such as fashion, pharmaceutical, and semiconductors.

(D)The percentage of college graduates going into computer related fields has increased over the past 5 years.

(E)The 90 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of creative energy on the part of young new talent.


can any one explain how to relate the correct answer to the passage.
thanks


You have to focus on the conclusion.
Conclusion: Over the last 5 years, there has been an explosion of interest in internet startups.

What does that mean? It means that the interest has increased manifold in the last 5 yrs (focus on the word 'increased')

How does the author support his argument? By saying that out of the current 100 internet startups, 90 were founded in the last 3 yrs i.e. most of them were found in the last 3 yrs.
What is the assumption? The assumption is that 98 internet startups did not shut shop in the last 5 yrs i.e. more than 90 companies did not close down. You need your assumption to be true for the conclusion to be true. If 98 companies had shut down in the past 5 yrs, we can't say that internet startups are becoming more popular.

Think about it: You say, "Popularity of pizza is increasing every day. Every week, one new pizza place opens up in my neighborhood."
What is your assumption? That 2 pizza places do not shut down everyday in your neighborhood. It that were the case, then we cannot say that pizza is becoming more popular.

Hence (B) is your assumption.

There is similar question here: in-north-america-there-has-been-an-explosion-of-public-132612.html?hilit=opera%20houses


thanks for taking the time to answer the question. BUT i still need to understand something.

so , the argument says that if 90 out of 100 started work in last 3 years, then the internet start up is explosion.
Answer B says "fewer than 90 ceased operation in the last 5 years) .. i agree with you that if there 98 were ceased in last 5 yeas then the conclusion will fell apart.
BUT
my confusion is … answer B says (fewer than 90 ) so i translated it to ( there is 89 internet startups ceased in last 5 years) this translation will not make sense with the passage.
the passage says : 90 started working in last 3 years
answer B says : 89 stopped working ……. then there 1 left ,,, this will support the conclusion that there is an " explosion "

can you explain please ?
thanks



Yes, I think you are thinking in the right direction but just losing your way midway. You are looking for an assumption. If you negate the assumption, the conclusion cannot hold.

(B)There were fewer than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years.
Negate (B) - There were more than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years.

If negated (B) holds, conclusion cannot hold.
More than 90 startups means, say 95 companies that had been active closed down in the last 5 yrs. Then we CANNOT say that the conclusion can be true.
Since negative (B) breaks the conclusion, option (B) is an assumption.

Here is a post on assumptions that you might find useful: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/03 ... sumptions/
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2657
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 13:02
1
shagalo wrote:
In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and talent moving toward, internet startups over the last 5 years. The evidence of this explosion is that of the 100 or so internet startups currently active in the "New York Tech Meetup Group," 90 were founded over the course of the last 3 years.

The reasoning above assumes which one of the following?

(A)All of the 100 internet startups are commercially viable options.

(B)There were fewer than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years.

(C)There has not been a corresponding increase in the number of startups devoted to other sectors such as fashion, pharmaceutical, and semiconductors.

(D)The percentage of college graduates going into computer related fields has increased over the past 5 years.

(E)The 90 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of creative energy on the part of young new talent.


can any one explain how to relate the correct answer to the passage.
thanks



we have an "explosion" of startups.
it will be true only if in the last 5 years, fewer startups went out of business than those who entered the business.

A - viable or not, this is irrelevant.
B - aha, only one that is in the scope and looks like an assumption. negate this statement: there were more than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago, and that ceased operations during the last 5 years. this one destroys the conclusion that internet startups are more than before during the last 5 years. why 90? because we have 90 created within the last 3 years. if more than 90 went out of business within 5 years, but only 90 created, then for sure there is not an increase.
C - irrelevant
D - irrelevant
E - irrelevant.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2015
Posts: 52
Location: United States (MD)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge
Re: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and tal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 10:17
Here I point out my analysis:

Structure
Conc: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and talent moving toward, internet startups over the last 5 years.
Basis of Conc (P1): Evidence: 90 of 100 internet startups currently active in the "New York Tech Meetup Group" were founded over the course of the last 3 years.

Pre-thinking:
The argument is assuming that the number of startups founded at any time before the 5 years has not been >= than 90 (or in other words has been <90). If negated.. explosion of interest toward startups has been there long time ago.

Answer choice analysis
(A)All of the 100 internet startups are commercially viable options. OFS
The commercial viability of the startups is not in discussion.


(B)There were fewer than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years. Correct!
Aligned witth pre-thinking. If negated.. the conclusion is shattered because it means that there has been more interest on internet startups before.


(C)There has not been a corresponding increase in the number of startups devoted to other sectors such as fashion, pharmaceutical, and semiconductors. OFS.
Startups in other sectors is not in discussion. the argument is just concern with internet startups in NY.


(D)The percentage of college graduates going into computer related fields has increased over the past 5 years. OFS.
Argument not concerned with college graduates going to computed fields.


(E)The 90 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of creative energy on the part of young new talent. Irrelevant.
The way the 90 companies were established is not in discussion.


Hope the analysis help!

Rumi
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 3215
Premium Member
Re: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and tal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 01:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and tal &nbs [#permalink] 11 Oct 2018, 01:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and tal

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.