It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In one state, all cities and most towns have antismoking ordinances. A

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 243

Re: In one state, all cities and most towns have antismoking ordinances. A [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2014, 08:25
eybrj2 wrote:
In one state, all cities and most towns have antismoking ordinances. A petition entitled “Petition for Statewide Smoking Restriction” is being circulated to voters by campaign workers who ask only, “Do you want to sign a petition for statewide smoking restriction?” The petition advocates a state law banning smoking in most retail establishments and in government offices that are open to the public.

Which of the following circumstances would make the petition as circulated misleading to voters who understand the proposal as extending the local ordinances statewide?

A. Health costs associated with smoking cause health insurance premiums to rise for everyone and so affect nonsmokers.
B. In rural areas of the state, there are relatively few retail establishments and government offices that are open to the public.
C. The state law would supersede the local antismoking ordinances, which contain stronger bans than the state law does.
D. There is considerable sentiment among voters in most areas of the state for restriction of smoking.
E. The state law would not affect existing local ordinances banning smoking in places where the fire authorities have determined that smoking would constitute a fire hazard.

What circumstances would misled readers assuming that the petition if approved would make the whole city anti-smoking zone (or extend the purview of the anti-smoking law). "C" highlights the the voters' concern saying that the new law would supersede the existing one, leading to stronger bans.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 243

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 181 [3], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In one state, all cities and most towns have antismoking ordinances. A [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2014, 15:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
eybrj2 wrote:
In one state, all cities and most towns have antismoking ordinances. A petition entitled “Petition for Statewide Smoking Restriction” is being circulated to voters by campaign workers who ask only, “Do you want to sign a petition for statewide smoking restriction?” The petition advocates a state law banning smoking in most retail establishments and in government offices that are open to the public.

Which of the following circumstances would make the petition as circulated misleading to voters who understand the proposal as extending the local ordinances statewide?

A. Health costs associated with smoking cause health insurance premiums to rise for everyone and so affect nonsmokers.
B. In rural areas of the state, there are relatively few retail establishments and government offices that are open to the public.
C. The state law would supersede the local antismoking ordinances, which contain stronger bans than the state law does.
D. There is considerable sentiment among voters in most areas of the state for restriction of smoking.
E. The state law would not affect existing local ordinances banning smoking in places where the fire authorities have determined that smoking would constitute a fire hazard.

C. If local antismoking ordinances currently contains stronger bans than the state law does, signing for the petition will actually make the local banning smoking weaker, because local law is replaced by state law. Voters who sign for the petition will want to have stronger local banning smoking ordinances. So C, if exists, actually mislead the voters.

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 181 [3], given: 148

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 174

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2014, 02:24
This is a very good GMAT Prep question. Can experts please break the problem and explain the reasoning behind the question and procedure to find the correct answer?

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 174

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2015, 23:37
In one state, all cities and most towns have anti-smoking ordinances.
A petition entitled “Petition for Statewide Smoking Restriction” is being circulated to voters by campaign workers who ask only, “Do you want to sign a petition for statewide smoking restriction?”
The petition advocates a state law banning smoking in most retail establishments and in government offices that are open to the public.

C. The state law would supersede the local anti-smoking ordinances, which contain stronger bans than the state law does.

What would make the petition as circulated misleading to voters who understand the proposal as extending the local ordinances statewide ?

Think it like this. I am a voter and have been asked if i would like to increase/improve the law n order situation across state. I say yes. What do i expect?
I expect it to improve, not go down.
Lets look at options:
B Vs C:
Lets think that B is true.
If that is the case then though rural places that would come under the proposed law would be less compared to urban, there would be an overall increase in the area covered under the new law.
So in a way there is increase in so to me this doesn't mislead.
However C means that what i m voting for is not strong enough and that by replacing existing ordinance would compromise the current standard.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 606

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 03:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 10:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Top Contributor
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2016, 12:58
Top Contributor

Purpose of the petition : is to make smoking illegal in public offices.

Out of scope as we are not discussing insurance premiums

This petition still serves its purpose

This option makes the petition meaning less - Correct

This makes the petition relevant

This statement talks about a subset of the application of the petition. This is the next best answer.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 52

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 04:48
my understanding of the stimulus is not very clear.
Does the petition genuinely support statewide smoking restriction?Are the workers describing it accurately?
If yes how the voters can be misled?

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 52

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3518 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rulez161 wrote:
my understanding of the stimulus is not very clear.
Does the petition genuinely support statewide smoking restriction?Are the workers describing it accurately?
If yes how the voters can be misled?

Does the petition genuinely support statewide smoking restriction?
The petition is for restricting smoking in most retail establishments and in government offices that are open to the public.

Are the workers describing it accurately?
The workers ask ONLY the following question: “Do you want to sign a petition for statewide smoking restriction?” It is not clarified what is meant by "statewide smoking restriction", i.e, the scope of restricted places (retail establishments and government offices that are open to the public) is not clear in the campaign.

Therefore if the existing local laws are more stringent (i.e. smoking is banned in more places, in addition to retail establishments and government offices that are open to the public), then implementation of the state law would be misleading because it would supersede the local laws, thereby making the smoking norms more lenient.

Kudos [?]: 3518 [1], given: 22

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1063

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 19:24
such questions should be treated as special-type questions. In other words, the correct answer must answer what is being asked by the question.
Here, test takers have to use logic senses, common senses, and gmat skills (especially, identify question type).
The question seems to be a mixing question: logic, application, weaken, and assumption. (weaken and assumption can be combined into assumption)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1063

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 01:25
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 00:57
still don't know what's the OA
can some experts work on this question?

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: In one state, all cities and most towns have antismoking ordinances. A   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2017, 00:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

In one state, all cities and most towns have antismoking ordinances. A

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap