It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 17:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1182

Kudos [?]: 885 [0], given: 54

Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 21:57
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (01:19) correct 48% (01:02) wrong based on 87 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed injecting female deer during breeding season with 10 milligrams of a hormone that would suppress fertility. Critics have charged that the proposal poses health risks to people who might eat the meat of treated deer and thereby ingest unsafe quantities of the hormone. The biologist has responded to these critics by pointing out that humans can ingest up to 10 milligrams of the hormone a day without any adverse effects, and since no one would eat even one entire deer a day, the treatment would be safe.

The biologist’s response to critics of the proposal is based on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) People would be notified of the time when deer in their area were to be treated with the hormone.
(B) The hormone that would be injected into the deer is chemically similar to hormones used in human contraceptives.
(C) Hunting season for deer could be scheduled so that it would not coincide with breeding season.
(D) The hormone in question does not occur naturally in the female deer that would be injected.
(E) Most people do not consider deer meat to be part of their daily diet and eat it only on rare occasions.

Source: LSAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 885 [0], given: 54

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2009
Posts: 63

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 01:46
D
If she already had some the addition of the 2 would be above the 10

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

VP
VP
User avatar
G
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1070

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Re: In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 09:53
broall wrote:
In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed injecting female deer during breeding season with 10 milligrams of a hormone that would suppress fertility. Critics have charged that the proposal poses health risks to people who might eat the meat of treated deer and thereby ingest unsafe quantities of the hormone. The biologist has responded to these critics by pointing out that humans can ingest up to 10 milligrams of the hormone a day without any adverse effects, and since no one would eat even one entire deer a day, the treatment would be safe.

The biologist’s response to critics of the proposal is based on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) People would be notified of the time when deer in their area were to be treated with the hormone.
(B) The hormone that would be injected into the deer is chemically similar to hormones used in human contraceptives.
(C) Hunting season for deer could be scheduled so that it would not coincide with breeding season.
(D) The hormone in question does not occur naturally in the female deer that would be injected.
(E) Most people do not consider deer meat to be part of their daily diet and eat it only on rare occasions.

Source: LSAT


Imo B

The argument talks about the adverse effect of the hormones as we do not know what harm do these hormones cause to humans .The assumption will somehow relate the hormone used in deer to the to the harm they cause in humans .Then only we can conclude about the the hormone being safe for humans if it has any effects on humans .
B is the correct assumption.

_________________

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

CAT Tests
Re: In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 19:50
IMO E because if people consider it as a daily diet then it breaks the conclusion

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 20:40
Imo D

biologist is assuming currently that the only source of hormone for a human is through the injection.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Mar 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
CAT Tests
Re: In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 21:13
D is the answer IMO.
It would completely destroy the argument if negated.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 56

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Sep 2016
Posts: 137

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

Re: In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 22:50
arvind910619 wrote:
broall wrote:
In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed injecting female deer during breeding season with 10 milligrams of a hormone that would suppress fertility. Critics have charged that the proposal poses health risks to people who might eat the meat of treated deer and thereby ingest unsafe quantities of the hormone. The biologist has responded to these critics by pointing out that humans can ingest up to 10 milligrams of the hormone a day without any adverse effects, and since no one would eat even one entire deer a day, the treatment would be safe.

The biologist’s response to critics of the proposal is based on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) People would be notified of the time when deer in their area were to be treated with the hormone.
(B) The hormone that would be injected into the deer is chemically similar to hormones used in human contraceptives.
(C) Hunting season for deer could be scheduled so that it would not coincide with breeding season.
(D) The hormone in question does not occur naturally in the female deer that would be injected.
(E) Most people do not consider deer meat to be part of their daily diet and eat it only on rare occasions.

Source: LSAT


Imo B

The argument talks about the adverse effect of the hormones as we do not know what harm do these hormones cause to humans .The assumption will somehow relate the hormone used in deer to the to the harm they cause in humans .Then only we can conclude about the the hormone being safe for humans if it has any effects on humans .
B is the correct assumption.


I will try to explain option B

The argument states that human can ingest 10 milligrams of the hormones a day but option B says that hormone is similar to the one in contraceptive but doesn't mention the quantity. hence, i rejected the argument based on this.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Sep 2016
Posts: 137

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

Re: In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 22:55
Sanjeetgujrall wrote:
IMO E because if people consider it as a daily diet then it breaks the conclusion


I would like to explain option E -

If i say "Most of the people consider meat as a part of their daily diet and eat it occasionally" but we don't know about the quantity as one whole deer or a fraction of it.
hence, i rejected the Option E

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Aug 2017
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [5], given: 3

Concentration: International Business, Human Resources
Re: In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 10:13
5
This post received
KUDOS
D

The biologist assumes that the only source of the hormone is the injection.

Kudos [?]: 23 [5], given: 3

Re: In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2017, 10:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In order to control the deer population, a biologist has proposed

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.