Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 966 [121]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [42]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [9]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Send PM
Re: In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necess [#permalink]
Kudos
i will go wtih "A".
surface is the only one it can refer to. What else can "it" refer to?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Send PM
Re: In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necess [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Correct answer is A. Here's my explanation. Let me know if it helps.

1) First step is to find if there is any error with the underlined clause:
In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to sand it and apply primer before applying the paint.

Does it correctly refers to a preceding noun? If you look at the previous clause In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface you will notice that there is only one subject the rough surface. Paint is not a noun as it is used in verb form. So it does correctly refer to a noun/subject. Remainder of the underline sentence looks fine as it correctly reflects the sequence of events: sand it and apply primer before applying the pain..

Now we know that A cud be the answer. Let us use POE on the rest.
B. it and prime it and paint it - the sequence of events is lost
C. it, then prime it, then paint it - repetion of 'it' makes it wordy
D. the surface and apply primer before you apply paint to the surface - looks incorrect use of 'you'

E. the surface, apply primer to the surface and then paint it - because of the use of 'it', parallelism for 'and' is lost.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to sand it and apply primer before applying the paint.
(A) it and apply primer before applying the paint
(B) it and prime it and paint it

sand, prime and paint are related actions..hence are a list..In the list, only the last element must have ", and"
Eliminate

Let me tell you there are no pronoun reference errors.

"it is necessary"---this "it" is a dummy one...such as "It is sunny now"

second and third "it" refers to "surface"

It may have refer to "paint" However, paint is used as a verb.

(C) it, then prime it, then paint it

we understand the sequence even without "then"

List must end with ", and"

(D) the surface and apply primer before you apply paint to the surface

"you" --has no antecedent at all...

(E) the surface, apply primer to the surface and then paint it

Last "it" here can refer to "surface" or "primer"

So, by POE, we get A

lets check if there are any errors with A

Pronoun reference errros: Nil

First "it" is dummy...such as "it is a sunny day"

second and third "it" refer to surface unambiguously

Parallelism: yes

to paint..to sand...to apply

"to" with apply is implicit as per parallelism of infinitive

what about "before applying the paint."

okie lets remove it and see if it makes sense

In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to sand it and apply primer

okie...we are left with a question

when to "sand" and "apply primer" before paint or after paint

Regarding "applying" -present participle..and is used correctly

"Choose A"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:UCLA, CSU
Bookmarks
(A) it and apply primer before applying the paint

(B) it and prime it and paint it ( The original sentence only discusses what is necessary to evenly and effectievely paint a rough surface – no mention of if it is to be painted or not - this option changes the meaning)

(C) it, then prime it, then paint it ( The original sentence only discusses what is necessary to evenly and effectievely paint a rough surface – no mention of if it is to be painted or not - this option changes the meaning)

(D) the surface and apply primer before you
apply paint to the surface ( you – original sentence is indirect and the changed sentence is direct)

(E) the surface, apply primer to the surface and then paint it (Wordy tries avoiding the pronoun completely )
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necess [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Before we go into more advanced grammar, let us look at some basic grammar

(A) It and apply primer before applying the paint – seems ok because the place holder value of some pronouns is an accepted practice in formal English
(B) it and prime it and paint it – how many ands – basically wrong
C) it, then prime it, then paint it; and no and at all here; basically wrong
(D) the surface and apply primer before you apply paint to the surface ; how many surfaces in a single sentence– unacceptable

(E) the surface, apply primer to the surface and then paint it; totally three surfaces and the two in the given choices are too many as many

Now can u see why A is the best. Incidentally, structural parallelism without proper conjugation is ungrammatical as in B and C

may not be a good GMAT worthy question , but definitely a good practice sample to start with , because of dealing with pronoun, punctuation and conjugation

Originally posted by daagh on 31 Jul 2011, 04:42.
Last edited by daagh on 25 Jan 2019, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
daagh @abhimanha @sayantac2k
Can you brief more on what grounds can we reject D over A
In A it can refer to the paint , the primer
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
daagh @abhimanha @sayantac2k
Can you brief more on what grounds can we reject D over A
In A it can refer to the paint , the primer

teaser: I presume you re referring to the second 'it' as the first 'it' is just a placeholder. As per your reckoning, the following three pronoun references are possible for the second 'it' in choice A.
1. In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to sand the surface and apply primer before applying the paint.
2. In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to sand the primer and apply primer before applying the paint.
3. In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to sand the paint and apply primer before applying the paint.
Start thinking which option is sensible. Do we ever sand the paint of the primer?
We should not forget the logic behind the pronouns, the ultimate decider. Or else, we will be missing the target
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
sharadGmat wrote:

A. it and apply primer before applying the paint

B. it and prime it and paint it

C. it, then prime it, then paint it

D. the surface and apply primer before you apply paint to the surface

E. the surface, apply primer to the surface and then paint it

HI GMATNinja, mikemcgarry, DmitryFarber, MagooshExpert (Carolyn), ccooley, GMATGuruNY, EMPOWERgmatVerbal, EducationAisle

Can you please help me with this SC? Are we rejecting D & E just because they are wordier? In B & C does it not it refers to rough surface
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necess [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
sharadGmat wrote:

B. it and prime it and paint it

C. it, then prime it, then paint it

D. the surface and apply primer before you apply paint to the surface

E. the surface, apply primer to the surface and then paint it

HI GMATNinja, mikemcgarry, DmitryFarber, MagooshExpert (Carolyn), ccooley, GMATGuruNY, EMPOWERgmatVerbal, EducationAisle

Can you please help me with this SC? Are we rejecting D & E just because they are wordier? In B & C does it not it refers to rough surface

Hello!

Thank you for your question. We can eliminate options D & E because they repeat the subject, rather than substituting in a pronoun (it) to simplify things. By repeating the subject each time, it does make the sentence overly wordy or repetitive for no good reason. As long as it's clear what/who the pronoun is referring to (and in option A, it's pretty clear), it's best to say the subject once and use pronouns afterwards.

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this—choice A) has a problem too: applying here is actually a dangling gerund. Precisely who is doing the applying? ;)

That fault is easier to see in a sentence like the following:

Before going to a job interview, your clothes should be ironed.

This problem would be eliminated if choice A) read something like this:

it and apply primer before any paint is applied
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 555 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
NandishSS wrote:

Instead of looking for structure, we can focus on the intended meaning of this sentence. The important part here is the initial modifier in order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, which provides the context for the rest of what the sentence should say.

A. In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to (a) sand it and (b) apply primer before applying the paint.

Disregard the final modifier before applying the paint, as it is not part of the list of things that are necessary to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface. This option says that we need to do two things (sand the surface and apply primer) in order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface.

What we would not want to do is to take the paint bit out of the modifier at the end and add it to the list as the third necessary thing. For example, take the following sentence:

In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to sand the surface, apply primer to the surface, and paint it.

If we unpack the list, we get:

In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface,
1. it is necessary to sand the surface,
2. it is necessary to apply primer to the surface,
and
3. it is necessary to paint it.

Effectively, this sentence tells us that in order to paint a rough surface evenly and effectively, we need to paint it (third item in the list). Take the meaning call: do we really want to say that in order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to then paint it? Or are two other things (sanding and primer) necessary before the paint is applied?

B. In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to (a) sand it and (b) prime it and (c) paint it.

Apart from the additional and, this option has the list problem we just discussed.

C. In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to (a) sand it, (b) then prime it, (c) then paint it.

Awkward usage of multiple thens. Additionally, this option doesn't even have an and to join the items of the list.

D. In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to (a) sand the surface and (b) apply primer before you apply paint to the surface.

In this option the list doesn't include paint, but this option is wordier (sand the surface instead of sand it and before you apply paint to the surface instead of before applying the paint). Additionally, there is no reason for the sentence to suddenly make this about a "you".

E. In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to (a) sand the surface, (b) apply primer to the surface and (c) then paint it.

The last option is wordy and has the same list problem that option B has.

EDIT
Here is an example that is (somewhat) similar to what is there in this question (disregard meaning):

(a) In order to quickly and reliably solve a tough question, it is necessary to understand the question, check for clear errors in the question, and solve it. ← "In order to quickly and reliably solve a tough question, it is necessary to... solve it."

vs.

(b) In order to quickly and reliably solve a tough question, it is necessary to understand the question and check for clear errors in the question before marking an answer. ← This one does a much better job of addressing the "quickly and reliably" bit.

Hi Ajitesh, as per daagh suggestion in this question (https://gmatclub.com/forum/michelangelo ... l#p2509345), the dual usage of "it" (as a placeholder and as a noun) is wrong in a sentence, can any of you put a light on this because it is now confusing.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
ajaygaur319 wrote:
Hi Ajitesh, as per daagh suggestion in this question (https://gmatclub.com/forum/michelangelo ... l#p2509345), the dual usage of "it" (as a placeholder and as a noun) is wrong in a sentence, can any of you put a light on this because it is now confusing.

Hi ajaygaur319,

I am not aware of any such restriction. In fact, I think it is common in English to have it perform more than just one role in a sentence. :)

Try to check for awkwardness and ambiguity when you see more than one it, but try not to remove such options out of hand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2107
Send PM
Hello,

I need help with choice A.

While reading this, I see, 'sand it' seems fine. But when I read further to 'apply primer', I ask the question 'apply primer to what'. Shouldn't the statement mention it:
'sand it and apply primer before applying paint to it.' - something like this.
OR
'sand it and apply primer to it before applying paint to it.' - i understand that this seems wordy, but is still clear.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anandanwar wrote:
Hello,

While reading this, I see, 'sand it' seems fine. But when I read further to 'apply primer', I ask the question 'apply primer to what'. Shouldn't the statement mention it:
OR
'sand it and apply primer to it before applying paint to it.' - i understand that this seems wordy, but is still clear.

I think since we're talking about what is needed to 'paint a rough surface,' it is reasonable to presume that the thing we 'apply primer' to is the rough surface. While I agree, a 'robot' would probably have trouble discerning that, this is one of those times where you're headed too far into the robot world. That's okay--I tell students to try to go too far to 'robot interpretation' and then dial themselves back.

B,C, and E have a bigger, less forgivable meaning error. Because of the parallelism in the lists they create, they end up saying "In order to paint a rough surface, it is necessary to... paint the surface."

Which is very logically redundant. Only A and D fix this by saying what is necessary to do BEFORE putting the paint on the surface (so this last 'paint' is not part of the list of what it is necessary to do to paint a rough surface.'

D brings in the 'you,' which I can't say is ALWAYS wrong, but is certainly unusual. D also gets a little overzealous in reminding us about 'the surface' (though that seems slightly aesthetic, but in a pinch, all else equal, choose the prettier sentence). These small things make me choose A over D.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anandanwar wrote:
Hello,

OR

Hello Anandanwar,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe that we can help resolve your doubt.

As mentioned by ReedArnoldMPREP, it can be reasonably assumed that "apply primer" applies to "rough surface", and even if it is not entirely clear, the other answer choices have much more serious flaws that make them inferior choices.

The bigger takeaway here is that on the GMAT, you must look for the best answer choice, among the ones given, rather than the perfect one.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM

Option elimination -
Understanding of the meaning becomes critical when we solve the difficult questions. GMAT tests grammar and a person's ability to interpret the meaning correctly. In this question, if we understand the meaning, we discuss what is required to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface. So, we must consider the steps required to prepare the surface for painting. And what are those steps - we need to sand it and apply primer - it's pretty understood that sanding comes before applying primer and not at the same time.
Likewise, if we say to get an engineering degree (or, for that matter, any degree), we must study hard and perform well on the exams before we get the engineering degree. Working hard comes before performing well on the exams.

A. it and apply primer before applying the paint - To evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, we need two things - apply sand and primer. This option presents it well and encapsulates the painting activity in the prepositional phrase to avoid confusion. The first "it" is a placeholder, and the 2nd "it" unambiguously refers to the surface. Ok.

B. it and prime it and paint it - One, it offers a wrong meaning, saying that to evenly and effectively paint a surface, we need to paint it. Of course, we need to paint it, but we are concerned about the steps before painting, not the actual painting here. Moreover, using two "and" connecting three items is wrong.

C. it, then prime it, then paint it - the same issue. Moreover, if we have three items, we need "and." However, it'll still be wrong because of the meaning issue.

D. the surface and apply primer before you apply paint to the surface - It doesn't have the meaning issue, but the other basis issues, such as usage of surface multiple times when we could have used an unambiguous pronoun and why to use an additional pronoun "you" unnecessarily.

E. the surface, apply primer to the surface and then paint it - same meaning issue.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts