GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 20:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

In order to understand the dangers of the current real-estate bubble

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
P
In order to understand the dangers of the current real-estate bubble  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 01:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:52) correct 34% (01:54) wrong based on 368 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In order to understand the dangers of the current real-estate bubble in Country Y, one has only to look to the real-estate bubble of the last decade in Country Z. In that country, incautious investors used the inflated value of their real estate as collateral in risky margin loans. When the real-estate market collapsed, many investors went bankrupt, creating a major recession. Country Y is in real danger of a similar recession if more-stringent laws restricting margin loans are not enacted promptly.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating the significance of the author’s claims?

(A) Was the real estate in Country Z located principally in rural areas or was it located in more urban communities?

(B) Could the bankruptcies in Country Z have been prevented by a private bailout plan by the nation’s banks?

(C) Does Country Y currently have any laws on its books regarding margin loans?

(D) Are there business ties and connections between Country Y and Country Z?

(E) Were there other factors in the case of Country Y that would make the comparison with Country Z less meaningful?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Re: In order to understand the dangers of the current real-estate bubble  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 01:47
E - Were there other factors in the case of Country Y that would make the comparison with Country Z less meaningful?
The author states "one has only to look to the real-estate bubble of the last decade in Country Z", are we sure we can compare the two countries? Isn't there any difference between them that could make the comparison not accurate?
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In order to understand the dangers of the current real-estate bubble  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 03:33
Premise: In order to understand the dangers of current real estate bubble in Country Y, one has to look at Country Z where recession was caused by the inflated real estate market.
Conclusion: If more stringent laws are not enacted, Country Y will face recession.

(A) Was the real estate in Country Z located principally in rural areas or was it located in more urban communities? - Incorrect - Irrelevant

(B) Could the bankruptcies in Country Z have been prevented by a private bailout plan by the nation’s banks? - Incorrect - We are concerned about Country Y. Country Z is used only for comparison purposed

(C) Does Country Y currently have any laws on its books regarding margin loans? - Incorrect - Doesn't answer whether country Y will sulk to recession

(D) Are there business ties and connections between Country Y and Country Z? - Incorrect - Irrelevant

(E) Were there other factors in the case of Country Y that would make the comparison with Country Z less meaningful? - Correct - If yes, then Country will not face recession. If no, country Y will face recession.

IMO answer is E.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 03:54
imo...it should be E.

but, could someone explain me on option C ?

+1 kudos, if you like the post :wink:

SC Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 04:35
prasadyanz wrote:
imo...it should be E.

but, could someone explain me on option C ?

This is just my opinion.

The argument states that "Country Y is in real danger of a similar recession if more-stringent laws restricting margin loans are not enacted promptly". - What does this mean? Country Y has laws governing margin loans or any other loans. But these laws have to be enacted promptly to avoid recession.

(C) Does Country Y currently have any laws on its books regarding margin loans? - Lets do a Yes/No test.
If yes - Country Y has laws on its books regarding margin loans - Does it help answer whether there Country Y faces recession? No.
If no - Country Y does not have any laws on its books regarding margin loans. So it has no laws and will it help avoid recession? Can't say because the argument does not state a relationship between absence of laws and recession. Instead the argument establishes the relationship between enactment of laws and recession.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 07:01
"C" cannot be the answer as the conclusion mentions about MORE stringent laws. So definitely laws do exist.

However, I still don't understand how can E be correct. The conclusion is " if more stringent laws are not implemented country Y may face recession." The premise states that we can compare the country Y with country Z. I don't think we can challenge this.
So Evaluating other options for making meaningful comparisons ideally does not directly tell us whether implementing more stringent laws will be really helpful.
Any expert's suggestion for evaluation type question ?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 08:10
hwgmat2015 wrote:
"C" cannot be the answer as the conclusion mentions about MORE stringent laws. So definitely laws do exist.

However, I still don't understand how can E be correct. The conclusion is " if more stringent laws are not implemented country Y may face recession." The premise states that we can compare the country Y with country Z. I don't think we can challenge this.
So Evaluating other options for making meaningful comparisons ideally does not directly tell us whether implementing more stringent laws will be really helpful.
Any expert's suggestion for evaluation type question ?

Hi,
here we are trying to look at the significance of author's claims...
and his claims are
1) Y has the same real estate bubble that Z had.
2) Z went into recession, so Y will also go into rcession..
3) conclusion: Y should have some stringent laws to avoid the recession..

Quote:
The premise states that we can compare the country Y with country Z. I don't think we can challenge this.

the premise talks of the real estate bubble..
But we do not say that the conditions leading to it or the outcome of this Real estate bubble will be the same.

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 10:39
Argument is talking about following:

1) Y is facing the danger of real estate bubble that Z had.
2) investors in Z used the inflated value of their real estate as collateral in risky margin loans.
3) Z went into recession, so Y is in danger of facing similar recession..
4) conclusion: Y should have some stringent laws to avoid the recession what Z has suffered.

argument assumes that scenario under which recession happened in Z can be same in country Y.

so, he may find whether there are conditions under which recession can be avoided in Z. so it can also be avoided in Y.

I can only find option B.
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: IIMA , IIMA PGPX"18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.91
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 13:04
carcass wrote:
In order to understand the dangers of the current real-estate bubble in Country Y, one has only to look to the real-estate bubble of the last decade in Country Z. In that country, incautious investors used the inflated value of their real estate as collateral in risky margin loans. When the real-estate market collapsed, many investors went bankrupt, creating a major recession. Country Y is in real danger of a similar recession if more-stringent laws restricting margin loans are not enacted promptly.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating the significance of the author’s claims?

(A) Was the real estate in Country Z located principally in rural areas or was it located in more urban communities?

(B) Could the bankruptcies in Country Z have been prevented by a private bailout plan by the nation’s banks?

(C) Does Country Y currently have any laws on its books regarding margin loans?

(D) Are there business ties and connections between Country Y and Country Z?

(E) Were there other factors in the case of Country Y that would make the comparison with Country Z less meaningful?

(A) Was the real estate in Country Z located principally in rural areas or was it located in more urban communities? Out of scope

(B) Could the bankruptcies in Country Z have been prevented by a private bailout plan by the nation’s banks? Out of scope

(C) Does Country Y currently have any laws on its books regarding margin loans? it is irrelevant whether Country Y had any laws about this in the first place

(D) Are there business ties and connections between Country Y and Country Z? Incorrect

(E) Were there other factors in the case of Country Y that would make the comparison with Country Z less meaningful? Correct

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need.

“The great secret of true success, of true happiness, is this: the man or woman who asks for no return, the perfectly unselfish person, is the most successful.”
-Swami Vivekananda

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 06:11
The answer must be option E. To evaluate we need to ask ourselves - Is it valid to compare Y and Z ? We realize that only E fits the bill !

" The few , the fearless "

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 08:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In order to understand the dangers of the current real-estate bubble &nbs [#permalink] 05 Sep 2018, 08:30

In order to understand the dangers of the current real-estate bubble

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap