GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 17:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their aging, ineffic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their aging, ineffic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 01:12
DYNAMITE wrote:
In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their aging, inefficient fleets for a smaller number of efficient new airplanes, in part because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced and partly because low entry barriers for new carriers have created intense competition.

(A) in part because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced

(B) in part that high fuel costs might be lowered and repair costs might be reduced

(C) partly because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced your answer

(D) partly for the lowering of high fuel costs and the reduction of repair costs

(E) partly to lower high fuel prices and reduce repair costs

Hi guys,

Shouldn't (E) be "to lower... AND to reduce" to be parallel? Why is it optional? I picked C because of it has explicit parallel structure even though it sounds very awkward!

Confused between Choice C and E; Problem resolved when I understood the intent.
The airlines have already exchanged ..blabh..blah..for two reasons-
1. partly to .... ( we cannot use should for actions that have already been contemplated and done !!!! )
2. partly because

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Intern
Intern
B
Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their aging, ineffic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 02:45
Definitely, C is a better answer when you consider parallelism. But the first priority for any statement is to CONVEY THE CORRECT MEANING.
Answer E conveys that meaning correctly. It explains why the "troubled airlines" did what they did.
Had answer E been absent, C would have been the next best choice.

Please give KUDOS if you think this was helpful :)
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 11:41
E is the best answer. Parallelism wins.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2015, 08:35
How can E be correct? E says "partly to lower high fuel prices and reduce repair costs". How can an exchange of aircrafts lower the high fuel prices, it can only lower the cost incured because of high fuel prices. 'C' to me is a better answer. Please let me know if I'm wrong. Thanks.
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2015, 22:22
yashii9 wrote:
DYNAMITE wrote:
In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their aging, inefficient fleets for a smaller number of efficient new airplanes, in part because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced and partly because low entry barriers for new carriers have created intense competition.

(A) in part because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced

(B) in part that high fuel costs might be lowered and repair costs might be reduced

(C) partly because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced your answer

(D) partly for the lowering of high fuel costs and the reduction of repair costs

(E) partly to lower high fuel prices and reduce repair costs

Hi guys,

Shouldn't (E) be "to lower... AND to reduce" to be parallel? Why is it optional? I picked C because of it has explicit parallel structure even though it sounds very awkward!

its easy to eliminate A,B looking at the non underlined part..among C,D & E

(C) partly because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced your answer - should is a subjunctive verb and can not be used when the intent is definite. Here the fleets are replaced to reducefuel cost..... not that fleets are reduced because fuel cost should be reduced...

(D) partly for the lowering of high fuel costs and the reduction of repair costs - this is not the best construction

(E) partly to lower high fuel prices and reduce repair costs -Correct

B is wrong -
we do x to achieve y.
we do x so that y should be achieved. (Is the difference visible??)

E- is right-

infinitives are used in two ways-

1. to do,to think,to make and to reach.
2. to do,think,make and reach.

either to should be used with every verb in the list or should be used only once in the beginning of the list.

to do,make,think and to reach - this is an incorrect construction.

Hope this helps! :)

Hi yashii9,

The usage might be correct in option E but kindly clarify how the result will be to lower high fuel prices? as mentioned in option E :shock:

Because for what I know they dont control the fuel prices just the cost. :-D

Hence option C makes more sense.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2016, 20:59
Hi,
Due to the limitation of time, i quickly choose C because the familiar parallel "partly because- partly because" without checking meaning and move to another question. Moreover, i decided E is wrong because it is not parallel "partly to- partly because".
Turns out i was wrong. So, should i always care about meaning for every sc choice eventhough i had a quick decision?
Thanks in advance for any kindly advice.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 00:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their aging, ineffic &nbs [#permalink] 02 Oct 2018, 00:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their aging, ineffic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap