It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In tests for pironoma, a serious disease, a false positive

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 24

WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In tests for pironoma, a serious disease, a false positive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 00:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:23) correct 46% (01:49) wrong based on 430 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tough and confusing :?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 24

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 06:59
Why not C?

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 05:57
SudiptoGmat wrote:
In tests for pironoma, a serious disease, a false positive result indicates that people have pironoma when, in fact, they do not; a false negative result indicates that people do not have pironoma when, in fact, they do. To detect pironoma most accurately, physicians should use the laboratory test that has the lowest proportion of false positive results.
Which of the following, if true, gives the most support to the recommendation above?
(A) The accepted treatment for pironoma does not have damaging side effects. ==> Keeping it as a contender
(B) The laboratory test that has the lowest proportion of false positive results causes the same minor side effects as do the other laboratory tests used to detect pironoma. ==> Weakens the argument since the test results have the same minor side effects as other tests and so there is no good reason to specifically use lab test that has the lowest proportion of false positive results.
(C) In treating pironoma patients, it is essential to begin treatment as early as possible, since even a week of delay can result in loss of life. ==> No effect on the argument
(D) The proportion of inconclusive test results is equal for all laboratory tests used to detect pironoma. ==> No effect on the argument
(E) All laboratory tests to detect pironoma have the same proportion of false negative results. ==> Contender

try this but give your logic to support your answer

Out of A and E, E definitely supports the argument better than A does.

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2013, 22:16
was really tough ... thanks for explanantion ...

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 349

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 07:47
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 11

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2014, 01:39
This post received
KUDOS
In tests for pironoma, a serious disease, a false positive result indicates that people have pironoma when, in fact, they do not; a false negative result indicates that people do not have pironoma when, in fact, they do. To detect pironoma most accurately, physicians should use the laboratory test that has the lowest proportion of false positive results.

Which of the following, if true, gives the most support to the recommendation above?

(A) The accepted treatment for pironoma does not have damaging side effects.
(B) The laboratory test that has the lowest proportion of false positive results causes the same minor side effects as do the other laboratory tests used to detect pironoma.
(C) In treating pironoma patients, it is essential to begin treatment as early as possible, since even a week of delay can result in loss of life.
(D) The proportion of inconclusive test results is equal for all laboratory tests used to detect pironoma.
(E) All laboratory tests to detect pironoma have the same proportion of false negative results.

This was a very tricky question indeed. It was like if not 'p', then (1-p) is the answer.

If false negative results are the same for all the laboratories, then false positive results that can be rectified, needs to be chosen.

Thanks.!

'The best way to thank or appreciate efforts on this forum is to give Kudos.'

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 11

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 29

Schools: AGSM '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2014
GPA: 3.96
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2014, 21:23
false negative=true results
false positive=false results
then read options carefully :)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 29

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2014, 08:29

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 11:14

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 14:12

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 66

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 04:27
Well.. this is more like an assumption question than support a recommendation .. :? :|
i got this wrong in one of my test as i din understand the question and rest was blunder ..
Nonetheless, thanks for the question :)

Cheers,
Shri
-------------------------------
GMAT is not an Exam... it is a war .. Let's Conquer !!!

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 66

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17370 [4], given: 232

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2016, 01:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SudiptoGmat wrote:
(B) The laboratory test that has the lowest proportion of false positive results causes the same minor side effects as do the other laboratory tests used to detect pironoma.
(C) In treating pironoma patients, it is essential to begin treatment as early as possible, since even a week of delay can result in loss of life.
(D) The proportion of inconclusive test results is equal for all laboratory tests used to detect pironoma.
(E) All laboratory tests to detect pironoma have the same proportion of false negative results.

True test results:
Person has pironoma and the test says he does.
Person doesn't have pironoma and the test says he doesn't.

False test results:
Person has pironoma and the test says he doesn't - False negative
Person doesn't have pironoma and the test says he does - False positive

To detect pironoma accurately, obviously false test results should be minimised. Now the arguments says that the test with the lowest proportion of false positives should be used. The question that arises is what about false negatives? What if the test with the lowest proportion of false positives has very high proportion of false negatives. Will that test be most accurate then? Perhaps not.
So how do we support the recommendation that the test with lowest false positives should be used (since it will be the most accurate)?
Option (E) says that all tests have the same proportion of false negatives. This means false negatives are the same for all tests. So this is not a distinguishing factor at all. Then the test that has the lowest proportion of false positives would be the most accurate. Hence, option (E) supports the recommendation.

Some people seem to have had trouble with option (C).

This would support focusing on minimising false negatives. A false negative delays the start of treatment. If treatment needs to begin asap, then we should try to minimise false negatives. It doesn't strengthen our recommendation of minimising false positives.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17370 [4], given: 232

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 15

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 03:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(A) The accepted treatment for pironoma does not have damaging side effects.( WRONG ANSWER :The argument deals with the detection of the disease and not with its treatment.)

(B) The laboratory test that has the lowest proportion of false positive results causes the same minor side effects as do the other laboratory tests used to detect pironoma.(WRONG ANSWER : The argument is not concerned about the side effects of the tests.)

(C) In treating pironoma patients, it is essential to begin treatment as early as possible, since even a week of delay can result in loss of life.(WRONG ANSWER : The argument is concerned with the detection of the disease and not with its treatment.)

(D) The proportion of inconclusive test results is equal for all laboratory tests used to detect pironoma.( WRONG ANSWER : The argument is not about the proportion of inconclusive results.)

(E) All laboratory tests to detect pironoma have the same proportion of false negative results.(RIGHT ANSWER : When all laboratory tests give the same number of false negative results then the only thing that will differentiate a given test from the others will the number of false positive results it produces.)

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 15

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 22:21
the answer should be E,while i were confused btw D&E can someone explain a better reason to eliminate option D
thnaks

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 135

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 01:26
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
SudiptoGmat wrote:

True test results:
Person has pironoma and the test says he does.
Person doesn't have pironoma and the test says he doesn't.

False test results:
Person has pironoma and the test says he doesn't - False negative
Person doesn't have pironoma and the test says he does - False positive

To detect pironoma accurately, obviously false test results should be minimised. Now the arguments says that the test with the lowest proportion of false positives should be used. The question that arises is what about false negatives? What if the test with the lowest proportion of false positives has very high proportion of false negatives. Will that test be most accurate then? Perhaps not.
So how do we support the recommendation that the test with lowest false positives should be used (since it will be the most accurate)?
Option (E) says that all tests have the same proportion of false negatives. This means false negatives are the same for all tests. So this is not a distinguishing factor at all. Then the test that has the lowest proportion of false positives would be the most accurate. Hence, option (E) supports the recommendation.

Some people seem to have had trouble with option (C).

This would support focusing on minimising false negatives. A false negative delays the start of treatment. If treatment needs to begin asap, then we should try to minimise false negatives. It doesn't strengthen our recommendation of minimising false positives.

Excellent Explanation! :)

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 01:34
Choice A and C are dealing with the treatment for pironoma and are irrelevant to the accuracy of tests to detect pironoma.

Negate - The accepted treatment for pironoma does have damaging side effects. The negation does not affect the argument at all. So, no impact on the argument.

Similarly, Choice B deals with the side effects of tests to detect pironoma, and does not address their accuracy. so incorrect.

That the proportion of inconclusive test results is equal for all tests (choice D) leaves open the question of which test is more accurate, since it does not indicate which test has fewest false results.

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Re: In tests for pironoma, a serious disease, a false positive   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2017, 01:34

In tests for pironoma, a serious disease, a false positive

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap