Last visit was: 17 Jul 2024, 05:37 It is currently 17 Jul 2024, 05:37
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28844 [7]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8966 [6]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [2]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 4028 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Re: Oda Nobunaga [#permalink]
Kudos
+1 E

Oda is the suject and needs a working verb.
C is not clear about what that force is.
In D, "recognized that" needs a clause after it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: In the 1560 Battle of Okehazama, in which the warlord [#permalink]
Kudos
The original sentence along with choice B begs for a verb after the subject Oda Nobounga. We need a clause after 'that' as in C and E. C is out as it fails to clarify who is outnumbered. E looks fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
In choice E: "Nobunaga recognized that, although his men were outnumbered ten to one, the terrain gave them…", I am not that sure the "his men" and "gave them" have a clear referent. It is unclear if those men were Imagawa Yoshimoto´s men or Oda Nobounga´s men. Same with "them". Can anyone explain it. Thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28844 [3]
Kudos
Expert Reply
anonimo wrote:
In choice E: "Nobunaga recognized that, although his men were outnumbered ten to one, the terrain gave them…", I am not that sure the "his men" and "gave them" have a clear referent. It is unclear if those men were Imagawa Yoshimoto´s men or Oda Nobounga´s men. Same with "them". Can anyone explain it. Thanks

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Here's the the sentence with choice (E) included:
In the 1560 Battle of Okehazama, in which the warlord Imagawa Yoshimoto was defeated and killed, Oda Nobunaga recognized that, although his men were outnumbered ten to one, the terrain gave thema decisive advantage.

As a general rule, wherever a pronoun appears, it refers back to the subject of that part of the sentence. If we had any pronouns in the subordinate clause following Imagawa Yoshimoto, the pronouns would refer to him and his men. That one part of the sentence, "in which the warlord Imagawa Yoshimoto was defeated and killed" "belongs" to Imagawa Yoshimoto --- he is the subject there, the main focus, and any pronouns must refer to him.

Instead, the highlighted pronouns are in the main part of the sentence: both appear in substantive clauses that are the object of the verb "recognized", and the subject of that verb is Oda Nobunaga. You can bracket off the subordinate clause, and everything is clear. (In general, that's an excellent tip for figuring out the antecedent of pronouns --- bracket off subordinate clauses, parts of the sentence that "belong" to other subjects). Everything after that second comma, starting at the name "Oda Nobunaga" -- that whole part of the sentence "belongs" to Nobunaga. He is "the man", the main actor, in that part of the sentence, and every pronoun refers unambiguously to him. All the action of that main part of the sentence hangs on him.

Does that make sense?

Mike :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42142 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mike has explained beautifully the structural relevance of the pronouns in E; Let me add to it the logical part. If any doubt lingers in our mind in re: to the appropriateness of any one of the two referents, let us momentarily insert each one of them and see which one fits logically.

In the 1560 Battle of Okehazama, in which the warlord Imagawa Yoshimoto was defeated and killed, Oda Nobunaga recognized that, although his men were outnumbered ten to one, the terrain gave them a decisive advantage.

The gist of the text is that Oda eventually won and defeated Imagawa, although Oda’s team was a small one; Oda’s men still won because the terrain was advantageous to Oda’s team. The decisive advantage was for the Oda’s men and not for Imagawa’s men. The victors were the Oda’ men as the choice clearly makes out. . That clears the ambiguity of the pronoun them.
Second, the conjunction although implies that the smaller team eventually won, in spite of the smallness. If the victors were the fewer Oda’s men, the losers were the Imagawa’s greater number of men, because they were the ones decimated.
Logically, both the pronouns smugly befit Oda’s men.

Thanks Mike for your excellent thread
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2604 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:

As a general rule, wherever a pronoun appears, it refers back to the subject of that part of the sentence. If we had any pronouns in the subordinate clause following Imagawa Yoshimoto, the pronouns would refer to him and his men. That one part of the sentence, "in which the warlord Imagawa Yoshimoto was defeated and killed" "belongs" to Imagawa Yoshimoto --- he is the subject there, the main focus, and any pronouns must refer to him.

Instead, the highlighted pronouns are in the main part of the sentence: both appear in substantive clauses that are the object of the verb "recognized", and the subject of that verb is Oda Nobunaga. You can bracket off the subordinate clause, and everything is clear. (In general, that's an excellent tip for figuring out the antecedent of pronouns --- bracket off subordinate clauses, parts of the sentence that "belong" to other subjects). Everything after that second comma, starting at the name "Oda Nobunaga" -- that whole part of the sentence "belongs" to Nobunaga. He is "the man", the main actor, in that part of the sentence, and every pronoun refers unambiguously to him. All the action of that main part of the sentence hangs on him.

Does that make sense?

Hi Mike,

Can you please explain the rule with examples?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28844 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
kinjiGC wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:

Does that make sense?

Hi Mike,

Can you please explain the rule with examples?

Dear Kinjal,

First of all, here's a blog article about pronouns and typical pronoun mistakes:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-pronoun-traps/

One of the biggest traps is using the same pronoun in the same sentence to refer to different antecedents. That's always wrong.

Rather than create new sentences right now, I'm going to challenge you. If you want to see sophisticated sentences, you should be reading --- the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Economist Magazine, etc. Read those sources regularly, to improve all your GMAT Verbal skills. In the ordinary course of reading, you should come across long sentences in which pronouns are used. Probably many of them will make perfect sense to you, but if you find a sentence in which the pronoun usage is not clear, then feel free to post a question about it to me in the Magoosh forum:
magoosh-324/
I will be happy to answer any questions you have there.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6984 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts