GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 23:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the early 1920s, prospector Robert Flaherty made a documentary film

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.69
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
In the early 1920s, prospector Robert Flaherty made a documentary film  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 10:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

70% (01:30) correct 30% (00:47) wrong based on 201 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the early 1920s, prospector Robert Flaherty made a documentary film called Nanook of the North that would display an Arctic Inuit family's manner of living before the influence of Europeans.

a) that would display an Arctic Inuit family's manner of living before the influence of Europeans.

b) ,displaying the manner in which an arctic Inuit family may have lived before European influence.

c) ,for displaying what an Arctic Inuit family's manner of living would be before the Europeans influenced it.

d) that display an Arctic Inuit family's living manner before the European influence.

e) to display what manner of living an Arctic Inuit family have had before European influence.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
In the early 1920s, prospector Robert Flaherty made a documentary film  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 10:38
Navinder wrote:
In the early 1920s, prospector Robert Flaherty made a documentary film called Nanook of the North that would display an Arctic Inuit family's manner of living before the influence of Europeans.

a) that would display an Arctic Inuit family's manner of living before the influence of Europeans.

b) ,displaying the manner in which an arctic Inuit family may have lived before European influence.

c) ,for displaying what an Arctic Inuit family's manner of living would be before the Europeans influenced it.

d) that display an Arctic Inuit family's living manner before the European influence.

e) to display what manner of living an Arctic Inuit family have had before European influence.

Dear Navinder,

I'm happy to help. :-) The theme of this question is near and dear to me, since I remember seeing the film Nanook of the North when I was a kid in school.

I added the underlining. Please underline when you post a SC question. I also italicized the name of the classic film.

My friend, I am sorry to say: this is an atrocious question. It has a large number of problems. If you got this out of book, I recommend setting fire to that book. This question will not prepare you for the GMAT at all.

Among other problems, this question has made some awkward choices with punctuation. A choice in a GMAT SC question NEVER begins with a punctuation mark. If some choices, here (B) & (C), are going to begin with a comma, and others aren't, the GMAT would underline the previous word, to show the break, as follows:
A) North that would display an Arctic Inuit family's manner of living before the influence of Europeans.

B) North, displaying the manner in which an arctic Inuit family may have lived before European influence.

C) North, for displaying what an Arctic Inuit family's manner of living would be before the Europeans influenced it.

D) North that display an Arctic Inuit family's living manner before the European influence.

E) North to display what manner of living an Arctic Inuit family have had before European influence.

The entire sentence is awkward. It is as if it were written by someone who doesn't understand English completely. One has to be a complete expert in the English language before one can legitimately write SC questions and offer then as teaching tools to others.

Choice (A) has not obvious grammar mistake, although it is awkward, not the way a well-spoken native speaker would convey that information.
In Choice (B), the hypothetical verb "may have lived" changes the meaning. This is wrong.
In Choice (C), the "for displaying" is extremely awkward. This is wrong.
Choice (D) has a very basic SVA error, "that display." This is wrong.
Choice (E) also has a very basic SVA error, "have had." This is wrong.

The wrong answer are ridiculously easy to spot. This is not at all the nature of the wrong answers on the real GMAT.

I would give the source that published it a grade of F on this question. It is irredeemably bad.

Here's a blog with much better SC practice questions:
GMAT Sentence Correction: the “Due To” Mistake

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.69
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In the early 1920s, prospector Robert Flaherty made a documentary film  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 10:46
mikemcgarry wrote:
Navinder wrote:

Dear Navinder,

I'm happy to help. :-) The theme of this question is near and dear to me, since I remember seeing the film Nanook of the North when I was a kid in school.

I added the underlining. Please underline when you post a SC question. I also italicized the name of the classic film.

My friend, I am sorry to say: this is an atrocious question. It has a large number of problems. If you got this out of book, I recommend setting fire to that book. This question will not prepare you for the GMAT at all.

Among other problems, this question has made some awkward choices with punctuation. A choice in a GMAT SC question NEVER begins with a punctuation mark. If some choices, here (B) & (C), are going to begin with a comma, and others aren't, the GMAT would underline the previous word, to show the break, as follows:
A) North that would display an Arctic Inuit family's manner of living before the influence of Europeans.

B) North, displaying the manner in which an arctic Inuit family may have lived before European influence.

C) North, for displaying what an Arctic Inuit family's manner of living would be before the Europeans influenced it.

D) North that display an Arctic Inuit family's living manner before the European influence.

E) North to display what manner of living an Arctic Inuit family have had before European influence.

The entire sentence is awkward. It is as if it were written by someone who doesn't understand English completely. One has to be a complete expert in the English language before one can legitimately write SC questions and offer then as teaching tools to others.

Choice (A) has not obvious grammar mistake, although it is awkward, not the way a well-spoken native speaker would convey that information.
In Choice (B), the hypothetical verb "may have lived" changes the meaning. This is wrong.

The wrong answer are ridiculously easy to spot. This is not at all the nature of the wrong answers on the real GMAT.

I would give the source that published it a grade of F on this question. It is irredeemably bad.

Thanks Mike for your help in editing the question.

Regarding the question. This is something I would have wanted to hear while posting this question. I too think that this is a ridiculous question. Can you also tell me if use of displaying in choice B is correct.

Also people might want to know the source. It is 800score
Thanks Mike.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Re: In the early 1920s, prospector Robert Flaherty made a documentary film  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 06:53
mikemcgarry wrote:
Navinder wrote:

Dear Navinder,

Dear Mike,
Please explain me the usage of have had . Whenever I see this word i just guess . Thanks :)
G

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 09:45
anje29 wrote:
Dear Mike,
Please explain me the usage of have had . Whenever I see this word i just guess . Thanks :)

Dear anje29,

My friend, you need to understand the use of the perfect tenses. That blog is a starting point.

Since this relatively common structure confuses you, this suggests to me that you need to make big improvements on the verbal side. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Director
Director
D

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 09:57
Navinder wrote:

Dear Navinder,

This may not be a good quality question as mike has pointed out, however what is the OA according to the source , if you can please clarify.
Some out us out of sheer curiosity would just like to know the OA.
Thanks.
In the early 1920s, prospector Robert Flaherty made a documentary film   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2017, 09:57

In the early 1920s, prospector Robert Flaherty made a documentary film

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap