Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 21:49 It is currently 10 May 2024, 21:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622724 [5]
Given Kudos: 81828
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16954 [2]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13464 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622724 [3]
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of the circles shown. If AB = 4, what is the perimeter of the shaded region?

(A) 2π + 4

(B) 4π + 4

(C) 4π + 8

(D) 8π + 8

(E) 8π + 16

Attachment:
2018-03-16_1011_004.png

23. Geometry

24. Coordinate Geometry

25. Triangles

26. Polygons

27. Circles

28. Rectangular Solids and Cylinders

29. Graphs and Illustrations

For other subjects:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5217 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of [#permalink]
Attachment:
2018-03-16_1011_004.png
2018-03-16_1011_004.png [ 11.16 KiB | Viewed 6196 times ]

In order to find the perimeter of the shaded region, we need to know the
length of the two curved portions and add it to the length of AB,which is 4.

Let the radii of the two circles be x and y.
From the above diagram, x+y = 4.

The perimeter of the curved portions can be calculated using the formula
for the length of the sector which is \(\frac{@}{360} * 2 * \pi *\) radius (Here @=90)

Sum of the perimeter(of the curved surfaces) is \(\frac{90}{360} * 2 * \pi * x + \frac{90}{360} * 2 * \pi * y\)

This can be further simplified as \(\frac{1}{4}*2*\pi*(x+y) = \frac{1}{2}*\pi*(4) = 2*\pi\)

Therefore, the perimeter of the shaded region is \(2\pi + 4\) (Option A)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of [#permalink]
I am able to establish that you need to find the area of the rectangle and subtract 1/2 the area of the circle, but since we aren't given the radius of the circle I don't understand how this is possible to determine. What am I missing?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622724 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
lostnumber wrote:
I am able to establish that you need to find the area of the rectangle and subtract 1/2 the area of the circle, but since we aren't given the radius of the circle I don't understand how this is possible to determine. What am I missing?

I think solutions above make it clear: we are given that AB = 4.

AB = 2* Radius of each circle, so radius = 2.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
lostnumber wrote:

I looked over more carefully and EgmatQuantExpert's answer gave me what I needed with the diagram he included. I did not understand how we knew AB = 2R, but seeing it drawn out it makes sense now. I should have ready more carefully, sorry!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
[quote="Bunuel"]
In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of the circles shown. If AB = 4, what is the perimeter of the shaded region?

(A) 2π + 4

(B) 4π + 4

(C) 4π + 8

AB=CD=2*r=4
Hence r =2
Perimeter for 90 curvature is given by =(2*pi*r)*(90/360)
=pi*r/2
Total perimeter for shaded part= AB +2*perimeter of curvature
=4+2pi

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16954 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Expert Reply
lostnumber wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
lostnumber wrote:

I looked over more carefully and EgmatQuantExpert's answer gave me what I needed with the diagram he included. I did not understand how we knew AB = 2R, but seeing it drawn out it makes sense now. I should have ready more carefully, sorry!

We are glad that you identified your mistake and rectified it by yourself.

I want to add some points just to give you some more understanding.

Since AD and BC are the radii of, let's say circle C1 and circle C2.

Hence, D is the centre of C1 and C is the centre of C2. And,
P also extends from the centre of the C1 i.e. D till P, the circumference of C1. Hence It is also the radius of C1.
In the similar fashion, CP is the radius of the circle C2.

I hope this makes things more clear for you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
1. Find length of the arc
2. 2* length of the arc
3. Add this to length of the AB.
Now length of AB is 4 , hence length of CD=4 . Radius of each circle is CD/2.
Length of the arc = Theta/360 * 2*pi*r , theta here is 90 degrees since ABCD is rectangle
The answer is A
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

We are glad that you identified your mistake and rectified it by yourself.

I want to add some points just to give you some more understanding.

Since AD and BC are the radii of, let's say circle C1 and circle C2.

Hence, D is the centre of C1 and C is the centre of C2. And,
P also extends from the centre of the C1 i.e. D till P, the circumference of C1. Hence It is also the radius of C1.
In the similar fashion, CP is the radius of the circle C2.

I hope this makes things more clear for you.

Based on the information given in the question, is it mathematically necessary that the circles are the same size, or is that an assumption we are making based on the diagram? I remember back in highschool math our teacher would trick us all the time by giving figures the visually looked like they were symetrical or congruent but mathematically weren't. His point was that you can't assume any information not given in the problem. Is there some mathematical reason why these circles could not be different sizes?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Actually, I've thought about it, and I realized that they must be the same size because we are told that AD and BC are the radius of the respective circles. Thus we know that points D and C must be the center of the circles and since a rectangle is symmetrical everything must be the same.

But as a larger point, will the GMAT ever ask trick questions such as my highschool math teacher did? IE give a diagram where it looks like something is a 90 degree angle but it isn't, or two figures look like the same size but aren't, etc.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93155 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts