GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 00:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:38) correct 16% (02:43) wrong based on 77 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of the circles shown. If AB = 4, what is the perimeter of the shaded region?

(A) 2π + 4

(B) 4π + 4

(C) 4π + 8

(D) 8π + 8

(E) 8π + 16

Attachment:
2018-03-16_1011_004.png
2018-03-16_1011_004.png [ 9.46 KiB | Viewed 973 times ]

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Math Expert
V
Re: In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 00:08
Bunuel wrote:
In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of the circles shown. If AB = 4, what is the perimeter of the shaded region?

(A) 2π + 4

(B) 4π + 4

(C) 4π + 8

(D) 8π + 8

(E) 8π + 16

Attachment:
2018-03-16_1011_004.png

23. Geometry

24. Coordinate Geometry

25. Triangles

26. Polygons

27. Circles

28. Rectangular Solids and Cylinders

29. Graphs and Illustrations

For other subjects:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 01:14
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 2π + 4

(B) 4π + 4

(C) 4π + 8

(D) 8π + 8

(E) 8π + 16

Attachment:
2018-03-16_1011_004.png

Shaded area = Rectangle - Two quarter circles

AB = 2* Radius of each circle = 4

i.e. Radius of each circle = 2

i.e. Dimensions of rectangle are 4 and 2

Shaded area = 4*2 - 2* (1/4)π2^2

i.e. Shaded Area = 8 - 2π

Perimeter of shaded Region = Circumference of two quarter circles +AB

i.e. Perimeter of shaded region = 2*(1/4)2π*2 + 4 = 2π+4

Answer: option A

P.S. By mistake I first calculated the area of shaded region which I have deleted on purpose so that reader can also understand how to calculate the area of shaded region in the given case

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 01:40
Attachment:
2018-03-16_1011_004.png
2018-03-16_1011_004.png [ 11.16 KiB | Viewed 812 times ]

In order to find the perimeter of the shaded region, we need to know the
length of the two curved portions and add it to the length of AB,which is 4.

Let the radii of the two circles be x and y.
From the above diagram, x+y = 4.

The perimeter of the curved portions can be calculated using the formula
for the length of the sector which is \(\frac{@}{360} * 2 * \pi *\) radius (Here @=90)

Sum of the perimeter(of the curved surfaces) is \(\frac{90}{360} * 2 * \pi * x + \frac{90}{360} * 2 * \pi * y\)

This can be further simplified as \(\frac{1}{4}*2*\pi*(x+y) = \frac{1}{2}*\pi*(4) = 2*\pi\)

Therefore, the perimeter of the shaded region is \(2\pi + 4\) (Option A)

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 00:57

Solution:

Let us assume, the point of contact of both the circles is P.

Perimeter of Shaded region= AB + length of arc AP +length of Arc BP

• \(AB=DC= 4\)

• \(DC= r+ r=2r=4\), where r is the radius of the circle.

• \(r=2\)

Length of Arc AP:

• \(AP= (90/ 360) * 2* π* 2\)

• \(AP= ¼ * 2* π*2\)

• \(AP= π\)

Length of Arc BP:

• Since arc BP also makes an angle of \(900\) at the center and made by the radius=\(2\), the length of arc BP is equal to\(π\).

o Length of arc AP +length of Arc BP= \(π+π= 2π\)

The perimeter of Shaded region=\(4+ 2π\). Hence (A) is the correct answer.

Answer: A

Register for free sessions
Number Properties | Algebra |Quant Workshop

Success Stories
Guillermo's Success Story | Carrie's Success Story

Ace GMAT quant
Articles and Question to reach Q51 | Question of the week

Must Read Articles
Number Properties – Even Odd | LCM GCD | Statistics-1 | Statistics-2
Word Problems – Percentage 1 | Percentage 2 | Time and Work 1 | Time and Work 2 | Time, Speed and Distance 1 | Time, Speed and Distance 2
Advanced Topics- Permutation and Combination 1 | Permutation and Combination 2 | Permutation and Combination 3 | Probability
Geometry- Triangles 1 | Triangles 2 | Triangles 3 | Common Mistakes in Geometry
Algebra- Wavy line | Inequalities

Practice Questions
Number Properties 1 | Number Properties 2 | Algebra 1 | Geometry | Prime Numbers | Absolute value equations | Sets

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
Re: In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 12:28
I am able to establish that you need to find the area of the rectangle and subtract 1/2 the area of the circle, but since we aren't given the radius of the circle I don't understand how this is possible to determine. What am I missing?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 12:40
lostnumber wrote:
I am able to establish that you need to find the area of the rectangle and subtract 1/2 the area of the circle, but since we aren't given the radius of the circle I don't understand how this is possible to determine. What am I missing?

I think solutions above make it clear: we are given that AB = 4.

AB = 2* Radius of each circle, so radius = 2.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 13:01
Bunuel wrote:
lostnumber wrote:

I looked over more carefully and EgmatQuantExpert's answer gave me what I needed with the diagram he included. I did not understand how we knew AB = 2R, but seeing it drawn out it makes sense now. I should have ready more carefully, sorry!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 21:02
[quote="Bunuel"]Image

(A) 2π + 4

(B) 4π + 4

(C) 4π + 8

AB=CD=2*r=4
Hence r =2
Perimeter for 90 curvature is given by =(2*pi*r)*(90/360)
=pi*r/2
Total perimeter for shaded part= AB +2*perimeter of curvature
=4+2pi

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 20:57
lostnumber wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
lostnumber wrote:

I looked over more carefully and EgmatQuantExpert's answer gave me what I needed with the diagram he included. I did not understand how we knew AB = 2R, but seeing it drawn out it makes sense now. I should have ready more carefully, sorry!

We are glad that you identified your mistake and rectified it by yourself.

I want to add some points just to give you some more understanding.

Since AD and BC are the radii of, let's say circle C1 and circle C2.

Hence, D is the centre of C1 and C is the centre of C2. And,
P also extends from the centre of the C1 i.e. D till P, the circumference of C1. Hence It is also the radius of C1.
In the similar fashion, CP is the radius of the circle C2.

I hope this makes things more clear for you.

Register for free sessions
Number Properties | Algebra |Quant Workshop

Success Stories
Guillermo's Success Story | Carrie's Success Story

Ace GMAT quant
Articles and Question to reach Q51 | Question of the week

Must Read Articles
Number Properties – Even Odd | LCM GCD | Statistics-1 | Statistics-2
Word Problems – Percentage 1 | Percentage 2 | Time and Work 1 | Time and Work 2 | Time, Speed and Distance 1 | Time, Speed and Distance 2
Advanced Topics- Permutation and Combination 1 | Permutation and Combination 2 | Permutation and Combination 3 | Probability
Geometry- Triangles 1 | Triangles 2 | Triangles 3 | Common Mistakes in Geometry
Algebra- Wavy line | Inequalities

Practice Questions
Number Properties 1 | Number Properties 2 | Algebra 1 | Geometry | Prime Numbers | Absolute value equations | Sets

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 21:44
1. Find length of the arc
2. 2* length of the arc
3. Add this to length of the AB.
Now length of AB is 4 , hence length of CD=4 . Radius of each circle is CD/2.
Length of the arc = Theta/360 * 2*pi*r , theta here is 90 degrees since ABCD is rectangle
The answer is A

Not Giving UP! Kudos if you like the question :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 07:06
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

We are glad that you identified your mistake and rectified it by yourself.

I want to add some points just to give you some more understanding.

Since AD and BC are the radii of, let's say circle C1 and circle C2.

Hence, D is the centre of C1 and C is the centre of C2. And,
P also extends from the centre of the C1 i.e. D till P, the circumference of C1. Hence It is also the radius of C1.
In the similar fashion, CP is the radius of the circle C2.

I hope this makes things more clear for you.

Based on the information given in the question, is it mathematically necessary that the circles are the same size, or is that an assumption we are making based on the diagram? I remember back in highschool math our teacher would trick us all the time by giving figures the visually looked like they were symetrical or congruent but mathematically weren't. His point was that you can't assume any information not given in the problem. Is there some mathematical reason why these circles could not be different sizes?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 07:08
Actually, I've thought about it, and I realized that they must be the same size because we are told that AD and BC are the radius of the respective circles. Thus we know that points D and C must be the center of the circles and since a rectangle is symmetrical everything must be the same.

But as a larger point, will the GMAT ever ask trick questions such as my highschool math teacher did? IE give a diagram where it looks like something is a 90 degree angle but it isn't, or two figures look like the same size but aren't, etc.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of &nbs [#permalink] 09 Apr 2018, 07:08

In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle and DA and CB are radii of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap