It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the figure above, PQR and STU are identical equilateral triangles,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135363 [0], given: 12691

In the figure above, PQR and STU are identical equilateral triangles, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 09:04
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:14) correct 47% (01:30) wrong based on 940 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the figure above, PQR and STU are identical equilateral triangles, and PQ = 6. What is the perimeter of polygon PQWTUVR?

(1) Triangle SWV has perimeter 9.
(2) VW has length 3.5.

Kudos for a correct solution.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
2015-10-26_2103.png
2015-10-26_2103.png [ 9.81 KiB | Viewed 11890 times ]
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135363 [0], given: 12691

7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [7], given: 26

Re: In the figure above, PQR and STU are identical equilateral triangles, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
In the figure above, PQR and STU are identical equilateral triangles, and PQ = 6. What is the perimeter of polygon PQWTUVR?

(2) VW has length 3.5.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
2015-10-26_2103.png

perimeter of polygon PQWTUVR = twice perimeter of PQR - the perimeter of SWV

We can know the perimeter of PQR and of SWV => Sufficient

(2) VW has length 3.5

We do now know the perimeter of SWV if we just have the length of VW
=> Insufficient

Ans: A

Kudos [?]: 92 [7], given: 26

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 6

Re: In the figure above, PQR and STU are identical equilateral triangles, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In this value-type DS question, we can rephrase this question to ask for the values of WV, SW, and SV.

1) Perimeter of SWV = 9
Even though we don't have the individual values of WV, SW, and SV, this is enough to calculate the perimeter of the polygon: perimeter of the two triangles less the perimeter of SWV = perimeter of polygon. There can only be ONE possible value of the polygon's perimeter.
SUFFICIENT

2) WV = 3.5
We don't have the values of SW and/or SV. We cannot assume that SWV is an equilateral triangle.
Consequently, we are unable to calculate the polygon's perimeter.
INSUFFICIENT

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 07:01
Hi, I have a doubt regarding this question. We are adding the perimeters of triangles pqr and stuff which means the perimeter of triangle swv is getting counted twice. Why do we only subtract perimeter of swv only once from the sum of the perimeters of pqr and stu?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 10:27
I think statement 1 alone is sufficient as the perimeter of polygon PQWTUVR would be length PQ + length QW + length WT + length TU + length UV + length VR
Which can be calculated as perimeter of triangle PQR + perimeter of triangle TSU and since triangle WSV is only a part of TSU we subtract its perimeter.

knowing length VW we still would need to know the other two sides of triangle WSV, for which no information is available in the question and its insufficient to derive the perimeter of triangle WSV which we require to calculate the perimeter of the polygon under consideration as per the above logic.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Strategy, General Management

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 23:54
1. Sufficient !!
Perimeter of the required figure = perimeter of both the triangles - smaller one
= 36-9= 27

2.Insufficient.
Therefore A

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 10

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2016, 10:57
Bunuel wrote:

(2) VW has length 3.5.

Statement 1 says that SW+SV+WV=9. If I put the value of WV=3, the summation of SW and SV will be 6. Suppose SW=3 and SV=3. If SW=3 then WT=3. If SV=3, then VU=3.
I already let WV=3. So, if WV=3, then the summation of QW and VR must be 3. Now let the value QW=1 and VR=2. So, PQ+QW+WT+TU+UV+VR=6+1+3+6+3+2
--> PQ+QW+WT+TU+UV+VR=21
Again,
Let, Statement 1 says that SW+SV+WV=9. If I put the value of WV=2, the summation of SW and SV will be 7. Suppose SW=3 and SV=4. If SW=3 then WT=3. If SV=4, then VU=2.
I already let WV=3. So, if WV=3, then the summation of QW and VR must be 3. Now let the value QW=1 and VR=2. So, PQ+QW+WT+TU+UV+VR=6+1+3+6+2+2
PQ+QW+WT+TU+UV+VR=20.
The statement 1 gives 2 values (like 21 and 20) of the perimeter of this polygon.
Actually, I am confused. Is there any mistake in my calculation or in my understanding?
Thank you.

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 179

Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 73

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2017, 03:05
iMyself wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(2) VW has length 3.5.

Statement 1 says that SW+SV+WV=9. If I put the value of WV=3, the summation of SW and SV will be 6. Suppose SW=3 and SV=3. If SW=3 then WT=3. If SV=3, then VU=3.
I already let WV=3. So, if WV=3, then the summation of QW and VR must be 3. Now let the value QW=1 and VR=2. So, PQ+QW+WT+TU+UV+VR=6+1+3+6+3+2
--> PQ+QW+WT+TU+UV+VR=21
Again,
Let, Statement 1 says that SW+SV+WV=9. If I put the value of WV=2, the summation of SW and SV will be 7. Suppose SW=3 and SV=4. If SW=3 then WT=3. If SV=4, then VU=2.
I already let WV=3. So, if WV=3, then the summation of QW and VR must be 3. Now let the value QW=1 and VR=2. So, PQ+QW+WT+TU+UV+VR=6+1+3+6+2+2
PQ+QW+WT+TU+UV+VR=20.
The statement 1 gives 2 values (like 21 and 20) of the perimeter of this polygon.
Actually, I am confused. Is there any mistake in my calculation or in my understanding?
Thank you.

Hi,

Please check highlighted part; there is an error. Moreover, you need to add the length of PR in both cases.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 73

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 08:56
Purrple wrote:
Hi, I have a doubt regarding this question. We are adding the perimeters of triangles pqr and stuff which means the perimeter of triangle swv is getting counted twice. Why do we only subtract perimeter of swv only once from the sum of the perimeters of pqr and stu?

Am slightly confused. How are we counting perimeter of triangle swv?

perimeter of triangle pqr includes only wv.
perimeter of triangle stv includes st and wv.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 246 [2], given: 73

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
malavika1 wrote:
Purrple wrote:

Hi,

Perimeter of polygon PQWTUVR = PQ + QW + WT + TU + UV + VR + RP --(1)

We know the value of PQ, TU, and RP.

We can write QW + VR = QR - WV --(2)

Similarly,

WT = ST - SW --(3)

UV = US - VS --(4)

Substitute (2), (3), and (4) in equation (1), we have following

Perimeter = PQ + TU + RP + QR + TS + SU - (WV+VS+SW)

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 246 [2], given: 73

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 20:54
Yes that's what I was trying to state. We are not double counting.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 19:55

PQ+ PR+ QR-WV + ST - WS + TU + US- VS

= Perimeter of PQR + STU - perimeter of SWV

Suff.

(2) VW has length 3.5.
What about SW, SV ?
NS.

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 353

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 07:42
Given triangle PQR and STU are identical and equilateral triangle. PQ= 6.
So perimeter of triangle PQR=Perimeter of triangle STU= 18
perimeter of polygon PQWTUVR = perimeter of triangle PQR + perimeter of triangle STU- perimeter of triangle SVW

We already know perimeter of triangle PQR & perimeter of triangle STU. We need to find out perimeter of triangle SVW.

1. first statement provides perimeter of triangle SVW. -- Sufficient
2. second Statement tells only about VW length. What about SW and SV. we do not know SW and SV so we cant find out perimeter of triangle SVW. --- Not Sufficient.

Answer : A

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 353

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Education)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 23:46
pdxyj wrote:
In this value-type DS question, we can rephrase this question to ask for the values of WV, SW, and SV.

1) Perimeter of SWV = 9
Even though we don't have the individual values of WV, SW, and SV, this is enough to calculate the perimeter of the polygon: perimeter of the two triangles less the perimeter of SWV = perimeter of polygon. There can only be ONE possible value of the polygon's perimeter.
SUFFICIENT

2) WV = 3.5
We don't have the values of SW and/or SV. We cannot assume that SWV is an equilateral triangle.
Consequently, we are unable to calculate the polygon's perimeter.
INSUFFICIENT

Thanks !! That was exactly the explanation I was looking for.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Wharton Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 76

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 13:15
perimeter of polygon PQWTUVR = Perimeter of PQR + Perimeter of STU - Perimeter of SWV

1) above equation is solvable with the information given in option 1
2) we are not sure of actual value of SW and SV , as it is not given . It means option 2 is not sufficient.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 76

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 02:29
ganand wrote:
malavika1 wrote:
Purrple wrote:

Hi,

Perimeter of polygon PQWTUVR = PQ + QW + WT + TU + UV + VR + RP --(1)

We know the value of PQ, TU, and RP.

We can write QW + VR = QR - WV --(2)

Similarly,

WT = ST - SW --(3)

UV = US - VS --(4)

Substitute (2), (3), and (4) in equation (1), we have following

Perimeter = PQ + TU + RP + QR + TS + SU - (WV+VS+SW)

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Hi,
Thanks for the same. I believe WV gets only accounted in PQR and SW & SV get accounted only in STU. Hence, no repetition as such. However, if the question had asked us to calculate the area of the same region, then i think it would have got accounted twice. What would be our approach in that case?
Thanks.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 564

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
In the figure above, PQR and STU are identical equilateral triangles, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 03:24
Bunuel wrote:

(2) VW has length 3.5.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
2015-10-26_2103.png

The answer is A
This is a tricky problem
Statement 1 gives the perimeter of the smaller triangle formed by the intersection of the two identical triangle .
We do not know what kind of triangle is the smaller triangle .
Now we know that the two big triangle are identical so calculate the perimeter of the two triangle .
Notice that to compute the perimeter of the polygon we have subtract the perimeter of the smaller triangle from the perimeter of the two triangle .
Hence sufficient

Statement 2 is insufficient as we do not know what kind of triangle is the smaller triangle .
Merely giving us a side length will not help us to compute the perimeter of the polygon

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 564

In the figure above, PQR and STU are identical equilateral triangles,   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2017, 03:24

In the figure above, PQR and STU are identical equilateral triangles,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap