Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Geometryx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [138]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [20]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, segments RS and TU represent two positions of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Option D.Each is sufficient.
Using basic trigo:
From S1: TU=RS=10 mts.
cos 45=TV/TU (cos 45=1/sqrt2 and TU=10)
We can find TV
And cos 60=RV/RS (cos 60=1/2 and RS=10
We can find RV
The diff can be found out.Sufficient.

From S2: RV=5
We can find RS and TU by the same trigo formula-cos (angle)=Base/Hypotenuse
Then the diff between TV and RV can be found out.Sufficient.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, segments RS and TU represent two positions of the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
HI All,

This is a great "pattern matching" question, in that if you recognize what you're looking at, you won't need to do ANY math to get to the correct answer.

It doesn't take much to recognize the 30/60/90 and 45/45/90 right triangles in the drawing. The "key" to the shortcut is that we're told that that RS and TU are the SAME length - in math terms, this means that the hypotenuse of those two triangles is the SAME. By extension, if you know the length of ANY of the sides in EITHER of the triangles, then you can figure out EVERY side length in that drawing.

If you recognize this pattern, then dealing with the two Facts won't take much time or effort at all.

As an aside on the prior post in this thread, the GMAT will NEVER ask you a question that requires Trigonometry to solve it, so you do NOT need to know any Trig rules for this test.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [4]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
The most important point is here the word "THE SAME LADDER !!!" - missed it at the begining, but then could easily solve.. all other things in this question are just using known formulas for two particular triangles.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 417
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
How have we determined that RS=TU? Bunuel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sadikabid27 wrote:
How have we determined that RS=TU? Bunuel

We are told that "RS and TU represent two positions of the SAME ladder", so line segments RS and TU are representing the SAME ladder just positioned in two different ways.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [2]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 490 Q44 V15
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GRE 1: Q165 V155
GPA: 3.05
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
"SAME LADDER" is the killer term here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Bunuel VeritasKarishma

If "same" ladder was not mentioned, could we have still arrived at the same conclusion ?

If not, what would be the correct answer then ?

Please throw some light.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
deepajain90 wrote:
Bunuel VeritasKarishma

If "same" ladder was not mentioned, could we have still arrived at the same conclusion ?

If not, what would be the correct answer then ?

Please throw some light.

The same ladder means the hypotenuses are the same.
The two triangles are 45-45-90 and 30-60-90.
So for either triangle, if you know any one side's measure, you know the measure of all sides of that triangle.
Stmnt 1 gives one side of TUV so you know all sides of TUV. Since hypotenuse lengths are the same, you know all sides of RSV too and hence stmnt 1 alone is sufficient.
If the two hypotenuse were not equal, you would not know the length of sides of RSV.
Same logic applies to stmnt 2 too.

Hence, in that case, instead of (D), answer would be (C) since you would need both statements.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
In the figure above, segments RS and TU represent two positions of the [#permalink]
Hi avigutman -

If ABC is a non right angled triangle with fixed angles - 20 | 35 | 125 degree

1) You are given the length of one side (say 15 meters) -- are the lengths of the 2 other sides non-negiotiable ?

I think if ABC is a non right angled triangle instead with fixed angles - 35 | 55 | 90 degree

1) If you are given the length of one side (say 15 meters) -- the lengths of the 2 sides are non-negiotiable (i think)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi avigutman -

1) You are given the length of one side (say 15 meters) -- are the lengths of the 2 other sides non-negiotiable ?

I think if ABC is a non right angled triangle instead with fixed angles - 35 | 55 | 90 degree

1) If you are given the length of one side (say 15 meters) -- the lengths of the 2 sides are non-negiotiable (i think)

jabhatta2 the three angles of a triangle fully determine the ratio of the three sides.
This is why triangles that have the same three angles are always similar shapes.
This is true regardless of whether one of the angles happens to be 90 degrees.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
In the figure above, segments RS and TU represent two positions of the [#permalink]
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi avigutman -

jabhatta2 the three angles of a triangle fully determine the ratio of the three sides.
This is why triangles that have the same three angles are always similar shapes.

Thanks avigutman - i think what you are implying is if angle SVR was NOT 90 degrees in the original question -- one can select D as the answer without pen and paper ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
avigutman wrote:
the three angles of a triangle fully determine the ratio of the three sides.

Thanks avigutman - i think what you are implying is if angle SVR was NOT 90 degrees -- one can select D as the answer ?

jabhatta2 In this hypothetical, is SVR known? If so, then yes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
Ans D
The key to the answer is to understand that SR and TU are 2 different positions of the same ladder and hence SR=TU
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts