GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 20:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the given diagram, the circle touches the y-axis at the point K who

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
In the given diagram, the circle touches the y-axis at the point K who  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2020, 02:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

91% (01:39) correct 9% (02:48) wrong based on 80 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the given diagram, the circle touches the y-axis at the point K whose coordinate is (0,7). If the area of triangle CKO is 21 units^2, where C is the centre of the circle, find the area of the circle.

A. 16π
B. 21π
C. 24π
D. 36π
E. 49π

Project PS Butler

Subscribe to get Daily Email - Click Here | Subscribe via RSS - RSS

Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 15.99 KiB | Viewed 814 times ]

G
Re: In the given diagram, the circle touches the y-axis at the point K who  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2020, 02:57
Explanation:
Triangle CKO will be right angle triangle.
With Base as CK (which also radius of circle), Height as KO = 7
Area of Triangle = 21
1/2 x B X H = 21
1/2 x B x 7 =21
B = 6
Radius 6
Area of circle = πr^2 = 36π

IMO-D
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Re: In the given diagram, the circle touches the y-axis at the point K who  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2020, 07:23
IMO-D

Area of triangle is =1/2*b*h
Here height is given=7
Area=21
21=1/2*7*b
B=6
Base is equal to radius of circle

Area of circle =pi r^2
=36 pi

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
In the given diagram, the circle touches the y-axis at the point K who  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2020, 04:44
Bunuel wrote:
In the given diagram, the circle touches the y-axis at the point K whose coordinate is (0,7). If the area of triangle CKO is 21 units^2, where C is the centre of the circle, find the area of the circle.

A. 16π
B. 21π
C. 24π
D. 36π
E. 49π

Area of triangle =\( \frac{1}{2}*b*h\)

\(21 =\frac{1}{2}* radius * height \)

\(21=\frac{1}{2}*r*7\)

r=6

Area of circle= \(πr^2\) = \(π*6^2\)=36π

IMO D
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2020, 20:41
Hi Bunuel,

What does "...area of triangle CKO is 21 units^2" mean? I read 21 units^2 as \(21^2\) and couldn't solve the problem. I got confused by the ^2. Is there any purpose of it, or is it a mistake? Many thanks!
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2020, 23:30
durden700 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

What does "...area of triangle CKO is 21 units^2" mean? I read 21 units^2 as \(21^2\) and couldn't solve the problem. I got confused by the ^2. Is there any purpose of it, or is it a mistake? Many thanks!

"Unit" there is some measurement of length, and unit^2 is measurement of the area. The same way, for example, as "meter" is a measurement of length, and meter^2 is measurement of the area.
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2020, 00:09
Bunuel wrote:
durden700 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

"Unit" there is some measurement of length, and unit^2 is measurement of the area. The same way, for example, as "meter" is a measurement of length, and meter^2 is measurement of the area.

That makes perfect sense. I didn't realize it. Of course - it's squared as it refers to the area. \(Unit * unit = unit^2\). :facepalm_man: Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the given diagram, the circle touches the y-axis at the point K who   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2020, 00:09

In the given diagram, the circle touches the y-axis at the point K who

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics