GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     11:00 AM PST

    Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50617
In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 08:53
1
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:02) correct 46% (00:53) wrong based on 188 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

a, b, c, d, e

In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean is c. Which of the following changes to the list would necessarily increase the standard deviation?

A. Increase the value of b by 20%
B. Add the values (c + 3) and (c – 3) to the list
C. Add 10 to each value in the list
D. Multiply each value by -5
E. Divide each value by 2

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Expert Reply
CEO
CEO
User avatar
P
Status: GMATINSIGHT Tutor
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Posts: 2700
Location: India
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 10:27
2
2
Bunuel wrote:
a, b, c, d, e

In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean is c. Which of the following changes to the list would necessarily increase the standard deviation?

A. Increase the value of b by 20%
B. Add the values (c + 3) and (c – 3) to the list
C. Add 10 to each value in the list
D. Multiply each value by -5
E. Divide each value by 2


Standard deviation INCREASES when the gap among values of the set increase.

A) Increase in value of b may not necessarily increase rather it may decrease the standard deviation if increased value of b becomes closer to mean
B) Adding these two values in list may decrease the standard deviation if it was already greater than 3
C) addition or subtraction of a constant in each element doesn't change the standard deviation as the deviation among terms remain constant
D) the gap among terms will also get multiplied by -5 and hence since deviation. Becomes 5 times so the standard deviation will definitely increase.

Answer Option D
_________________

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

General Discussion
Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Mar 2016
Posts: 522
Reviews Badge
Re: In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 10:18
luks like A...

B-- the two value c+3 and c-3 will shrink the SD because both add up the same value to average as c
C-- no change in SD
D-- SD goes down by 5%
E-- SD gets divided by 2..


must be A
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1069
Re: In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 05:47
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
a, b, c, d, e

In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean is c. Which of the following changes to the list would necessarily increase the standard deviation?

A. Increase the value of b by 20%
B. Add the values (c + 3) and (c – 3) to the list
C. Add 10 to each value in the list
D. Multiply each value by -5
E. Divide each value by 2


Standard deviation INCREASES when the gap among values of the set increase.

A) Increase in value of b may not necessarily increase rather it may decrease the standard deviation if increased value of b becomes closer to mean
B) Adding these two values in list may decrease the standard deviation if it was already greater than 3
C) addition or subtraction of a constant in each element doesn't change the standard deviation as the deviation among terms remain constant
D) the gap among terms will also get multiplied by -5 and hence since deviation. Becomes 5 times so the standard deviation will definitely increase.

Answer Option D



Hello GMATinsight, nice explanation :) could you please provide examples for all options if you dont mind ? :-)
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Sep 2018
Posts: 137
CAT Tests
Re: In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 22:22
2
This problem showcases a few important properties related to standard deviation. Since standard deviation deals heavily with the average distance between the data points and the mean, several rules apply for how changing all terms in a set will affect the standard deviation:
Quote:
If all terms are multiplied by a constant with an absolute value greater than 1, the standard deviation will increase. Consider the set 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. If all terms were multiplied by -5 (as correct answer choice D suggests), the terms would then be -5, -10, -15, -20, and -25. Notice that they are now much more spread out around the new mean (distances of 10, 5, 0, 5, and 10 as opposed to previously, 2, 1, 0, 1, and 2). Multiplying by an absolute value greater than 1 spreads the data points out farther, increasing the standard deviation
Quote:
If all the terms are divided by a constant with an absolute value greater than 1, the standard deviation will decrease. Consider that same sample set of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. If you divide each term by 2 as answer choice E suggests, you'll end up with 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, and 2.5. The values are closer together, showing that the standard deviation has decreased.
Quote:
if you add or subtract a constant to each term (as choice C suggests), the standard deviation will not change. You've simply shifted the set, but you haven't changed the distance between each value and the mean. Consider performing the suggested operation from choice C to the sample list. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 becomes 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. The new mean is 13, but the distances stay the same (2, 1, 0, 1, 2).
Quote:
Among the other choices, choice A is incorrect because you do not know where on the number line b is in relation to the mean. If increasing it by 20% gets it closer to the mean, the variance would decrease; if it moves it farther, the variance would increase.
Quote:
And choice B is incorrect because you don't know how the other terms relate to c. If they're spread very far apart (1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, for example) then adding two new values only three apart from the mean will substantially decrease the standard deviation. But if they're already very close to the mean (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5) then the two new terms (-2.3 and 4.3) would be the outliers, spreading the data farther apart.


The correct answer is D.
_________________

Please award :thumbup: kudos, If this post helped you in someway. :student_man:

CEO
CEO
User avatar
P
Status: GMATINSIGHT Tutor
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Posts: 2700
Location: India
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 22:33
1
dave13 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
a, b, c, d, e

In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean is c. Which of the following changes to the list would necessarily increase the standard deviation?

A. Increase the value of b by 20%
B. Add the values (c + 3) and (c – 3) to the list
C. Add 10 to each value in the list
D. Multiply each value by -5
E. Divide each value by 2


Standard deviation INCREASES when the gap among values of the set increase.

A) Increase in value of b may not necessarily increase rather it may decrease the standard deviation if increased value of b becomes closer to mean
B) Adding these two values in list may decrease the standard deviation if it was already greater than 3
C) addition or subtraction of a constant in each element doesn't change the standard deviation as the deviation among terms remain constant
D) the gap among terms will also get multiplied by -5 and hence since deviation. Becomes 5 times so the standard deviation will definitely increase.

Answer Option D



Hello GMATinsight, nice explanation :) could you please provide examples for all options if you dont mind ? :-)


dave13 There you go

Standard deviation INCREASES when the gap among values of the set increase.

A) Increase in value of b may not necessarily increase rather it may decrease the standard deviation if increased value of b becomes closer to mean
In Set {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} if b i.e. 2 is increased by 20% the new set becomes {1, 2.4, 3, 4, 5} and the standard deviation of the new set is less than standard deviation of previous set


B) Adding these two values in list may decrease the standard deviation if it was already greater than 3
In Set {100, 200, 300, 400, 500} if (c-3) and (c+3) are included then the new set becomes {100, 200, 297, 300, 303, 400, 500} and the standard deviation of the new set is less than standard deviation of previous set

C) addition or subtraction of a constant in each element doesn't change the standard deviation as the deviation among terms remain constant
In Set {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} if a constant 2 is added in each term of the set then the new set becomes {3, 4, 5, 6, 7} and the standard deviation of the new set is is same as the standard deviation of previous set

D) the gap among terms will also get multiplied by -5 and hence since deviation. Becomes 5 times so the standard deviation will definitely increase.
In Set {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} if -5 is multiplied in each term of the set then the new set becomes {-5, -10, -15, -20, -25} and the standard deviation of the new set is GREATER than standard deviation of previous set as the gap between successive terms is becomes five times greater which is determinant of the standard deviation


I hope this helps!!!
_________________

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

GMAT Club Bot
In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean &nbs [#permalink] 25 Sep 2018, 22:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the list of different positive numbers above, the arithmetic mean

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.