Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 16:48 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 16:48
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [18]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the multiplication problem above, A, B, and C represent distinct [#permalink]
A and B have to be a non-negative integer --> distinct digit
The fact that the question shows you the multiplication in a vertical display gives you a strong hint on how to solve it.
Neither A nor B can be zero --> B=0 then the product is 0, A=0 -->b=5 2A*B=100
Hence A,B are between 1-9
Using a vertical multiplication (which yields the same result as a horizontal multiplication, just a matter of convenience) the product of the factors' unit digits equals to the unit digit of their product.
If the product is lower then 10 then it only has a unit digit.
That is the case here as the sum of the two factors (in this case A+B) equals 5 and they are both<>0.
Therefore A*B=C
For the same reason the tens digit is equal to B*2
Hence 2*B=C
The third equation is given
A+B=5

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the multiplication problem above, A, B, and C represent distinct [#permalink]
One thing I didn't simplify
A and B are between 1-9. since thier sum is 5 then they are between 1-4
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 67722 [4]
Given Kudos: 438
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Impenetrable wrote:
__2A
x__B
____
CC

In the multiplication problem above, A, B, and C represent distinct digits. If the sum of A and B is equal to 5, what is the value of C?

No idea how to solve this, I think I do not understand the question!

The letters are placeholders for some specific digits. You need to plug in digits for the letters such that the multiplication relation holds. Also, a letter stands for the same digit in each occurrence i.e. the product is CC means both the digits of the product are the same.

In such questions, it is sometimes a good idea to look at the overall picture. A two digit number starting with 2 is multiplied by a single digit number to give CC i.e. 00 or 11 or 22 or 33 or 44 or 55 or 66 or 77 or 88 or 99
The only numbers out of these which can be obtained by multiplying 2A by B are 00 (If B = 0 but B and C must be distinct) or 22 (If A = 2 and B = 1 but A, B and C must be distinct), 44 (If A = 2 and B = 2 but again, A, B and C must be distinct) or 66 (If A = 2 and B = 3. Also, A + B = 5 so condition satisfied. This must be the answer.)

The multiplication will look like this:
__22
x__3
____
_66

Answer (A)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
WE:Advertising (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I solved this using algebra.
We are given:
AxB=C
& 2xB=C
& A+B=5
This yields to the following equation: (5-B)xB=2B --> 5B-B^2-2B=0 --> B(B-3)=0, hence B=0 or B=3
B can't be 0 because then C should be 0 and 0 isn't in the answer choices. B must be 3, A is then 2 and C is 6.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Hello Bunuel

Please I didn't get this question. if A= 2 and B= 3 the result will be 12 how did we concluded that c=6?

Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 654396 [0]
Given Kudos: 87117
Send PM
Expert Reply
fahdman wrote:
2A * B = CC

In the multiplication problem above, A, B, and C represent distinct digits. If the sum of A and B is equal to 5, what is the value of C?

A. 6
B. 5
C. 4
D. 3
E. 2

Hello Bunuel

Please I didn't get this question. if A= 2 and B= 3 the result will be 12 how did we concluded that c=6?

Thanks.

­
If A = 2 and B = 3, we get 22 * 3 = 66, not 12
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Bunuel. thanks for the reply.

Then, I think it is A*A not 2 A?

Best.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 654396 [1]
Given Kudos: 87117
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fahdman wrote:
Bunuel. thanks for the reply.

Then, I think it is A*A not 2 A?

Best.

­
2A there implies a two-digir number, where 2 is the tens digit and A is the units digit. The same for CC, it's a two-digir number, where both the tens digit and the units digit are C.­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
95291 posts