GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the preceding figure, what is the perimeter of ∆ABC inscribed withi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
In the preceding figure, what is the perimeter of ∆ABC inscribed withi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 11:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:40) correct 21% (01:19) wrong based on 101 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Manager
Manager
Re: In the preceding figure, what is the perimeter of ∆ABC inscribed withi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 11:04
Because the triangle is inscribed in a semicircle, we can see that the radius of the circle is 3 and the diameter is 6. Points A and C will have coordinates (0,3) and (0,-3) respectively. Therefore the long side of the triangle is 6.

The two short sides of the triangle each form a smaller right isosceles triangle. \(\triangle\)AOB and \(\triangle\)COB. The ratio of lengths of a right isosceles triangle are \(1:1:\sqrt{2}\). So the lengths of our triangles are \(3:3:3\sqrt{2}\)

So the total perimeter of the large triangle is \(6+ 2*3\sqrt{2} = 6+6\sqrt {2}\)

Answer D

Alternatively, we could consider the large triangle, which is also an isosceles right triangle with short sides = x and hypotenuse = 6. Then with the same \(1:1:\sqrt{2}\) ratio, our triangle has side lengths x:x:6. \(x\sqrt{2} = 6\)

\(x=\frac{6}{\sqrt{2}} = 3\sqrt{2}\)

Again the perimeter is \(6+ 2*3\sqrt{2} = 6+6\sqrt {2}\)
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
In the preceding figure, what is the perimeter of ∆ABC inscribed withi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 11:27
Bunuel wrote:
In the preceding figure, what is the perimeter of ∆ABC inscribed within the semicircle with center O?

A. 9
B. \(6 + 3 \sqrt{2}\)
C. \(9 + 3 \sqrt{3}\)
D. \(6 + 6 \sqrt{2}\)
E. \(12 \sqrt{2}\)

Attachment:
2016-01-17_2250.png

This question is tailormade for approximations and not employing any particular formulae.

The triangle in inscribed inside the semicircle. Thus the perimeter of the triangle will be just less than (half circumference of the circle + 2r)

----> Perimeter of triangle < \(3\pi+2r\) ---> P< 9+6 ---> P < 15 (assuming \(\pi \approx\)3)

Analyse the options keeping in mind \(\sqrt{2}=1.4\) and \(\sqrt{3} =1.7\)

A. 9 . Too small. Eliminate.
B. \(6 + 3 \sqrt{2}\). 10. Too small. Eliminate.
C. \(9 + 3 \sqrt{3}\). 14. Relatively small. Eliminate.
D. \(6 + 6 \sqrt{2}\). \(\approx\) 14.4. This should be it.
E. \(12 \sqrt{2}\). 18. Too large. Eliminate.

In order to eliminate 1 out of C and D, I went with which one will you get out of \(\sqrt{2}\)or \(\sqrt{3}\). You can get \(\sqrt{2}\) as one of the multipliers as triangle ABC is an iscosceles traingle while for getting \(\sqrt{3}\), you need to have the 30-60-90 triangle which is not the case in this question.

D is thus the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: In the preceding figure, what is the perimeter of ∆ABC inscribed withi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 10:42
AO=OB=radious = 3 units
So from from Right angle triangle , height and base are equal in length.
So ABO=45 Degree
Similarly , Angle CBO=45 Dgree
So, the angle ABC is a right angle and triangle ABC is a right angle triangle with its base and height =3\sqrt{2}
so paremeter = 2x3\sqrt{2}+6

Hence Answer is D
Retired Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 12:53
AC = Diameter = 6
AO = OB = AC = 3
AB and AC = 3sqrt2 (using Pythagoras theorem)

Perimeter = 6 + 2*3sqrt2 = 6 + 6sqrt2
Option D is the correct answer.

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 17:30
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In the preceding figure, what is the perimeter of ∆ABC inscribed withi   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2019, 17:30

In the preceding figure, what is the perimeter of ∆ABC inscribed withi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics