GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the x-y coordinate plane, what is the minimum distance between a po

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
In the x-y coordinate plane, what is the minimum distance between a po [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 04:26
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:23) correct 43% (01:01) wrong based on 147 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the x-y coordinate plane, what is the minimum distance between a point on line L and a point on line M?

(1) The absolute value of the difference between the y-intercepts of the two lines is 4.
(2) The absolute values of the slopes of the two lines are both equal to 2.

Kudos for a correct solution.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
Re: In the x-y coordinate plane, what is the minimum distance between a po [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 06:54
First thing to say is that if we got 2 parallel lines - distance between them will be constant (and thus minimal will be equal to an actual distance between 2 lines), on the other hand if lines intersect - the minimal distance is 0.
#1 doesn't prevent us from choosing either parallel lines (y1 = x +2, y2 = x + 6) or those that intersect (y1 = 2x + 2, y2 = x + 6) which gives us respectively an answer less than 4 in the former case (gotta solve that right triangle) or 0 in the latter. Insufficient
#2 same thing : either (y1 = 2x and y2 = 2x+1) or (y1 = -2x and y2 = 2x+1) in the first case distance is abit less than 1, in second case - 0. Insufficient
#1 +#2 doesn't change anything coz u can just substitute 1 to 4 in the example for #2 - insufficient

Answer ends up being E
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.21
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: In the x-y coordinate plane, what is the minimum distance between a po [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:
In the x-y coordinate plane, what is the minimum distance between a point on line L and a point on line M?

(1) The absolute value of the difference between the y-intercepts of the two lines is 4.

The question stem asks us if we can provide a single specific value for the minimum distance between line L and line M. To do this we will need to know the equations of the lines to determine where this exact point will be.

1) There is no information regarding the slopes of the line therefore we are unable to generate equations that we can for sure claim that these lines follow - Not Sufficient.
2) There is no information on an intercept or fixed point on the line for us to use as reference for the slope and the slopes could be either +2 or -2 as we only know the absolute value giving us no indicator of the exact formulas that these lines follow - Not Sufficient.

Together - Together we will still not have an indication of what the exact slopes of the lines will be so we will still not have sufficient information to answer the original question posed.

Select answer choice E.

Please pass me a +KUDOS if you liked my post! Thanks!

Do not compare yourself to others, compare yourself to who you were yesterday.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
I'm simply guessing, yet again.

(I) Tells us that there's a distance of 4 between the intercepts at X=0. Not sufficient as the slope might not be equal (in which case the distance is constant).

(II) Tells us that the slope is either 2 or -2 for the both. If both are negative, then we could answer the question because the distance would be 4. If both are different, then they will intersect and then it would be 0.

As several possible options are available, the answer should be E.

I love being wrong. An incorrect answer offers an extraordinary opportunity to improve.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
I am slightly tempted to take the Option E. I know bunuel's questions are never easy.

My though process.

1. The absolute difference between the Y intercept of the lines is 4. The lines can be parallel or even the slant lines(having slope). Not sufficient.

2. The absolute value of the slopes of the lines is 2.

The absolute of a number has two forms + and -

Lets say One line is Y=2x+1 and another line Y=-2x+6; (Testing one positive and one negative; Lines interesect)

Lets say one line is Y=2x+1 and another line is Y= 2x+6; (Testing both positive; Parallel lines; Distance same.

Lets say one line is Y=-2x+1 and another line is Y=-2x+6 (Testing both slopes negative; Parallel lines;Distance same)

Both options together,

Y= 2x+3; Y= -2x-1 (interesecting lines)

Y=2x+0; Y=-2x-4

Y=2x+2 ; Y=2x-2 (parallel lines)

Hence My choice is E.

Bunuel wrote:

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 18:55
This post received
KUDOS
Statement (I) just means that at the y-axis, these two lines are 4 units apart, but tells us nothing about the slope. They could be perpendicular lines (min distance 0, where they intersect) or parallel lines (constant distance of 4). Not sufficient.

Statement (II) tells us that the slopes are either 2 or -2, though not necessarily which is which. Again, we could have parallel lines or intersecting lines. Not sufficient.

Statement (I) + (II) still do not tell us if the lines are parallel or intersecting, yielding possible answers of 4 or 0. Not sufficient.

E is the answer.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 05:04
Bunuel wrote:

MANHATTAN GMAT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Imagine two lines in a plane. Either they cross, or they don’t. If they cross, then the “minimum distance” between a point on one line and a point on the other is zero (because you can pick the same point for both lines, namely the intersection point).

If the lines don’t cross, then they’re parallel to each other, and the minimum distance between a point on one line and a point on the other line is what you normally think of as the distance between two parallel lines – go “straight across the street” from one line to the other.

Statement 1: NOT SUFFICIENT. One line goes through the y-axis at a point 4 units away from where the second line goes through the y-axis. However, you have no idea whether these lines cross each other somewhere else, so there’s no way to know the minimum distance between a point on one line and a point on the other.

Statement 2: NOT SUFFICIENT. The lines could both have slope 2 (and therefore be parallel), they could both have slope -2 (and also be parallel), or one could have slope 2 and the other could have slope -2 (in which case they would cross). We don’t know whether the lines cross or not, so again, we can’t know the minimum distance between the points.

Statements 1 & 2 together: STILL NOT SUFFICIENT. Even together, the statements don’t narrow down the cases sufficiently. If one line has slope -2 and y­-intercept of 4, while the other line has slope 2 and y-intercept of 0, then the lines will cross and the minimum distance between them is zero. But if the two lines both have slope -2 (and the respective intercepts), then the minimum distance between them is not zero.

The correct answer is E .

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
In the x-y coordinate plane, what is the minimum distance between a po [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 19:52
Bunuel wrote:

took me some time to double check and visualize...
1. distance between interceptors is 4 units. suppose we have 2 parallel horizontal lines. the distance is always 4. but if the lines intersect each other, then the minimum distance is 0.
2. slope is either positive 2, or negative 2. we can have 2 parallel lines, or we can have 2 intersecting lines. not sufficient.

1+2 we can have parallel lines or we can have two intersecting lines.

E
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 13:55
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: In the x-y coordinate plane, what is the minimum distance between a po   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2017, 13:55

In the x-y coordinate plane, what is the minimum distance between a po

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap