GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2019, 03:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 72
In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2009, 07:27
2
39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:59) correct 42% (02:29) wrong based on 431 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,5). If a point (x,y) is selected at random from the triangular region, What is the probability that x-y>0 ?

A. 1/5
B. 1/3
C. 1/2
D. 2/3
E. 4/5
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59727
In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2009, 08:35
10
15
Check other Probability and Geometry questions in our Special Questions Directory.

GEOMETRY: Shaded Region Problems!

22. Probability



For more:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread


Hope it helps.
_________________
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2009
Posts: 107
Location: Manchester UK
In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2009, 08:09
5
31
In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,5). If a point (x,y) is selected at random from the triangular region, What is the probability that x-y>0 ?

A. 1/5
B. 1/3
C. 1/2
D. 2/3
E. 4/5
General Discussion
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59727
In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2009, 07:50
11
11
In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,5). If a point (x,y) is selected at random from the triangular region, What is the probability that x-y>0 ?

A. 1/5
B. 1/3
c. 1/2
D. 2/3
E. 4/5

Image

We have right triangle with the area = 4*5/2 = 10. Consider the line y<x. All the points which satisfy this equation (are below the line y = x) and lie in the triangular region obviously will have x more than y, which is exactly what we want (as x > y --> x - y > 0).

The probability that the point will be from this region is: (Area of this region)/(Area of the triangle).

Favorable region is also right triangle with vertexes at (0,0) (0,4) and (4,4). As y = x intersects the side of our original triangle at the point (4,4). You''ll see it easily if you draw it. So favorable area = 4*4/2 = 8.

\(P=\frac{8}{10}=\frac{4}{5}\).

Answer: E.

Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 13.33 KiB | Viewed 11641 times ]

_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 72
In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2009, 09:31
Bunuel wrote:

We have right triangle with the area=4*5/2=10. Consider the line y<x. All the points which satisfy this equation (are below the line y=x) and lie in the triangular region obviously will have x more than y, which is exactly what we want (as x>y --> x-y>0).

The probability that the point will be from this region is: Area of this region/Area of the triangle.

Favorable region is also right triangle with vertexes at (0,0) (0,4) and (4,4). As y=x intersects the side of our original triangle at the point (4,4). You''ll see it easily if you draw it. So favorable are=4*4/2=8.

P=8/10=4/5

Answer: E.


If i go by the way u say....
shouldn't the probability be <4/5?

probability = area of region where x-y>0 / total are of region = x/0.5*4*5 = x/10

point (4,4) is where x-y=0. point(4, <4) is where x-y>0.

x = 0.5 * 4*(<4) = <8 hence x/10 = <8/10 = <4/5


the point here is that to get 4/5 you would have to take the region where x and y = 4 in which case x-y is not >0. any value of y below 4 would give x-y>0 hence the probability should be less than 4/5...I dont think you can place an exact value on the probability as x and y can be decimals...
GMAT Tutor
avatar
G
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1829
Re: In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2009, 12:26
2
apoorvasrivastva wrote:

Also if i go by the way u say....
shouldn't the probability be <4/5?

probability = area of region where x-y>0 / total are of region = x/0.5*4*5 = x/10

point (4,4) is where x-y=0. point(4, <4) is where x-y>0.

x = 0.5 * 4*(<4) = <8 hence x/10 = <8/10 = <4/5


the point here is that to get 4/5 you would have to take the region where x and y = 4 in which case x-y is not >0. any value of y below 4 would give x-y>0 hence the probability should be less than 4/5...I dont think you can place an exact value on the probability as x and y can be decimals...


I responded to this same post on BTG, but I'll paste that here:

To respond specifically to the concern above: the answer is still exactly 4/5, regardless of whether the question says x-y > 0 or x-y > 0. Note that the region where x-y=0 is just the line x=y; its area is zero. So you can subtract its area in your calculation if you like, but it won't change the answer.
_________________
GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 1795
Re: In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2009, 15:39
apoorvasrivastva wrote:
In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,5). If a point (x,y) is selected at random from the triangular region, What is the probabilty that x-y>0 ?

A. 1/5
B. 1/3
c. 1/2
D. 2/3
E. 4/5

I am getting 3/5 as the answer..please explain the reasoning..

OA is 4/5


x - y > 0 or x > y is possible below the line x = y in the given triangle / co-ordinate system. i.e. the area below x = y line in the triangle is the prob that x>y. So draw a line from origin to the point (4, 4). This makes a triangle with vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,4).

Given triangle with vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,5) has an area of 10.
The area of the triangle with vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,4) is 8.

Area of new triangle/Area of the original triangle = 8/10 = 4/5. This is the prob that x>y.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59727
Re: In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2009, 15:48
GMAT TIGER wrote:
x - y > 0 or x > y is possible below the line x = y in the given triangle / co-ordinate system. i.e. the area below x = y line in the given triangle is the prob that x>y. So draw a line from origin to the point (4, 4). This line makes a triangle with vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,4).

Given triangle with vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,5) has an area of 20.
The area of the triangle with vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,4) is 16.

Area of new triangle/Area of the original triangle = 16/20 = 4/5. This is the prob that x>y.


Areas are 10 and 8 accordingly. You forgot to divide by 2 in both cases. Though it didn't affect the final answer.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 397
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the xy- plane,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2013, 01:31
1
sagarsabnis wrote:
In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,5). If a point (x,y) is selected at random from the triangular region, What is the probability that x-y>0 ?

A. 1/5
B. 1/3
c. 1/2
D. 2/3
E. 4/5

please help with this one.


My approach is to use the x=y line which is the boundary that divides x>y and x<y coordinate system. Below the x=y line is the region of points with x > y. Above the x=y line is the region of points with x < y.

Get the area of the given triangle: (4)(5) / 2 = 10
Get the area of the smaller triangle drawn below the line x=y which has (0,0), (4,0) and (4,4) for its coordinates: (4)(4)/2 = 8

P = 8/10 = 4/5

Answer: E

Detailed Solution: Line x=y as a Boundary
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 64
Re: In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2013, 14:55
16
3
See attached drawing.

The probability will be the area of the dark triangle divided by the area of the original triangle:

Area dark triangle (where X>Y is true): \(\frac{1}{2}*4*4\)

Area original triangle: \(\frac{1}{2}*4*5\)

\(Probability=\frac{(0.5*4*4)}{(0.5*4*5)}=\frac{4}{5}\)

Solution E
Attachments

File comment: Drawing resolution
Drawing resolution.jpg
Drawing resolution.jpg [ 13.41 KiB | Viewed 13376 times ]

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Re: In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2013, 08:55
1
johnwesley wrote:
See attached drawing.

The probability will be the area of the dark triangle divided by the area of the original triangle:

Area dark triangle (where X>Y is true): \(\frac{1}{2}*4*4\)

Area original triangle: \(\frac{1}{2}*4*5\)

\(Probability=\frac{(0.5*4*4)}{(0.5*4*5)}=\frac{4}{5}\)

Solution E


What about (4,4)? that is in the shaded region, but is not greater than 0 (or algebraically x=4 is not greater than y=4)?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59727
Re: In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2013, 08:47
perilm41 wrote:
johnwesley wrote:
See attached drawing.

The probability will be the area of the dark triangle divided by the area of the original triangle:

Area dark triangle (where X>Y is true): \(\frac{1}{2}*4*4\)

Area original triangle: \(\frac{1}{2}*4*5\)

\(Probability=\frac{(0.5*4*4)}{(0.5*4*5)}=\frac{4}{5}\)

Solution E


What about (4,4)? that is in the shaded region, but is not greater than 0 (or algebraically x=4 is not greater than y=4)?


A point by definition has no length, area or any other dimension, thus this won't affect the answer.

Check this discussion for more: a-5-meter-long-wire-is-cut-into-two-pieces-if-the-longer-106448.html
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 27
Re: In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2013, 00:10
Bunuel wrote:
Favorable region is also right triangle with vertexes at (0,0) (0,4) and (4,4).
Answer: E.


Hi Bunuel,

Since we have to select a point within the given triangular region formed by (0,0(, (4,0) and (4,5), isn't the favorable region formed by (0,0), (4,4) and (4,5)?
If not, kindly clarify how the vertexes for favorable region would be (0,0) (0,4) and (4,4).
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 7332
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2013, 14:15
Jaisri wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
Since we have to select a point within the given triangular region formed by (0,0(, (4,0) and (4,5), isn't the favorable region formed by (0,0), (4,4) and (4,5)?
If not, kindly clarify how the vertexes for favorable region would be (0,0) (0,4) and (4,4).


Yes, The points fall below the line y = x will give us x > y and hence it is the favorable region.
Refer this article for more info on Geometric Probabilities http://gmatclub.com/blog/2013/02/geomet ... -the-gmat/

apoorvasrivastva wrote:
In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,5). If a point (x,y) is selected at random from the triangular region, What is the probability that x-y>0 ?

A. 1/5
B. 1/3
c. 1/2
D. 2/3
E. 4/5


Image
_________________
2020 MBA Applicants: Introduce Yourself Here!

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jul 2016
Posts: 5
In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 17:08
Taking the third vertex as (4,4) means, to me, x=y not x>y. am I wrong?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59727
In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 20:51
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 481
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 10:54
Bunuel wrote:
sagarsabnis wrote:
In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,5). If a point (x,y) is selected at random from the triangular region, What is the probability that x-y>0 ?

A. 1/5
B. 1/3
c. 1/2
D. 2/3
E. 4/5

please help with this one.


We have right triangle with the area=4*5/2=10. Consider the line y<x. All the points which satisfy this equation (are below the line y=x) and lie in the triangular region obviously will have x more than y, which is exactly what we want (as x>y --> x-y>0).

The probability that the point will be from this region is: Area of this region/Area of the triangle.

Favorable region is also right triangle with vertexes at (0,0) (4,0) and (4,4). As y=x intersects the side of our original triangle at the point (4,4). You''ll see it easily if you draw it. So favorable are=4*4/2=8.

P=8/10=4/5

Answer: E.


Just out of curiosity!

In the above case, what would be the probability that x-y<0 and that x=y?

I think P(x-y<0)=0.2, but don't know exactly the P(x=y). It may be 0, but don't know why.

P(x-y>0)=0.8
P(x-y<0)=0.2
P(x=y)=0
Total 1.0

Would you help me?
_________________
Hasan Mahmud
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59727
Re: In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 11:03
1
Mahmud6 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
sagarsabnis wrote:
In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and (4,5). If a point (x,y) is selected at random from the triangular region, What is the probability that x-y>0 ?

A. 1/5
B. 1/3
c. 1/2
D. 2/3
E. 4/5

please help with this one.


We have right triangle with the area=4*5/2=10. Consider the line y<x. All the points which satisfy this equation (are below the line y=x) and lie in the triangular region obviously will have x more than y, which is exactly what we want (as x>y --> x-y>0).

The probability that the point will be from this region is: Area of this region/Area of the triangle.

Favorable region is also right triangle with vertexes at (0,0) (4,0) and (4,4). As y=x intersects the side of our original triangle at the point (4,4). You''ll see it easily if you draw it. So favorable are=4*4/2=8.

P=8/10=4/5

Answer: E.


Just out of curiosity!

In the above case, what would be the probability that x-y<0 and that x=y?

I think P(x-y<0)=0.2, but don't know exactly the P(x=y). It may be 0, but don't know why.

P(x-y>0)=0.8
P(x-y<0)=0.2
P(x=y)=0
Total 1.0

Would you help me?


A line segment has only one dimension, length, no area. So, P(x=y) = 0.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 417
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In the xy- plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 11:13
Ans is shown in picture as part of my calculation
Answer is E
Attachments

File comment: Clearly ans is E
IMG_4495.JPG
IMG_4495.JPG [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 6820 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 418
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge
Re: In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 09:11
+1 for option E. A great question combining the concepts of probability and coordinate geometry. Draw the graph and the required probability will be the ratio of two areas. 8/10 i.e, 4/5 or option E.
_________________
" The few , the fearless "
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2018, 09:11

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the xy-plane, a triangle has vertexes (0,0), (4,0) and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne