GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 13:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the soil in wh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the soil in wh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Jan 2019, 09:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:16) correct 43% (01:42) wrong based on 523 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the soil in which they are growing dries out during the dry season. Therefore, if amaryllis plants kept as houseplants are to thrive, water should be withheld from them during part of the year so that the plants go dormant.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Most kinds of plants go dormant at some time or other during the year.

(B) Amaryllis are more difficult keep as houseplants than other kinds of plants are.

(C) Water should be withheld from amaryllis plants kept as houseplants during the exact time of year that corresponds to the dry season in their native habitat.

(D) Any amaryllis plant that fails to thrive is likely to have been dormant for too short a time.

(E) Going dormant benefits amaryllis plants in their native habitat in some way other than simply preventing death during overly dry periods.

Originally posted by angel2009 on 10 Mar 2010, 11:46.
Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Jan 2019, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the soil in wh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2010, 05:56
This is how I see it:

Plants go dormant because soil dries out.

Conclusion: If plants are kept in house, they should be withheld from water in order to thrive.

Clearly, you want to keep plants dormant even in home, so going dormant benefits plants in some other way.

IMO E.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the soil in wh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2012, 20:55
Hi

Could someone explain the answer here?

I thought answer is D.

Thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Mar 2012, 06:59
This was a fun question :).

ANSWER: E

On my first reading I knew it was (E), but I didn't like the "preventing death" part. I went back and eliminated all the other ones, and re-read (E), making sense of the "preventing death" part. My reasoning was as follows:

Amaryllis go dormant during the dry season. It we want amaryllis to thrive as houseplants we should also keep them dormant.

There is a little disconnect here, and thus, to be valid, the argument requires a little more. So where's the gap? We want the amaryllis to thrive indoors, but nowhere in the argument does it say that an outdoor amaryllis, in order to thrive, must go dormant.

We are looking for an answer choice that plugs up this gap.

With that in mind I eliminated as follows:

Who cares about other plants (I mean question-wise, not in general) :)

(B) Amaryllis are more difficult keep as houseplants than other kinds of plants are.

Again, who cares about other plants.

(C) Water should be withheld from amaryllis plants kept as houseplants during the exact time of year that corresponds to the dry season in their native habitat.

This may help the amaryllis go dormant (or it may not). It definitely doesn't bridge the gap, i.e., does dormancy allow an amaryllis to thrive.

(D) Any amaryllis plant that fails to thrive is likely to have been dormant for too short a time.

This answer choice shows the importance between dormancy and thriving. However, it does not address the assumption: in order to thrive an amaryllis must first go dormant.

(E) Going dormant benefits amaryllis plants in their native habitat in some way other than simply preventing death during overly dry periods. ANSWER

The key here is connecting going dormant with thriving. This answer suggests that the amaryllis doesn't just go dormant in order to survive. It leaves open the possibility that the amaryllis goes dormant in order to thrive. That is, if you want an amaryllis to thrive--either outdoors or indoors--you have to make it go dormant.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Originally posted by ChrisLele on 25 Mar 2012, 13:29.
Last edited by ChrisLele on 26 Mar 2012, 06:59, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2012, 16:14
Vote for E

Conclusion
if amaryllis plants kept as houseplants are to thrive, water should be withheld from them during part of the year so that the plants go dormant

Premise
native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the soil in which they are growing dries out during the dry season

--> Out of scope

--> Out of scope

--> exact time of year--> to extreme

--> This weaken the conclusion

(E) Going dormant benefits amaryllis plants in their native habitat in some way other than simply preventing death during overly dry periods.
--> "dormant benefits amaryllis plants" provide additionl premise to support conclusion
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-07-2013
GPA: 3.33
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2013, 04:36
raviram80 wrote:
Hi

Could someone explain the answer here?

I thought answer is D.

Thanks

In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the soil in which they are growing dries out during the dry season. Therefore, if amaryllis plants kept as houseplants are to thrive, water should be withheld from them during part of the year so that the plants go dormant.
Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

Here, the author is quite particular about the fact that just to keep Amaryllis in their natural habitat and hence refrain from watering them in that particular dry time of the year.

(A) Most kinds of plants go dormant at some time or other during the year. - Irrelevant to the conclusion made here. Whatever happens to most plants!!
(B) Amaryllis are more difficult keep as houseplants than other kinds of plants are. - Again, this is a far reaching statement which is not proved/discussed in the original assertion.
(C) Water should be withheld from amaryllis plants kept as houseplants during the exact time of year that corresponds to the dry season in their native habitat. -- The exactness of the refrain from watering is not mentioned anywhere in the original statement. This cant be the assumption.
(D) Any amaryllis plant that fails to thrive is likely to have been dormant for too short a time. - This one is quite close. However, what goes against it is that this one is considering an opposite scenario in which the plant has already died due to short dormancy. 1) the period of dormancy is strictly not spoken off , 2) We yet don't know whats happens if the plant doesn't become dormant for long enough time. Rejected!
(E) Going dormant benefits amaryllis plants in their native habitat in some way other than simply preventing death during overly dry periods. - Here, This assumption , though not spoken explicitely, makes quite sense for the argument to hold true. If there is some other benefit that just avoiding the dry season, plants would DEFINITELY need to be kept dry to maintain natural habitat conditions.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 09:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the soil in wh &nbs [#permalink] 06 Jan 2019, 09:27

In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the soil in wh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap