GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 00:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In two months, the legal minimum wage in the country of Kirlandia will

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
Re: In two months, the legal minimum wage in the country of Kirlandia will  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 15:52
how do we know if the policy include trainees? i thought the case in which trainee's wages kept as the same, while only that small proportion of trained workers are promoted a bit above then them.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In two months, the legal minimum wage in the country of Kirlandia will  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 06:53
After the counter point(Opponents....), the argument states 'In fact its impact'. There is no 'however' type of break point to show whether it is author's statement or the continuation of Opponents' statement. So can't 'its' of the last statement be referring to 'Inflation'?
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 18:48
Hi, could I check, what is the antecendent of 'its' in 'its wages' ? What impact are they referring to? Impact of the inflation? or the impact of the legal minimum wage? The antecedent of its can only be a noun right? Please help to clarify. Thanks.

I interpreted this as the impact of the inflation on wages.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2019, 02:44
Leonaann wrote:
Hi, could I check, what is the antecendent of 'its' in 'its wages' ? What impact are they referring to? Impact of the inflation? or the impact of the legal minimum wage? The antecedent of its can only be a noun right? Please help to clarify. Thanks.

I interpreted this as the impact of the inflation on wages.

The passage primarily discusses an increase of the minimum wage in Kirlandia. The author states that "opponents of this increase have argued that the resulting rise in wages will drive the inflation rate up." Here, opponents are discussing the possible result of "this increase," which refers back to the increase in minimum wage introduced in the first sentence.

The author goes on to say that "In fact its impact on wages will probably be negligible." "Its impact" refers to the impact of "this increase" -- or, the increase in minimum wage. So, the main conclusion of the argument is that the "impact [of the increased minimum wage] on wages will probably be negligible."

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 17:58
The argument is that the impact of raising the minimum wage from $5 to $5.50 will be negligible and will not lead to inflation.

This is based on the evidence that only a very small portion of workers receive <$5.50 per hour.

What weakens this?
A is incorrect - time of employment is irrelevant to whether those employees receive a specific wage or not.
B is incorrect - we still know that these "some" fall under the evidence given of "only a small portion"
C is correct because if MANY employees need to reward skilled workers by paying them above the minimum wage and then a new baseline wage is established then Many workers will start to receive more pay and thus the impact of the minimum pay increase may not be negligible.

D is incorrect = we don't care where growth occured we only occur how many workers are under min wage.
E is incorrect - the minimum wage is typically insufficient to many, but that doesn't attack the argument.

+1 Kudos if you like my post pls!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In two months, the legal minimum wage in the country of Kirlandia will   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2019, 17:58

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

In two months, the legal minimum wage in the country of Kirlandia will

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics