GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 16:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests
Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 09:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:44) correct 33% (00:55) wrong based on 270 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 25 Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.

(A) they still expect to live better than their parents have

(B) they still expect to live better than their parents did

(C) they still expect to live better than their parents had

(D) still expecting to live better than their parents had

(E) still expecting to live better than did their parents

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 10:36
Tricky one for me. I chose A, didn’t choose had because wouldn’t that be assuming they aren’t living anymore? Also though did was wrong and semicolon eliminates D and E so A by POE.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 10:51
generis wrote:

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

The first choice is between A,B,C or D,E concerning the start of the underlined portion.
I will go with the first three option as they make the correct use of the pronoun "they" in this instance.

Now we have to decide between the verb at the end of the underlined section and as we are talking about their parent's life as a past event, we have to use a past form of the respective verb, hence we can eliminate A.

Now that it is down to B and C, try the following;

They expect to do better than their parents did
They expect to have better than their parents have

I am not sure if one can employ this strategy in general or whether it shouldn't be used.

My final choice is B.

Regards,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Manager
Manager
G
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 11:30
generis wrote:

In (A), “parents have(lived)…” this means lived only up to this point. In (B), we can see a better comparison. They still expect to live better than their parents did when they were in the same stage as their children are now (B) also maintains parallelism.
In (C), "Parent had..." past perfect tense is incorrect.
After semicolon, only an independent clause can be present. In (D) and (E), "still expecting" is not independent.

Answer should be (B)
VP
VP
D
Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 11:57
gmatconqueror2018 wrote:
Tricky one for me. I chose A, didn’t choose had because wouldn’t that be assuming they aren’t living anymore? Also though did was wrong and semicolon eliminates D and E so A by POE.

gmatconqueror2018 , i think your choice A is wrong because:

The author compares two periods of time - the period of time when parents lived, and the period of time when their childen live and expect a better life.

Another reason A is incorrect is that in this option "have" is used incorrectly, if it were "they still expect to have a better life than the life their parents had " i think in this case it would be correct. so in other words A has parrallism issue coupled with verb tense :)

A option looks like this sentence :) Every snail after drinking alcohol, expects a better speed than a sober snail had.
Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 12:05
dave13 wrote:
[Option A looks like this sentence:]
Every snail after drinking alcohol, expects a better speed than a sober snail had.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is brilliant—probably the funniest example I've read in long time.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 12:32
B. They still expect to live better than their parents did...parallelism

So, and is B

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 16:55
My choice is B . It is comparing between past and present so perfect tense is not compatible here as it is used in option A. So B is better choice

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 16:55
My choice is B . It is comparing between past and present so perfect tense is not compatible here as it is used in option A. So B is better choice

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 23:15
I still am not sold on this one. Major confusion between A and B

Americans are re evaluating assumptions about the future so they can very well be comparing their living status with that of their parents till the present time

Given the thought of the sentence i would read A as
(A) they still expect to live better than their parents have (lived so far )

B - this option is also an equal contender as mentioned by a fellow friend who gave the drunk snail analogy

i will wait for some enlightenment
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 05:54
Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could

Comparison error. Americans still expect to live better than their parents expected to live.

IMO is B as "did" correctly refers to "expected to live"
Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 15:25
generis wrote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

•Choice A is incorrect because have cannot function as the auxiliary of live [and have must be capable of functioning as an auxiliary of live in order to keep the comparison PARALLEL]; have live is ungrammatical

•Choice B, which substitutes did for have, is corrrect and logically places the parents' action in the past
and we can write the verbs in parallel
. . . they still expect to live better than their parents did [live]

•In C and D, had places the parents' action in the past but is wrong as an auxiliary, just as have is in A
That is, use a test in which you add the auxiliary onto the verb that controls, because this is a parallelism issue:
. . . they still expect to live better than their parents had live

• Choices D and E are faulty because neither is [sic] the independent clause that is needed to complete a grammatical sentence.

COMMENTS

Semicolon? IF a semicolon shows up, unless the sentence is an unusual list, then the semicolon must be between two complete independent clauses.
Two ICs, no connector
Most people write with their right hand; worldwide, only 10 percent of people use their left hand to write.

Two ICs, transitional phrase connector
The pharmacist was overworked and exhausted; as a result, she forgot to put labels on the bottles and had to start all over again.
Other words that can come after the semicolon include:
• a coordinating conjunction (but)
• conjunctive adverbs (accordingly, thus, meanwhile, consequently)

A semicolon is needed for lists in which a comma would confuse
These contrasting colors grab attention when set next to one another: yellow and purple; red and green; and orange and blue.

Both D and E use a semicolon that is not between two full clauses, but rather,
between (1) one subordinate clause "Still expecting to live . . . " and
(2) one full IC ("Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future.")

• Comparison
"Than" is a comparison word. Whatever is on each side of the comparison word must be parallel.
With auxiliary verbs such as have, has, and did, add the auxiliary onto and before the "main" verb for the subject
whose verb has been "shortened" to an auxiliary.

If the auxiliary + main makes sense, the option is okay on the parallelism front.
In this case only option B makes sense.

Arro44 (Chris) wrote the best answer.
Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 19:45
ELLIPSIS and SUBSTITUTION
Quote:

NCRanjan wrote:
I still am not sold on this one. Major confusion between A and B

Americans are re evaluating assumptions about the future so they can very well be comparing their living status with that of their parents till the present time

B - this option is also an equal contender as mentioned by a fellow friend who gave the drunk snail analogy

i will wait for some enlightenment

NCRanjan , I cannot promise enlightenment, but perhaps I can shed a little light.
I can see why anyone would think that both A and B were correct.
In spoken English, the error in (A) is common.

The answer is indeed an official GMAC answer.
Quote:

I agree; Americans can be comparing their present living status with that of their parents until now.
In that case we would write almost exactly what you wrote, with one change.
The word lived has to be included. "Americans still expect to live better than their parents have lived."

Unfortunately, we can't create that sentence with our options.
lived is not available for omission, and so it cannot be "implied," either.
See the explanation below.

Further, it's true that past perfect can connote "from the past until now."
We still conjugate past perfect, though, as "have lived" and present as "live."

• This question involves ellipsis and substitution.
-- In ellipsis, words that are present in the sentence are not repeated.
-- Stated differently, in elliptical construction we omit some words.
Those words are then implied in the places in which they have been omitted.
Often those omitted words will be shortened with substitution—short words that can substitute for the omitted words.

Pure ellipsis: He will be a world-class dancer, and she will, too. [Omitted verb phrase: be a world-class dancer]
Ellipsis and substitution (this question, and): Electric cars are supposed to save gas, and they do. [they = electric cars, do = save gas]

In order to be omitted, however, the exact words first have to be present someplace in the sentence.

On the GMAT, we must be able to insert the omitted words, exactly as they were,
and maintain correct grammar. We cannot change the words that have been omitted.

In other words, because the first verb is live, we cannot insert lived in order to use have lived.
Lived is not present in the original clause.

• Takeaway: the verb that is present "controls" what we may use in elliptical construction.

Correct: She has not lived better than her parents have [lived].

Incorrect: She does not expect to live better than her parents have.
Problem: LIVED cannot be "implied by omission."
There is no "lived" to omit.

Live is present and coupled with the first subject, "they."
The second subject, "their parents," is coupled with an "elided" verb (part of the verb is supposed to be implied).

We can attach "live" to the auxiliary verb have that is coupled with "their parents"
to see whether the auxiliary verb can stand alone.
She does not expect to live better than her parents have live. :(

The words do, does, and did often stand in or substitute for verb phrases.
Marisol works harder to finish projects than her sister does.
Andreas liked horror movies more than Ricardo did.

Have and will cannot stand in for verb phrases in the same way that the words do, does, and did can stand in.

Thus in A and B we have

A) . . . they still expect to live better than their parents have [live]

B) . . . they still expect to live better than their parents did [live]
Did their parents live well?
Yes, their parents did live well.

Takeaways:
• if elliptical construction is an issue, be sure that the omitted words appear someplace else in the sentence.
If a word was not in the sentence to begin with, we can't "imply" it by omission because there is nothing to omit
• if a verb tense shift exists, find the option that both makes the shift clear and does so grammatically
do, does, and did are auxiliary verbs that can stand in for entire verb phrases; those words often help keep the comparison parallel

I hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 04:46

The key is the semicolon ";" It requires INDEPENDENT CLAUSE on both sides.
For this reason, eliminate (D) and (E).

Eliminate (A) and (C) because of "had" and "have"
expect to live better than their parents "have what" ? "had what"?
Only (B), the word "did" can properly refers to the word "live"

Ans: (B)
GMAT Club Bot
Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about &nbs [#permalink] 09 Dec 2018, 04:46

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap