GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jun 2018, 23:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (00:36) correct 30% (00:40) wrong based on 287 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.

(A) they still expect to live better than their parents have
(B) they still expect to live better than their parents did
(C) they still expect to live better than their parents had
(D) still expecting to live better than their parents had
(E) still expecting to live better than did their parents

Please explain your answers. I want to understand the concept here. Specifically, I would like to know how you can eliminate (C), if at all you can.
Thanks.

Originally posted by eyunni on 14 Sep 2007, 12:34.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Jun 2018, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Manager
Manager
Re: Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2007, 14:05
eyunni wrote:
428. Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.

Please explain your answers. I want to understand the concept here. Specifically, I would like to know how you can eliminate (C), if at all you can.
Thanks.

It has to be between C and D.

A)cannot be as it should be had instead of have
B) parents 'had' lived not 'did'
C) Possible
D) Possible
E) again usage of did.
now between C and D, it should be C for the sake of parellism. is it not C ??

as an aside, you should not have put that disclaimer about C, people might get biased not to choose C (unless it was a trick of yours :-) )
CEO
CEO
Re: Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2007, 14:37
DE are wrong because the semicolon denotes an independent clause.

A is wrong. although it is omitting the action verb and keeping the auxiliary verb, it is not parallel. there is no auxiliary verb & action verb in the first place.

C is wrong. Same reason as A.

Therefore B is correct.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2007, 10:19
eyunni wrote:
428. Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.

Thanks.

B seems correct to me.
have, had are wrong..
You want to live as someone "did".

Not as someone "had lived" or someone has lived.
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2007, 21:15
eyunni wrote:

Thanks.

Honestly I would have guessed C if it were not for your statement after the question... owell.

Elim DE right away, these cause sentence fragments.

Still don't quite understand why C is not correct, but can elim A.

B.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2007, 21:46
Agree with B.

Essentially, it appears to be the purest replacement for "expect to live better than their parents lived"
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2007, 08:17
cruiser wrote:

B seems correct to me.
have, had are wrong..
You want to live as someone "did".

Not as someone "had lived" or someone has lived.

I was a bit confused between the choice of "did" or "had".

But I think it is correct to use the simple past rather than the Past perfect simple.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2007, 09:02
(A) they still expect to live better than their parents have (have lived=>wrong)
(B) they still expect to live better than their parents did (lived=>OK)
(C) they still expect to live better than their parents had (had lived=>we do not need past perfect here=>wrong)
(D) still expecting to live better than their parents had (had lived=>we do not need past perfect here+still expecting wrongly modifies the whole preceding clause=>wrong)
(E) still expecting to live better than did their parents (still expecting wrongly modifies the whole preceding clause)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 11:46
eyunni wrote:

Thanks.

After semicolon an independent sentence should follow. So DE out.

than their parents have and than their parents had both of them have auxiliary verbs but not the action verb. but not so well as they once thought they could used could - a past tense.

So in B - than their parents did looks good.

B is the answer.

Cheers,
SD

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 12:00
B is correct.

The missing verb is "live", which should retain the form for parallellism and is assumed where ever the verb is missing.

For e.g. in choice B, if you fill in the missing verb:
they still expect to "live" better than their parents "did live", but not so well as they once thought they "could live".

In no other option does the verb "live" fit in as it does in this choice.
In choices A & C ... the verb expected is "lived" as in "have lived" and "had lived". The verb live cannot be changed to lived. That's why these options are wrong.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2014, 12:59
I am not sure why the answer can not be A? Why do we need a past tense (did/ had) in this answer?

Some one please explain?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2015, 20:14
Kingscrest wrote:
I am not sure why the answer can not be A? Why do we need a past tense (did/ had) in this answer?

Some one please explain?

Answer A omits the main verb *live* and keep the auxiliary verb *have*, assuming that *they still expect to live better than their parents have lived*.

You can only use auxiliary verb to replace the main verb when the two tenses in the sentence are the same.

In this case,
- *still expect to live* -> Present tense
- *have* -> present perfect tense
-> Wrong answer.

Answer A would be correct if it use *their parents have lived*
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Human Resources, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 23:04
Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.

IS THE OA B??@Mikemcgarrry
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 23:23
Ansuman493 wrote:

IS THE OA B??@Mikemcgarrry

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about &nbs [#permalink] 04 Jun 2018, 23:23

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap