GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 22:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD motivation essay length

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge
INSEAD motivation essay length  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 14:54
Hello all!

I've been a lurker on this forum for a couple months now, but just finally decided to make an account this week. Thanks to everyone for the helpful insight!

I am currently polishing my application for round 3 deadline next week. I've got just about everything complete, but wanted some advice that I wasn't able to find already posted on this forum.

The motivation essays have word limit suggestions (approx 500, approx 400, or approx 300 words)
What do they mean by approximately? I'm currently sitting at about 558 words on my first question. Am I going to get dinged for going nearly 60 words over their recommendation? I've already trimmed it down quite a bit from my first draft. The fourth optional question calls for 300 words approx, and my current draft is sitting at 378 words.

My gut is telling me approximately means it should round to the recommended number, so approx 500 would be 450-549 words. Any input from the GMATclub would be much appreciated!

Regards,
EaglesRugby
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
GPA: 3.8
Re: INSEAD motivation essay length  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 15:07
My rule of thumb is to always have fewer words than the "approx". Less words means better synthesis. If you can say the same in less words it means you were not being synthetic enough before.
When I wrote mine I pointed initially at 550 and then read it many times until get it down to 495 or less.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 22:17
Hi, i think you shouldnt be too focussed on the word count (it says approx for a reason). I actually went about 15% over the limit on all essays and got accepted so focus on what you want to say and not stress too much on the wordcount...
INSEAD Thread Master
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 22:28
EaglesRugby wrote:
Hello all!

I've been a lurker on this forum for a couple months now, but just finally decided to make an account this week. Thanks to everyone for the helpful insight!

I am currently polishing my application for round 3 deadline next week. I've got just about everything complete, but wanted some advice that I wasn't able to find already posted on this forum.

The motivation essays have word limit suggestions (approx 500, approx 400, or approx 300 words)
What do they mean by approximately? I'm currently sitting at about 558 words on my first question. Am I going to get dinged for going nearly 60 words over their recommendation? I've already trimmed it down quite a bit from my first draft. The fourth optional question calls for 300 words approx, and my current draft is sitting at 378 words.

My gut is telling me approximately means it should round to the recommended number, so approx 500 would be 450-549 words. Any input from the GMATclub would be much appreciated!

Regards,
EaglesRugby

Hello EaglesRugby, approx, well, they KNOW you are likely to write more than less! It's generally accepted for you to go over by 10% as long as you don't do it on all the essays - and this is with a firm limit, not an approx limit - so you are fine. Just make sure it is succinct, compelling, and the reader can understand why you needed some extra words to establish your case. Good luck!

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

SVP
SVP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 23:11
Top Contributor
EaglesRugby wrote:
Hello all!

Regards,
EaglesRugby

Hi EaglesRuby

You certainly wont get dinged for going over the limit by a bit, and about 10-15% is typically ok at INSEAD. The 300 word one, we would recommend you try and cut down to about 330-340, and that would be pretty doable just by playing around with the language rather than removing any substance.

They will ultimately judge your essays by the content and wont really pay much attention to the word limits as long as they are not way over and there is no sense of dragging an essay with unnecessary details.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 06:17
Hi all, as a matter of fact, the system wouldn't save the file if your word count exceeds the recommended number.
So it's not "approx 300". It actually means "below 300".
A lot of applicants only found that out when they pasted the essays over to INSEAD application page and they needed to spend time and efforts sizing down the essays. Hope future applicants who see this post be careful with this trick!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: INSEAD motivation essay length &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jun 2018, 06:17

INSEAD motivation essay length

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MBAPrepCoach, Hideto

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap