GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 May 2019, 12:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

INSEAD vs. STERN

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school would you choose for Investment Banking in Asia (Career Switch from non-finance)?

• 40% [4]
  • 60% [6]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
INSEAD vs. STERN  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 23:32
Hi everyone,

Recently, I applied and gained acceptance to both schools (January Intake INSEAD). I would like to go into Investment Banking post graduation, but I also want to work at a BB in Southeast Asia. I tried to do my due diligence, but cannot find much useful resources regarding placements for INSEAD and Stern in Southeast Asia.

Some of my stats:

- Non-finance background
- Looking into working in Singapore or Hong Kong
- American

Any input will be much appreciated.
Thanks everyone!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Re: INSEAD vs. STERN  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 23:39
For the same reason I'd say go to Stern if you wanted to do IB in Manhattan, I say go to INSEAD to do IB in Asia.

Recruitment is strong at the Singapore Campus, and once there you have them an Uber away.

As for placement, every major IB firm recruits at INSEAD, together with the boutique firms, so you won't have a problem if you're well prepared.

One thing I'd check if I were you is the recruitment cycle. If you start in January, I believe they start recruiting right away (at least in FBL), so you'll have to do your prep pre INSEAD (with the help of the school which organizes treks, mock interviews, etc etc)

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 00:03
rtbs15 wrote:
For the same reason I'd say go to Stern if you wanted to do IB in Manhattan, I say go to INSEAD to do IB in Asia.

Recruitment is strong at the Singapore Campus, and once there you have them an Uber away.

As for placement, every major IB firm recruits at INSEAD, together with the boutique firms, so you won't have a problem if you're well prepared.

One thing I'd check if I were you is the recruitment cycle. If you start in January, I believe they start recruiting right away (at least in FBL), so you'll have to do your prep pre INSEAD (with the help of the school which organizes treks, mock interviews, etc etc)

Wow, thanks a lot for your insight and your fast reply. I really appreciate it!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 02:11
SEA, and specifically Singapore - you should go with INSEAD. Fantastic school where every major consulting, banking and other firms recruit.

A word of caution - The only thing with Investment Banking in Singapore is that it’s a fairly small industry with limited opportunities. And at this present moment, the banking industry ain’t doing particularly well in terms of retaining employees and paying bonuses etc.

Anyway, If you only want to work in Singapore or Hong Kong, then being at INSEAD is your best bet, especially from the schools you’ve been successfully offered a candidacy.

I would recommend you speak with Charles from employer services at insead. Great guy. Will help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
INSEAD vs. STERN  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 03:55
byungsooo wrote:
Hi everyone,

Recently, I applied and gained acceptance to both schools (January Intake INSEAD). I would like to go into Investment Banking post graduation, but I also want to work at a BB in Southeast Asia. I tried to do my due diligence, but cannot find much useful resources regarding placements for INSEAD and Stern in Southeast Asia.

Some of my stats:

- Non-finance background
- Looking into working in Singapore or Hong Kong
- American

Any input will be much appreciated.
Thanks everyone!

You highlighted that you are non finance background, which really makes it hard for you to be recruited by IB. Also, they usually prefer experience in that field. I think you need to consult those points with the career office in both schools.

In general, you want Asia then go to INSEAD, although Stern is powerhouse in that field but within US.

Good luck
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 06:44
akshayk - thank you so much for your insight. Yeah I have a lot of questions about the market in SEA, trying to look for someone who can provide me some answers lol. Would you happen to know about the market there? Anyways, really appreciate your help!

Mo2men - thank you for your reply. Yeah, so I applied to schools that will provide internship opportunities for career switcher and based on past students results, they seemed fairly successful. If you have some examples or contrary beliefs, mind sharing your thoughts? Thanks again!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: INSEAD vs. STERN   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2017, 06:44

INSEAD vs. STERN

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap